Yanks and Brits .... common language .... two cultures

Things that come to mind: 1) Aluminium - al-YOO-min-EE-um (GB) a-LU-min-um (US) 2) Herbs - hard "H" (GB) dropped "H" (US) 3) Pumps (US) Courts (GB) 4) Lift (GB) Elevator (US) 5) Hood (US) Bonnet (GB 6) Boot (GB) Trunk (US) 7) Suspenders (GB) Garters (US) :D po-TA-to (GB) po-TAY-to (US) . . . let's call the whole thing off!

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things that come to mind:

1) Aluminium - al-YOO-min-EE-um (GB) a-LU-min-um (US)

2) Herbs - hard "H" (GB) dropped "H" (US)

3) Pumps (US) Courts (GB)

4) Lift (GB) Elevator (US)

5) Hood (US) Bonnet (GB

6) Boot (GB) Trunk (US)

7) Suspenders (GB) Garters (US)

:D po-TA-to (GB) po-TAY-to (US)

. . . let's call the whole thing off!

Sadly, no-one here says po-TA-to, though we *do* say to-MA-to

Things that come to mind:

1) Aluminium - al-YOO-min-EE-um (GB) a-LU-min-um (US)

2) Herbs - hard "H" (GB) dropped "H" (US)

3) Pumps (US) Courts (GB)

4) Lift (GB) Elevator (US)

5) Hood (US) Bonnet (GB

6) Boot (GB) Trunk (US)

7) Suspenders (GB) Garters (US)

:D po-TA-to (GB) po-TAY-to (US)

. . . let's call the whole thing off!

9) Braces (GB) Suspenders (US)

10) Pavemant (GB) Sidewalk (US)

11) Tube or Underground (GB) Subway (US)

12) Subway (UK) Underpass (US)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 weeks later...

The "Hells Angels" are a part of the US Government?? Put the crack pipe DOWN, baby!

Trust me on this the Hells Angels are not associated in any way, shape or form with any part of the US Government. Never have been-never will be. After 30+ years in dealing with ALL arms of the Government-The Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, CIA, FBI, DEA, FAA, NASA, Secret Service, the Bureau of ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS as well as INTERPOL . . . believe me it just is not so.

I have heard this bull**** line so many times from so many different

sources all claiming to be "in the know" I just want to vomit whenever it is

brought up.

Whoever started this "rumor" has OBVIOUSLY never encountered a Hells'

Angel or even spoken to one and unlikely even knows who Virgil "Sonny" Barger is.

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

That's just typical of the conspiracy theories that do the rounds. I heard a good one the other day: The British Government are deliberately underfunding the police to justify them handing out on-the-spot-fines to raise revenue!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

That's a good one, Dr. Shoe! I also like the one about the . . . oh, hell-never mind! Saying ANYTHING would only add fuel to the fire.

Tisk tisk Anita C.………If you read my statement more closely as well the quote, I was making the point of the BATF sounds like the Hell's Angles if you did not know that they were part of the U.S. Government. In the past the BATF have caused quite a stir acting like a bunch of thugs any way. :rofl: Any way the Hell's Angles just like any other gang or group, they will have some bad apples.

Now, look who is starting rumrs!!?? Hmmmmmmm... :D

The "Hells Angels" are a part of the US Government?? Put the crack pipe DOWN, baby!

Trust me on this the Hells Angels are not associated in any way, shape or form with any part of the US Government. Never have been-never will be. After 30+ years in dealing with ALL arms of the Government-The Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, CIA, FBI, DEA, FAA, NASA, Secret Service, the Bureau of ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS as well as INTERPOL . . . believe me it just is not so.

I have heard this bull**** line so many times from so many different

sources all claiming to be "in the know" I just want to vomit whenever it is

brought up.

Whoever started this "rumor" has OBVIOUSLY never encountered a Hells'

Angel or even spoken to one and unlikely even knows who Virgil "Sonny" Barger is.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

We are different culturally from the British. Sophistication does not indicate superiority - never has, never will. Having moved in many circles at many levels I have found many intellectually stimulating conversations at summer Barbeques. I have also attended several formal occassions hosted by the well bred and have been bored out of my mind. I avoid people who are snobs and cannot tollerate condescention. Again we are ALL different with nobody being any better than the other.

Oh absolutely! The most engaging guy to talk to in my depot is one of the fork-lift truck drivers who is wasted in his job. I've also come across some "gentlemen" with posh accents who are actually complete morons.

Careful, Guys and Girls, we don't want any more slanging matches. I put up this post in an attempt to find out and understand why the two cultures are so different, not to slag each other off. As Fox said, we don't want this to degenerate into and anti-American forum. Xa

• 4 weeks later...

Yanks can be eccentric too !

A wandering minstrel is due to complete his journey along England's coast-to-coast path, having sung Schubert's Die Winterreise every night along the way.

American opera singer, David Pisaro, 28, has spent the last fortnight walking the 200 miles from St. Bees, Cumbria to Robin Hood's Bay in North Yorkshire.

Every night he stopped to perform the song cycle which is about a lone walker battling against the elements.

His audiences ranged from a 100-strong crowd, to a farmer and his friends.

Xa

It was interesting to see "The Office" getting awards on the other side of the pond. Apparently it's going to be the next big thing over there!

American and British English speakers, You are not alone. There are also different versions of Dutch, French and German.

Dutch has its own Belgian and South-African version: Flemish (Belgium) and Afrikaans (South-Africa). The difference between Dutch from the North and Flemish is the same as British and American English. Flemish is more singin, with a soft g, softer. Afrikaans is 17th century Dutch with a English grammar and many influences from African languages, French, Malaysian, etc. See www.afrikaans.com

German has its own differences, as a example Swiss German (Schweisich Deutsch) is very different from German in Germany. Sometimes even excellent German speakers cannot understand Swiss German.

There's also a difference between French from France and Frenc from Quebec

Woman Boots, queen of the shoes

I think I read some where some years ago that Afrikaan has been described as a language in its own right because it is now so different from the Dutch from which it came.

Yes, indeed. But it is a very interesting language. Afrikaans has many elements from 17th century Dutch, and went its own way from the 17th century.

16 and 17th century English is readable. 16 and 17th century Dutch for 21st-century Dutch speakers not. The Dutch language has changed too much.

Woman Boots, queen of the shoes

In doing research I have to read 16th and 17th century Dutch/Flemish, as well as modern Dutch. It is easier for me to read the 16th and 17th century Dutch (though I have to struggle all the time with it), than a contemporary newspaper, especially because of vocabulary. In reading older versions of languages, it helps if you do not know all the modern rules, which I do not when it comes to Dutch. One of the reasons 16th and 17th English is easier to read is because most published versions have been updated to modern spelling, etc. In the original version, they are much more difficult. I also teach U.S. university students who often have difficulty with the originals from the 16th and 17th century, as well as academic British English. On "The Office" winning a Gloden Globe award, remember that this award is given by the foreign press, not by Americans. BBC America is watched by very few Americans, as best I can tell, but I guess the foreign press watches. TV is yet another way that Americans see the rest of the world virtually only through America eyes.

Go gently through life.

There's also a difference between French from France and Frenc from Quebec

As also from Louisiana Cajun French (it's speakers are primarily descendents from the region of France formerly known as Acadia). The State of Louisiana hosted the French Trade Minister around about the time of the New Orleans Worlds Fair (which flopped big time) ~1985, and the French legation said that the Cajun French was still understandable, apparently more so that "Quebecois".

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

...This is why Americans continue to enjoy Benny Hill and Monty Python yet "Faulty Towers" is largely incomprehensible. Try them with "Only Fools And Horses" they would be completely lost.

Ironically, programs like "Keeping Up Appearances" seem quite popular but on a level not realised by the makers- Americans tend to see it as a humourous documentary about middle-class England other than the complete caricature intended.

As an American, I love Benny Hill, Monty Python AND Fawlty Towers. In fact, I own the complete Monty Python and Fawlty Towers on DVD.

As for "Keeping Up Appearances", I don't like it at all.

American Network Television is trash. I don't watch it. Nothing beats a good book anyway. It's a shame that the entire world bases it's image of the USA on what they see in these programs.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I used to work in television.

I came across a website about words that could be confusing and embarrassing in the UK & US

The **COMPLETE** us & uk confusions

I loved that link. Thank you Robert.

They sound no better than the Hell's Angles if you did not know they were part of the U.S. Government law enforcement..........

I suspect where the confusion was created is that it was misinterpreted that Hoverfly was referring to the Hell's Angels as being part of the US Government whereas it was clear to this American that he was referring to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF).

...BBC America is watched by very few Americans, as best I can tell, but I guess the foreign press watches. TV is yet another way that Americans see the rest of the world virtually only through America eyes.

While this American enjoys watching BBC America on his cable system, I do agree with your last sentence. But thanks to the internet, I get my news from foreign sources (such as the Telegraph).

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

There is a guy here in Australia, origionally from South Africa, Bryce Courtney author of "The Power of One" and many others who in doing his research on novels based on Australian history said that there was an Oz version of the English language was born only 10 years after Oz was settled. It had to come up with a new version because of the new words coming from all the newly discovered plants and animals. And a new language has to start some where. Jeff

There is a guy here in Australia, origionally from South Africa, Bryce Courtney author of "The Power of One" and many others who in doing his research on novels based on Australian history said that there was an Oz version of the English language was born only 10 years after Oz was settled.

It had to come up with a new version because of the new words coming from all the newly discovered plants and animals.

And a new language has to start some where.

Jeff

You also have to remember that most of the early "settlers" were transportees mostly from London's East End which is why there is so much slang and some cockney pronounciation.

It has been said that to imitate an Australian accent you just speak through clenched teeth and phrase every sentence like a question. :D

Dr Shoe I am not sure about the clenched teeth bit; maybe it comes from the fact that we don’t feel the need to move our lips very much when talking because we don’t want to appear as a loud mouth so it appears as though we clench our teeth. :D The turning of a sentence into a question is to do with I think lifting our tone at the end of a sentence instead of dropping the tone. If you listen carefully to the same sentence done with a dropped tone and then with a lifted tone the lifted one always sounds happier. And that’s the way we are, just plain happier. And why wouldn’t we be when the pomes gave us such a beautiful country, the reason they have been whinging ever since. :( Jeff

Dr Shoe

I am not sure about the clenched teeth bit; maybe it comes from the fact that we don’t feel the need to move our lips very much when talking because we don’t want to appear as a loud mouth so it appears as though we clench our teeth. :(

The turning of a sentence into a question is to do with I think lifting our tone at the end of a sentence instead of dropping the tone. If you listen carefully to the same sentence done with a dropped tone and then with a lifted tone the lifted one always sounds happier.

And that’s the way we are, just plain happier.

And why wouldn’t we be when the pomes gave us such a beautiful country, the reason they have been whinging ever since. :o

Jeff

So very true! :D

The clenched teeth bit comes from Paul Hogan and he says it's because Australians hate getting flies in thier mouths! :rofl:

Mind you, plenty of Brits talk through clenched teeth too. Has anyone seen Tara Palmer-Tomkinson (?) speak?

PS The rising tone makes it sound like the speaker is desperately seeking approval of what they're saying, know what I mean?

Perhaps it's something to do with the current government! :(

• 1 month later...

Can you believe that 'those' silly southerners actually talk this way???? (I must add my own persnal favorite and oft used _expression to the following list of Southernese. . . . that would be the use of conditional "might can" and its past tense form "might could" as in "I might can make it to the show (that's a 'movie' for you yankees) on Friday.") ************************************ Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them. Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc., make up "a mess." Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder." Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is -- as in: "Going to town, be back directly." Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table. (It means a hug or a kiss) All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well. Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'. (And about a gallon of Sweet Iced Tea) Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20. Only a Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash. No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn. A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb. (It actually means "getting ready to do something or going to do something). Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines. We don't do "queues," we do "lines," and when we're "in line," we talk to everybody! Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage. Southerners never refer to one person as "y'all." Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them. Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food. When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner! Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk. And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way. To those of you who're still a little embarrassed by your Southern-ness: Take two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the morning. Bless your heart! And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Southern-ness as a second language! And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, y'all need a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads "I ain't from the South but I got here as fast as I could." Bless your hearts, y'all have a blessed day.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

We have areas in the UK that have similar tendency to abuse the language in a same way (just the words are different). I come from the "West Country"- Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. Bristol is the capital of the West Country. Yon = That over there. ('e's in yon car) Scrage = A small scratch or graze Rubbage = Rubbish garbage or trash. Also a large quantity of items that are of low value. Grokel = A "foreigner" or visitor from another part of the country or tourist. (Emmet in cornwall) Like the American South you don't take a flashing amber light as intention to turn. You'd be lucky to see an indicator being used at all! Varm = Farm, garden, small-holding or any place where food is grown or livestock kept. I've even heard of Bristol Zoo being referred to as a varm! There are a lot of people of Welsh descent in Bristol so you get phrases like: "'Oo's coat is that jacket?" Or " I'm going to town, isn't it?" (Here in East London we tend to say innit,) innit?

• 6 months later...

The difference between British and American culture? Well here some thing I doubt the yanks could ever do. A new show called the Jerry Springer Opera. Yep its an opera about Jerry Springer and all the talent he has has on his show. Jeff

I've been meaning to post this article from August.

It seems that 'Coupling' hit the NBC networks a while back and lasted all of 2 weeks. I have my ideas why anything with a modicum of sophistication bombed in US ratings, and why our garbage shows are popular, but I won't mention them here.

Xa

We still get Coupling in Canada, on BBC Canada :-) It's quite funny but more than a little odd. I think every guy in the show has had sex with every woman in the show. And by inference, one of the women maybe with another of the women. Ah, well, it's a good show. We don't get it too often but try to watch when it comes on. That and WRC.

As for why things bomb in the US, the theory aomgst some of the people I know is that with Briitish telly you need to know stuff (history, science, geography, etc.) whereas with American TV you need to laugh when the soundtrack tells you to (Pavlovian conditioning).

We still get Coupling in Canada, on BBC Canada :-) It's quite funny but more than a little odd. I think every guy in the show has had sex with every woman in the show. And by inference, one of the women maybe with another of the women. Ah, well, it's a good show. We don't get it too often but try to watch when it comes on. That and WRC.

As for why things bomb in the US, the theory aomgst some of the people I know is that with Briitish telly you need to know stuff (history, science, geography, etc.) whereas with American TV you need to laugh when the soundtrack tells you to (Pavlovian conditioning).

Yes, I'm a 'Coupling' fan. I think the Patrick and Sally trilogy (starts with Patrick dreaming that Sally phoned him at 3am for help in removing a spider from her bedroom) is 'sweet' on a simplistic level, but has so many undercurrents that multiple replays on a vcr are necessary to be aware of them all.

Xa

• 3 months later...