Learning to walk in heels - how long?

Elswyth

I recently started wearing a 4" stiletto out (yes, the only pair I bought for the kinky birthday gift for the bf nearly a year ago! ) , and, amazingly, seem to have gotten hooked onto them! :smile: However, I think I'm a bit wobbly and unsteady in them. Not as bad as they would lead you to believe in comedies, but more than I ideally should be. So I looked up articles, and apparently we're supposed to 'train' in shorter, broader heels for months first while working up to the high stiletto. Ugh. I would hate to do that. Besides the fact that I really don't want to have to spend cash on a wardrobe of several progressively higher heels, I absolutely hate short ones with broad heels. I think even my flats look better, and are more comfortable. For me, it's either flats or full-on 4" stilettos.. I'm not interested in anything in between. :smile: So, I guess my question is, can you go from flats to high heels without spending months in transition stages? I thought I could, but every article out there is trying to dissuade me. I wish I had a full-length mirror at home to practice with. I've walked around in them at home several times but can't really tell how I look when I do. Can't I just train as I go? I always have the bf's hand to hold on to. :penitent:

Good for you to put the effort and research in to learning to walk in a higher heel! If you do some searching as well on YouTube, you could find some videos on tips to walk on heels. From my experience, it's been so long that it's pretty much second nature to me...just like walking in flats, but I do recall something that helped me learn. When I first tried on heels, they were a little big for me (I was 8 or 9 at the time, and tried on any heels I had access to). Because of that I made a conscious effort to keep my heel against the back of the shoe in order for my foot not to slip off. Doing that made me take smaller steps and walk flat footed to a slight heel-to-toe walk. Another thing is to keep your weight moving forward to near vertical, as opposed to leaning back. As for the heel height(s) I had access to, they were around a 3-3.5" stiletto without platforms (I don't like platforms btw). From what I remembered, that heel height was manageable to learn from, and it was easy when I tried a 4-4.5" stiletto. Now wedge heels at a 4" height are easier to walk on versus a stiletto since the whole sole of the shoe has more surface conact than the heel and the ball of your foot. You can try that route as well for the feel of height. For me, the stiletto with a platform on the ball of the foot has a really weird sensation for me, almost like a rolling motion in order to walk. Personally, this is a little trickier to walk in if you're not used to heels. Aside from that, I prefer the classic style pumps. Even though you said you're not interested in anything in between a flat to 4" heel height, trying a 3" would be a little easier to maneuver in.

Can't I just train as I go? I always have the bf's hand to hold on to. :smile:

Of course you can !

I'd suggest you plan to limit the duration of your trips out at first and build up the time. The main things tha need developing are increased flexibility and strength in lower leg muscles. These take a few weeks to change.

Keep practising and focus on good walking style.

Of course you can !

I'd suggest you plan to limit the duration of your trips out at first and build up the time. The main things tha need developing are increased flexibility and strength in lower leg muscles. These take a few weeks to change.

I would like to add that stretching of the back calf muscle is also advised, as starting in such a heel could cause soleus cramps (charley horse). Not fun.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, guys. :smile: It's great to know I can just start right off with 4" or at least 3". If I were to start with anything lower than that, I think I'd just lose interest and give up entirely.

I am practicing walking at home for some time each day, but it really isn't the same as being out and about in them, because the surface varies so much when out, and at home it's just carpet.

What would you think if you saw a girl struggling to walk in heels (if she isn't doing TOO badly)? I've not fallen or anything yet, but I take really short steps and walk quite slowly, and there is a bit of unsteadiness. I try not to bend my knees and all that. But I think it's quite obvious that I'm new to it. :smile: Would you think, "Why is she wearing them out when she can't even walk well in them?", or would you accept it as a natural part of training?

For me, the stiletto with a platform on the ball of the foot has a really weird sensation for me, almost like a rolling motion in order to walk. Personally, this is a little trickier to walk in if you're not used to heels. Aside from that, I prefer the classic style pumps.

Yeah, I don't like platforms either. For some reason most of the wedges in the shops nearby have platforms too, and I did not like that. I really don't want to buy shoes online without being able to try them out, so I have a pretty limited stock to choose from.

Of course you can !

Yep, I am only wearing them out to dinner for now. :penitent:

I would like to add that stretching of the back calf muscle is also advised, as starting in such a heel could cause soleus cramps (charley horse). Not fun.

How would I do the stretching?

How would I do the stretching?

It can be done with or without high heels on.

If you're wearing heels simply lean back on the heel, lifting the sole off the floor as far as you comfortably can while leaving the heel in contact with the floor, hold for 10 seconds and repeat for the other leg.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I thought I was walking in my 4" stillettos pretty well but I had only been indoors, on carpet. So, while, preparing for a "Walk A Mile" event, I went out walking on the street (late at night, wearing jeans). It was not as easy as I thought. I started out walking around the block for a week then 2 blocks, then 3. Now I think I can walk as well, if not better, than most women. the hardest part was building up the calf muscles.

I thought I was walking in my 4" stillettos pretty well but I had only been indoors, on carpet. So, while, preparing for a "Walk A Mile" event, I went out walking on the street (late at night, wearing jeans). It was not as easy as I thought. I started out walking around the block for a week then 2 blocks, then 3. Now I think I can walk as well, if not better, than most women. the hardest part was building up the calf muscles.

That's great. :smile: How long did it take you to reach that level? I've been practicing for the past 3 days or so at home, and seem to be doing much better, but I probably will still look like a newbie outside. :smile:

Practice, practice, practice. Wear them around the house, out doors on different surfaces, to the store or other errands until you are more comfortable and confident walking in them naturally. But like any new physical activity, don't over-do it all at once. Do a little every day and enjoy each moment.

Also, just wanted to echo this question: What would you think if you saw a girl struggling to walk in heels (if she isn't doing TOO badly)? I've not fallen or anything yet, but I take really short steps and walk quite slowly, and there is a bit of unsteadiness. I try not to bend my knees and all that. But I think it's quite obvious that I'm new to it. :smile: Would you think, "Why is she wearing them out when she can't even walk well in them?", or would you accept it as a natural part of training?

When you are in the bathroom brushing your teeth, you can do an exercise by standing on your toes as high as you can. Lower your self until your heels almost touch the floor and repeat. This will help speed up things in strengthen your mussels. Do a series of 12 and relax for a minuit, and repeat a few more times. Also standing on your toes and walking will help as well, just don't over do it.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Also, just wanted to echo this question: What would you think if you saw a girl struggling to walk in heels (if she isn't doing TOO badly)? I've not fallen or anything yet, but I take really short steps and walk quite slowly, and there is a bit of unsteadiness. I try not to bend my knees and all that. But I think it's quite obvious that I'm new to it. :smile: Would you think, "Why is she wearing them out when she can't even walk well in them?", or would you accept it as a natural part of training?

I really hate to see a woman struggling with her heels. I would rather see a woman who has mastered her heels regardless of height. The higher the better, but not to the point where they cause difficulty walking. One must be able to move with fluid elagance and grace to be a truly stunning sight.

You could actually train yourself for a 4 inch heel by training with a higher one. After that you may find the 4 inch heel easier. Believe me once you learn to walk in 5 inch heels 4 inches is a piece of cake.

What would you think if you saw a girl struggling to walk in heels (if she isn't doing TOO badly)? I've not fallen or anything yet, but I take really short steps and walk quite slowly, and there is a bit of unsteadiness. I try not to bend my knees and all that. But I think it's quite obvious that I'm new to it. :smile: Would you think, "Why is she wearing them out when she can't even walk well in them?", or would you accept it as a natural part of training?

I would reflect back to when *I* was learning and remember I had someone helping me ( arm in arm ). I would walk over and make an offer for the same assistance very sincerely.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Practice, practice, practice. Wear them around the house, out doors on different surfaces, to the store or other errands until you are more comfortable and confident walking in them naturally. But like any new physical activity, don't over-do it all at once. Do a little every day and enjoy each moment.

Hi Elswyth

It is down to practice, a bit at a time and extend time/distance as you feel able.

An alternative stretch is when sitting in heels with the heel on the ground push your toes down either to lift the heel up or to force the toes to the ground, if you think of foot movements whilst driving:- very similar.

For some it is almost natural to handle height, for some it takes time.

A thicker heel may be a easy training route as they are more stable.

Don't fear I've seem girls in 1" kitten heels looking ungainly to the Nth degree.

Saturday I was watching some in 6" (2"+ platforms) walk with permanently bent knees. uck. No practice there my dear! and looking bad.

Just practice and don't panic (leave that to the guys) and shortly it will surprise you. Oh If you have small tootsies (6 UK or less) then 4" heels are steep, it is easier for us bigfooters!

Walk tall and proud.

Al

Yeah, I do have very small feet, about size 5 US (not sure what that is in UK!). I've been practicing for some time each day, and I think I'm a lot better now! But still a little unsteady at times, especially with certain surfaces that I don't have much of at home. :smile: I have a nice, short event to attend this weekend, and I was thinking of wearing them to it. Should I go ahead and get out there with my newbie techniques or should I wait til I'm better? Also, I tried the 'housework in heels' tactic, and pulled a muscle or something in my ankle when I squatted down! How do I squat properly in heels and a skirt without straining the back of the ankle?

I recently started wearing a 4" stiletto out (yes, the only pair I bought for the kinky birthday gift for the bf nearly a year ago! ) , and, amazingly, seem to have gotten hooked onto them! :smile: However, I think I'm a bit wobbly and unsteady in them. Not as bad as they would lead you to believe in comedies, but more than I ideally should be.

So I looked up articles, and apparently we're supposed to 'train' in shorter, broader heels for months first while working up to the high stiletto. Ugh. I would hate to do that. Besides the fact that I really don't want to have to spend cash on a wardrobe of several progressively higher heels, I absolutely hate short ones with broad heels. I think even my flats look better, and are more comfortable. For me, it's either flats or full-on 4" stilettos.. I'm not interested in anything in between. :smile:

So, I guess my question is, can you go from flats to high heels without spending months in transition stages? I thought I could, but every article out there is trying to dissuade me.

I wish I had a full-length mirror at home to practice with. I've walked around in them at home several times but can't really tell how I look when I do.

Can't I just train as I go? I always have the bf's hand to hold on to. :penitent:

Ok these tips are coming from a man that wears 4" stillettos a lot. The best thing I can say is learn to walk in them at home. Make sure you take smaller steps, keep your head up and core tight. I wore mine around the house for months before I went anywhere in them. Once I did go places in them i got a lot of compliments from women about how well I handle my self in them.

Transitioning into heels depends a lot on the person. It has been about twenty years for me, going back to my high school days. I was somewhat the athletic type and did some modern and ballet dancing, and with good coordination. I had talked with my mom about heels for some time and iinherited my love of heels from my mom. One day I came home from school to find a pair of pumps with heels of about 2½" on the kitchen table. Mom came into the room and encouraged me to try them on. I alredy was in pantyhose as I kicked off my skimmer flats and slid into my first heels. The first thing that I noticed was that they did reveal some toe cleavage and otherwise were not much different from my flats. Holding on to the table for balance, I stood and marveled that I was in heels, something that was a burning desire within me for about a year. Mom was very encouraging and supportive of me, coaching as I began to walk. And walk I did; through the dining room, out to the patio and up and down the driveway for about an hour. My next heels were 3" and I remained there for several years before stepping upu to 4". It was very easy for me, and later, as described in a story in that section, I again began to wear one heel with crutches and still do with ease. E

Yeah, I do have very small feet, about size 5 US (not sure what that is in UK!). I've been practicing for some time each day, and I think I'm a lot better now! But still a little unsteady at times, especially with certain surfaces that I don't have much of at home. :smile: I have a nice, short event to attend this weekend, and I was thinking of wearing them to it. Should I go ahead and get out there with my newbie techniques or should I wait til I'm better?

Also, I tried the 'housework in heels' tactic, and pulled a muscle or something in my ankle when I squatted down! How do I squat properly in heels and a skirt without straining the back of the ankle?

Stretching, and you need time, no other way.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I think my first reaction would be "ooh, learning to walk on high heels." If the heels are a nice pair, I may come up to you and ask if you need assistance.

You can do it!

To me, you'd be all the more attractive. Mainly because of the visual aspect. To me a heel is only high enough if it affects the ladies walking. I know from friends they feel this way too.

And I appreciate a lady how is making an effort to look great, and you'd look like you're making an effort.

So please, just keep on walking :wave:

WobbleFan

Also, I tried the 'housework in heels' tactic, and pulled a muscle or something in my ankle when I squatted down! How do I squat properly in heels and a skirt without straining the back of the ankle?

Hi,

As a long time public high heel wearer (and skirt wearer) I can offer some advise on becoming comfortable with taller heels... it just takes time depending on your own natural flexibility in your ankles/ feet in particular. If you can't stand in your desired heels on a hard surface and lift yourself up on tip-toes so that your heels lift 1/2 inch or more of the ground then you couldn't walk in your heels for any long distance gracefully. (thats my judgement anyway).

If you can't do as I suggested then likely you will tire very quickly, get wobbly ankles, sore knees - and likely you won't be able to keep your knees straight - or you will tend to turn your toes inwards to compensate - which is another sign heels are too high for the wearer. Turning your toes in is a bad habit to get into in heels (can lead to rolling you ankles).

Practice with what you know you can manage, enjoy the feel and knowledge that you are graceful. No bad experiences is the key. No one looks fantastic when they look uncomfortable in heels they can't manage. The heels might be beautiful but the overall picture is not.

The advice of all to date is good, alternate heights, wear higher than normal heels around home for short times to increase your flexibility. Wear your desired heel height out an about for shorter trips. Do wear your heels on harder surfaces because this is sooo much more demanding and realistic than wearing at home.

When I squat in a skirt I always walk forward, stop with both feet parallel and close together (but not quite touching) standing tall with my weight on both heel and toes equal. Then I lean both ankles inwards just slightly till my heels touch, bend at the knees and let my bottom drop down to my heels (while keeping my back straight). I keep my knees together while doing this, and depending on how high the heels are sometimes I find I roll forward just on to my toes as I do this, so the weight ends up mainly on my toes (exp. with the lower heels, very high heels remains evenly distributed when squatting.

This supports the ankles and knees.....

Good Luck!

Cheers

Heel-Lover

Yeah, I do have very small feet, about size 5 US (not sure what that is in UK!).....

That's UK3 or EU36, same size as my partner. While 4" heels are no problem on my UK9/U43 feet (= US women's 11) they would be very high for my partner. If you've not worn heels much before then 4" on your foot size is a hard place to start. Good luck!

The single biggest thing is to keep your shoulders back. If you hunch over, you'll never gain any confidence. You have a natural stride length and speed when walking with flats and sneakers. You will have to shorten the stride with heels, but don't try to increase the speed to make it up. Just accept that it will take a bit longer to get there. All the more time to be seen and admired. :>) As with any other muscle and skill building exercise, a little each day is better than marathon sessions. Another reason to wear them shopping or doing housework, is that the stopping and starting, turning, and side stepping give you practice you don't get with a straight line walk. Stairs are the trickiest, especially going down. If you don't lift the foot enough you might hook the heel on the step. (ripping the heel off one boot and falling so hard on the other you make a deep hole in the basement step! Don't ask) Think about how you lift your feet walking through deep snow. or how a band marches. Going down stairs you need to lift you foot and swing it forward slightly more than you normally do. It will feel far weirder than it actually is, then as the foot is landing slide it back so it's completely on the tread. You can learn to go down stairs quickly and seemingly effortlessly, however it requires concentration. Going up stairs is simpler. If the tread is wide enough that the heel can be on it, there is nothing special at all. If the tread is narrow, you walk up on your toes, which is likely how you normally do anyway, however keep you foot inclined exactly how it would be if the heel were on the step. If you don't it will feel awkward and stretch and possibly even tear the throat of the shoe. Hope this helps. Hang in there and thanks for doing this for your bf. My wife tried doing the same for me 25 years ago, but gave up. Now I'm the only one who wears heels

One more thing. Cheap heels from Payless and Shoe Dept will wobble no matter what, and you will never walk pretty in them. It all about the strength of the arch. If they wobble in the store, leave them there, they will only get worse. At the other end there are designer shoes that feel solid as steel and cost like silver. Try some in a store, and you'll know. Shoes below $50 or so aren't going to be comfortable or last.

Thanks heaps for the advice, guys. :wave: I really don't think I can afford to splurge >$50 on a pair at this point of time, so I'll just have to make do with what I have. I'm terribly afraid of spending that much... and then finding out later on that the shoe doesn't suit me! I don't intend to wear the shoes all the time as many of you do, just for dinners and such. @heels59: No, I'm not doing this for the bf, he's ambivalent about footwear. :P I just, uh, get certain kicks out of wearing them. I'm not even kidding! :smile:

I really don't think I can afford to splurge >$50 on a pair at this point of time, so I'll just have to make do with what I have.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get quality heels. Normally you can find good deals on eBay, as well as consignment clothing stores (which, these are a good resource for them for you locally). With the latter case, you can try them on in store and see them in person. I know I've found nice quality (some designer) heels and spent a fraction of what they retail. Just look around. There's some jewels out there.

EBay does not ship to my area. No consignment shoe stores nearby either.

I've bought a pair online after asking numerous questions about their return policy - so we'll see how it goes!

I started out with a pair of 5" heel classic pumps with ankle strap by Ellie's Shoes I bought on Amazon. Price was good. They fit good and with alittle time I was walking around real good and they don't hurt my feet at all. Good luck.