Yanks and Brits .... common language .... two cultures

[

While this American enjoys watching BBC America on his cable system, I do agree with your last sentence. But thanks to the internet, I get my news from foreign sources (such as the Telegraph).

So how do you enjoy "Little Britain"?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 6 months later...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couplings is already being shown on an American cable TV channel....BBC America. I've watched a couple of episodes but never could really get into it....to much else going on at the time it is showing.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Couplings is already being shown on an American cable TV channel....BBC America. I've watched a couple of episodes but never could really get into it....to much else going on at the time it is showing.

.... I know it's a bit sad, but record the programme. Then you will have time to unravel all the convoluted nuances which I find so interesting.

Xa

• 2 years later...

Dr. Shoe... I do enjoy British humor, and especially all of the episodes of "Faulty Towers"(I have all of the epidsodes on tape). John Cleese did business videos for corporations to use for training. We used them at our company. They are hilarious, but also very educational and informative. His Monty Python cronies gave him a little grief when he did them.:roll:

When I was 10, we lived in Brussels. My father used to listen to the BBC radio on the weekends. I remember that one of the programs that we used to listen to was called "Steptoe and Son." It was one of the funniest shows I've ever listed to. (I understand that it was the inspiration for an American Television show called "Sanford and Son" with Redd Fox that was on TV in the 70's in the USA - reruns can still be watched on late night cable TV.)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to common language, different spelling, different pronunciation, different meanings and different cultures... But that would be way too long!! BTW, I was (am) a fan of Monty Python and loved "The Goodies"!!!

Right, if you can find "Do not adjust your set", which was a uk tv series, please watch it..... It's the Pythons before Monty time, PLUS the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, wkd.... Now if u want english fun and humour start here... find bicycle repair man sketch....

Was having a " Captain Cook" at this forum, and remembered and old story about Bush the elder. He was touring Sidney with OZ PM Bob Hawke. Several protestors gave the visiting president the two finger salute. Bush thought this was Churchill's V for victory. He responded in kind. Hawke explained that in American sign language Bush needed to subtract a finger to communicate the similar sentiment. "Two great peoples divided by a common{ sign } language " Red Kate

That's pretty bad, but it's pretty close to a re-bounder on the story about an American telling a joke in English at the UN. It was said that it was interesting to watch the faces of the delegates as the translators eventually translated the joke into their native tongue and then you would see the delegate laugh. But they thought it rather curious as to why it was that after all the translations were complete and all of the other delegates in the room had laughed that the British delegate would then laugh?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

What was the name of the British comedy troupe that Hugh Laurie (of the TV series "House") was in?

A friend of mind told me the name of the British Comedy troupe that Hugh Laurie was a member was Black Ader. I have not seen clips of them, but one night Dennis Leary was on a late night talk show and said Black Ader's bits were some of the funniest comedy he'd ever seen.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen them.

yeah it is black adder, with stephen fry and rowan atkinson aka mr bean.... Worth a look... Love family guy over here, its a british sense of humour (notice the spelling..) also "geeves and wooster" features hugh lawrie and stephen fry, its not a comedy as such, just a light entertainment thing about wooster (hugh lawrie) and his butler (stephen fry). Set in the 1920s/ 1930s england, its interesting for you guys to learn about english upper class of that time.... try one.. if you fall asleep, then you needed the sleep anyway....

yeah it is black adder, with stephen fry and rowan atkinson aka mr bean....

Worth a look...

Love family guy over here, its a british sense of humour (notice the spelling..)

also "geeves and wooster" features hugh lawrie and stephen fry, its not a comedy as such, just a light entertainment thing about wooster (hugh lawrie) and his butler (stephen fry).

Set in the 1920s/ 1930s england, its interesting for you guys to learn about english upper class of that time....

try one.. if you fall asleep, then you needed the sleep anyway....

Is "Geeves and Wooster" available on DVD? I have the first three seasons of "House" on DVD and have become a big Hugh Laurie fan (he hosted "Saturday Night Live" and was a riot).

One of the funniest scenes that I have seen Rowan Atkinson in was a movie called "Love, Actually." It is maybe one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen. There was a scene in the movie where Alan Rickman was buying a diamond necklace for his secretary and Rowan Atkinson was the sales clerk. He simply gift wrapped the necklace. The the precise and deliberate way he did it was hilarious. I'm just not a big fan of the Mr. Bean character.

Please let me know of the availability of "Geeves and Wooster."

Hi roniheels, "Geeves and Wooster" is available on DVD. I subscribe to Netflix and got it from them. We (wife and I) were so taken with the series, that we watched every available episode. Great fun! Recommend it highly.

Women who wear heels are to be admired and appreciated for the feminine visage they create.

grrr. computer has mind of its own. To say again, "mapp and lucia" is a series based on the same era, not a comedy per se, but its based on the english upper class of the 1920s. It;s based in Rye in Sussex, england, both of which are worth a look, as it was filmed in Rye and you can visit the places involved. It's a lovely old town with a mind of its own. Those of you from the US, try it ! Heelwearers are a bit thin on the ground tho.... Nice beaches nearby, near to France, not on the regular tourist route....