jean gaborit boots "chris"

hi there all you guys- tell me what you all think of these jean gaborit boots (assuming none of you have these already that is) I'd really like your input on this! thanks, Brad:smile:

post-2640-133522935757_thumb.jpg

I think they look great! They have a conservative heel, and a go with anything/everything style. You could wear them under jeans/slacks, but it would be a shame to hide them. I don’t have personal experience with the brand, but I understand they are top notch boots.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

These are great boots and yes you can so easy get away with wearing these allmost anywhere under jeans but i think i would love to take the plunge and wear them over the top of a tight pair of black jeans. The brand is top notch but i have heard that unless in stock waiting time can be very long.

The brand is top notch but i have heard that unless in stock waiting time can be very long.

I can confirm that. I ordered last year in January and I am still waiting. Twice they sent the boots and they didn't fit. I could not get my foot past the narrowest part (no zipper in this model). Last time was in October. I had to send them back. They don't answer e-mails once they have your money. I am very upset.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

They don't answer e-mails once they have your money. I am very upset.

That seems all too common these days. It's an accusation pointed at several different companies many times over the years, including several in the last few weeks.

Harder to understand is that when such comments are being made in public, the company doesn't have some representative online and smoothing things over - they just let the negative comments build up unchallenged and uncorrected. It would only take a few minutes to explain things.

hi there all you guys- tell me what you all think of these jean gaborit boots (assuming none of you have these already that is) I'd really like your input on this! thanks, Brad:smile:

They look sleek and very comfortable. With that heel height, I would wear those to work.

Hi Demoniaplatforms, I have ordered from Gaborit before and had no problems with them or their boots. I got a pair of Madge and a pair of Siri boots. The Siri is very comparable to the Chris just a little lower, the basic structure is the same except for the shaft height. I have been eyeballing these (chris) myself and almost ordered them recently. Just time to do it is my problem I think they look good and will suffice both needs for wearing them, over or under jeans/pants. Reasonable height and mine fit well and wear them whenever i can, just not in winter. And as Yozz has mentioned they do take time to get them, hopefully sizing is done right and it still takes quite some time to get them, my order took 3.5 months. It was worthwhile though as I love the boots. Hope it works well for you. Mtnsofheels

Sigh you there on the other side of the pond have all the joy. If you do like something, the price is good, but the postage is horendous. A pair of HHs is sometimes double or treble the price by the time we get them here.

I guess if things are easy enough, there is no problem except for a rather lengthy waiting time. But I object to how I have been treated. The complete story is: 1: in January 2010 I ask how long it will take. Answer: 6 weeks. I order. 2: After 14 weeks I get the boots for me and my wife. They don't fit. I cannot get my foot past the narrowest part. I can get into my wifes boots as they are several centimeters wider there. She cannot. I send them back with the remark that also it is funny that on the bottom it says size 38, while 38 is too small for me. 3: Almost half a year no e-mails, no answers, no nothing. Also no reply to a phone call (answering aparatus that says I will be called back). 4: Finally after an e-mail in which I say that I will put the whole story on hhplace.org I get an e-mail doing as if everything is just normal and that he will change the boots and make them a bit wider. 5: In October I get the boots again. The feet seem to be a bit bigger (it says now 40 on the bottom) but I notice no difference in the width at the ankle. I still cannot get in and still just barely into my wifes boots. I send them back again with a long e-mail explaining everything and a picture. 6: No answer to any e-mails. I explain that if the order is there for a year, I will post on hhplace. No answer, so I post. Still nothing. I send a mail at least once a month. 7: Finally two days ago I send again an e-mail that I posted the story and that my next step will be contacting the credit card company. 8: Then I quickly get an e-mail in which he claims to have sent me a mail just after receiving the boots. I never received it and I seriously doubt that that mail was actually sent. He does not want to change again and he had people with similar feet try them and they fitted etc etc and make it look like it is my problem, and he won't continue till he has seen me and that he will be in Antwerp in the weekend (170 km from Amsterdam). Whether I can come. 9: I send back some pictures on my foot with a tape measure in various positions to show the 31.5 cm, asking him to measure the circumference of the boots. To that, no answer as of yet. Now what is the problem: The boot has no zipper. It is a riding style boot. This means the measurement around the heel is rather crucial. This is measurement 4 in his chart. I gave him the measurement with a sole inside my sock as he advised to measure that way when needing soles inside the shoe. Right foot: 32.4 cm. The actual size without sole I did not provide (31.5 cm). That should just make it easier to enter. For my wife, the size was 34.5 cm. When I measure the circumference of the boot on the outside(!) at the ankle they are just not wide enough. It is impossible that I can get 31.5 cm through there. I can just enter (with a small amount of work) into my wifes boot which should allow 34.5 cm to enter. Hence they are at least 3 centimeters too narrow. The thing that upsets me is that my mails are only answered once I make some thread to do something that he doesn't like. Then he does as if everything is completely normal and now he tries to put the blame on me and wants me to drive 350 km so that he can confirm my measurements. I hope you can understand why I am upset. Y.

ditto here. We have a dozen pairs of JG Boots and have not had any service issues. have you written directly to Ian Edgerly?

David & Cathy

Hi Demoniaplatforms,

I have ordered from Gaborit before and had no problems with them or their boots. I got a pair of Madge and a pair of Siri boots. The Siri is very comparable to the Chris just a little lower, the basic structure is the same except for the shaft height. I have been eyeballing these (chris) myself and almost ordered them recently. Just time to do it is my problem

I think they look good and will suffice both needs for wearing them, over or under jeans/pants. Reasonable height and mine fit well and wear them whenever i can, just not in winter.

And as Yozz has mentioned they do take time to get them, hopefully sizing is done right and it still takes quite some time to get them, my order took 3.5 months. It was worthwhile though as I love the boots.

Hope it works well for you.

Mtnsofheels

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

ditto here. We have a dozen pairs of JG Boots and have not had any service issues. have you written directly to Ian Edgerly?

David & Cathy

I know that you have good experiences. That is why I kept telling my wife to have more patience. But there is a time that that stops. I have written e-mails to both the service address and to Ian directly. Many times.

It seems that he is not very prepared to deal with problems.

Mostly he will get it right immediately and my guess is that than everybody is happy.

It is just that here he (or somebody working for him) has made a bad mistake and then he has a mental block to bravely deal with the consequences.

But for me the result is that I paid 14 months ago and still don't have fitting boots.

Y.

sounds like a direct phone call is in order here

I just got hold of his mobile phone number.

I'll try to get in a call tomorrow. See whether that works.

All calls to his shop ran into an answering apparatus and no calling back.

He is probably just as sick and tired of this case as I am, but I still think that is a poor excuse.

Y.

Well, finally, after two attempts I just got a hold of Ian. He sounds like a nice guy. He says that they lost lots of e-mail due to an extra malfunctioning spam filter and that they found out about that very recently. He is at the moment at a car fair in Antwerp and says he has the boots with him and has stretched them a lot and that they should fit now. He says that he measured them again and admits more or less that they were too tight. If the streching is not sufficient he is willing to mount a zipper in the side although that is a rather messy affair. I will know on Sunday morning only whether I can go to Antwerp to see him there. That would be the best solution. He can then see whether there is anything else that is not OK. If I cannot come he will mail the boots on Monday. Finally something that sounds very positive. I will post when I know more. Y.

Terrific news. If you can make it to Antwerp please say Hi to Ian from David & Cathy in BC, Canada! Glad all is working out and a wonderful new Boot experience is only a few days away now!

David

Well, finally, after two attempts I just got a hold of Ian.

He sounds like a nice guy.

He says that they lost lots of e-mail due to an extra malfunctioning

spam filter and that they found out about that very recently.

He is at the moment at a car fair in Antwerp and says he has the

boots with him and has stretched them a lot and that they should

fit now. He says that he measured them again and admits more or less that

they were too tight. If the streching is not sufficient he is willing to mount a zipper

in the side although that is a rather messy affair.

I will know on Sunday morning only whether I can go to Antwerp to

see him there. That would be the best solution. He can then see whether

there is anything else that is not OK. If I cannot come he will mail the boots

on Monday.

Finally something that sounds very positive.

I will post when I know more.

Y.

"Dress For Your Own Pleasure"

Hi, I just got back from Antwerp. I met Ian at a classic car exposition. He was there to sell boots like the ones you see in pictures of cars in the beginning of the 20-th century. He had brought my boots and hence I had to try then on. He had stretched the boots a lot. First the right foot. With quite a struggle, I finally got in. He explained that after you have been wearing these boots for about an hour, things get easier as the boots adjust. Then the left foot. Even with the help of two people it was impossible to get the boot on. So he inspected my feet and said that I have what they call dancers feet. People who have been practicing ballet when they are young have this a lot. Well, I have never been doing that. The closed I come to that is that I had two sisters who took some ballet lessons. He measured by left foot carefully and said that he would stretch both boots more. Especially the left one. He also took some pictures of my foot. I guess next time they will fit perfectly. Then about my wifes boots. He will strtch them also, but we will also send him a picture of my wifes feet. I asked him whether he could put a zipper in my wifes boots in the ankle area and he agreed to do so, just to get the whole issue resolved. Also he had not realized that the distance Amsterdam-Antwerpen was a two hours drive. In conclusion, it looks like the problems will finally be out of the world. It was a pity that it took this long and that I had to complain like this, but it seemed the only way to finally get my boots. If indeed the problems with his spam filter are now resolved, this should not happen again. If there are problems, try the telephone of his workplace. The shop is in Paris while the workplace is at the coast. In the shop is a person who is not so great with his English and also they cannot deal with difficult problems. When trying to call him, keep in mind that in weekends he is often away to fairs and exhibitions and needs Mondays to drive back. Y.

• 1 month later...

I figured it is time for an update. We are now almost 8 weeks later and still no boots. Ian makes promises and promises and breaks them every time. He was going to have the boots here before April 9 (the day that my wife was coming back to Amsterdam) and then again nothing. I finally sent a mail two weeks ago and then he mumbled something about problems (he always has a story, not that I believe any of them) but that he would send them the same day. Now we are two weeks later and still no boots. Hence he did not send them. It is now 67 weeks since I ordered those boots and he took the money. Now my wife has to travel again and won't be back for two months. And I will be on the road for a month pretty soon as well. I always say that you recognize a true professional by how he repairs his mistakes. He fails miserably in that department. Needless to say, I am very upset. Y.

I'd have thought he would have cut his losses by now and simply made you another pair in a larger size, rather than attempting to stretch and stretch again the pair already made a year ago. And 67 weeks is a completely crazy amount of time; there can be no excuse for that. Proof of sending can be supplied in the form of a tracking number from the courier company; there's always the possibility the courier service have lost them.

I'd have thought he would have cut his losses by now and simply made you another pair in a larger size, rather than attempting to stretch and stretch again the pair already made a year ago. And 67 weeks is a completely crazy amount of time; there can be no excuse for that. Proof of sending can be supplied in the form of a tracking number from the courier company; there's always the possibility the courier service have lost them.

I am convinced he did not send them. He seems to be in denial again as he does not answer his e-mail.

He seems to be one of those people who cannot admit that he made a mistake. It is anybodies fault but his, it is unpleasant and hence he puts it in a corner and tries to forget about it. Then at the same time, because he is basically not dishonest, he knows he has to go back to it, but keeps postponing. An unpleasant truth.

I will see whether I can reach him by telephone this week. Let us see what story he will invent now. My guess about what really happened is that he overstretched it and that something broke. Stretching 28 cm into 32 cm seems a bit rough.

You are of course right. Any sensible person would have admitted that this was getting nowhere and either have made new boots or taken me up on my offer to choose another pair that would have a proper zipper so that the problem would not arise.

Y.