Heel height

It means the real heel height is 4'' as the shoes have a exposed or hidden front platform sole so the front of your foot is 1.5'' off the ground. The apearance is of an extreme high heel but the reality is you are walking in a 4'' heel which makes it very popular with ladies as more of them can manage to walk in the higher looking heel in more comfort. Some people don't like platforms and prefer pure heel height shoes. Originally platform shoes were mostly associated with pole dancers and the like but fashion has changed this making them mainstream and rather than the first ones which looked obviously expoesed most now are designed to reduce the effect of the platform or hide it completely. Aldo are a very reasonable supplier of decent heels but I think most people will tell you their sizing is quite small.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Outback5, My experience with Aldo is EXACTLY what others have said here and that is that their sizing does run smaller than just about any other store I can think of. Whatever your optimal size is other stores an Aldo shoe will invariably fit like the next size down. I am an optimal size 11 US but can take US10 in some styles which greatly increases my choices. Aldo's boxes will be marked EU40 leading to think it is a US10 but it will fit like a US9. Wonderful and sexy shoes to be sure but they all run small. Most here know I am frequent customer of Bakers and carry their discount card. Their shoes rock and so do their people! another place I adore is DSW which doesn't feature as many of the higher heels I love (5" and up) but they have all the shoes on the floor and most styles run through size US11. Stores are big and plenty of space to try on and walk around. HappyinHeels:wavey:

Is Aldo a good place to buy heels in the US? What does it mean when it says Heel Height:5.5 inches, Platform Height:1.5inches?

Thanks!

Be a bit careful about the heel height measurement as it seems to vary a bit on different internet sites. Typically the heel is measured vertically up from the ground to the top of the heel at the back of the shoe. This is easy to measure with an open back shoe, but when the back is closed the seam at the top of the heel is about 8mm lower than the top of the sole inside the shoe. Also the amount of height increase you get from the shoe is less than the heel height since your ankle joint is further forward than the back of the shoe.

We know of or have heard of women, and now men, with foot ailments from wearing heels, that are too tall and/or that the fit is smaller in the size they normally wear, for the sake of attractiveness and/or fashion. This discussion has put a bit of light in explaining how people can be deceived or manipulated into purchasing footwear they really shouldn't wear for the sake of their comfort and possible foot problems or injuries. Possibly, when men wearing heels is widely happening publicly, the measurements for height and sizing will become universally standardized in the different markets. This will not clear up every personal concern, but it would make purchasing footwear, especially heels, more dependable about what can be expected.

Take a tape measure along when you are shoe shopping if you are looking for a particular heel height. Some might see this as tacky, but at least you will know for sure the height of the heel and platform, if applicable.