How long do heel tips last?

i am hoping that someone can advise me about heel tips. i am due to buy a pair of PLEASER DELIGHT 609 stiletto heels that i intend to wear to do a 10 mile sponsored walk. can anyone tell me how many miles a pair of heel tips will last on this style. would it be advisable to change them for steel tips. i done a 5 mile walk in a pair of PLEASER XTC 826 and the standard heels (chunky) hardly showed any signs of wear at all. any help will be appreciated:unsure::cry1::unsure::wave:

They won't last long. They'll be worn down within a couple of miles & probably completely gone by the 10 mile mark. If you're lightweight (8 stone or less), you might get a bit more life out of them, but not much - it's basically the abrasion against the pavement which destroys them. Yep, you should definitely get some metal tips fitted. they will make a nice clicking sound as you walk too!

Always High-Heel Responsibly

I have found that the Pleaser (thin heel - 7 & 10 mm) tips wear very quickly on hard and rough outdoor surfaces. Metal heel tips are much more durable and easy to fit, ebay item 170418561499 gives a selection of them. Tools needed are pliers and hammer (vice or vice grips will help too together with a thin punch). If wearing indoors punch the pin into the tip before fitting or floors will be be subjected to the pressure of the tiny pin which can stand "proud" of the tip. The pins come in 3 diameters, ensure you select the best fit for your heel and not one too thick or future replacement will be difficult if not impossible. Hope this is of help.

Hi, they won't last long, especially if they are plastic. Metal tips last much longer. I would guess they may only last for the walk. I would recommend from experience to go with metal tips straight away. Wow!!! miles - 16kms - well over 2hrs fast walking if I guess right - a legendary effort in heels... How high is this style you are going to wear? Pre-emptive congratulations are due! Heel-Lover

I can wear out 5/8th tips in 10 miles (or to a point that I'm on the metal pin) and that's a medium soft tip that is not too slippery on panelled floors. if that's any help. Al

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see, you will be pounding a small (roughly 0.375" diameter) piece of plastic against asphalt, concrete, sand, hard-packed dirt and stone.

Yep, as everybody before me has said, it ain't gonna last long. Then you will be walking on the pin. And I'd bet that won't hold out to the end of your walk!

Change 'em out for metal tips. That will give you a fighting chance and you will **l-l-o-o-v-v-e-e** the sound! No problem with people noticing, they expect you to be wearing heels anyway -- might as well give them some ear candy along with the eye candy!

Have a happy time!

• 2 months later...

i now have a bigger problem. the heels are the least of my worrys and they have not even seen tarmac yet. it seems as if one of the ankle straps are trying to part company as the enclosed photo shows. im not pleased as i found these sandals fitted me well and were also comfortable. they were great around the house and were starting to bed in to my feet just right:mecry::smile::mecry::)

post-17818-133522908003_thumb.jpg

i now have a bigger problem. the heels are the least of my worrys and they have not even seen tarmac yet. it seems as if one of the ankle straps are trying to part company as the enclosed photo shows. im not pleased as i found these sandals fitted me well and were also comfortable. they were great around the house and were starting to bed in to my feet just right:mecry::smile::mecry::)

That's simply unacceptable on a new shoe with straps. Do you have time to get them changed? Or - get another pair in the meantime while you get these replaced? For what you want - I would recommend something more substantial - Mary Janes - or boots.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Hi Krazykev64, the straps breaking like that is unnaceptable. I would send them back to where they came from. As pussyinboots said I would consider a more substantial shoe - a pump style since you will get more support and you won't get any straps cutting into you etc (I think you would suffer with such a steep heel in a sandal because you will slide down the hill and your toes will get pressure from each strap. An ankle strap to keep your heel in would be essential with a pump because you will start lifting your heel out of a pump over such a long distance walk and it is horrible if you have to manage that when walking a long time! A maryjane or pump with an ankle strap is good advice IMO anyway?! Good luck! Have fun! Heel-Lover

• 3 months later...
I had to have the heel tips replaced on a pair of my high heels just recently. To answer the question of this thread, in my case, it depends on how much walking and what surface I walk on that takes it's toll on my heel tips. The repairman put longer plastic tips on my heels and so far so good.

Heel tips (stiletto type) come in 3 basic varieties 1. Metal :- (commonly know as steel tips) last the longest but are at a trade off in comfort & noise. 2. Cheap PU Tops:- the heel bars favorite! this is what the majority of you will be getting if you don't do your home work! brought by the repairer for competitive pricing & also fitted by a large proportion of manufacturers. 3. Quality injection moulded Pin Tops:- difficult to tell the difference on the finished repair but you will certainly be aware of the performance difference, in a lot of case on a par with steel heels. In the UK there are two main "quality" brands both have super in the name. Ask your repair man what make he will be fitting, if he says "PU Tops" they are cheap if he mentions a brand, its looking better & if he mentions "SUPERDARK" or "SUPERTAP" you've picked a winner. Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

The very first thing that I do when I buy new high heels, is go straight round to the Shoe Repairer and have the plastic tips replaced with steel tips. Of course if they are metal to begin with, then they stay as they are.

With regular daily wearing, hard steel tips will last about 2 or 3 months, before they wear down too far on one side and become difficult to balance on. You would be surprised just how much difference a mere 2mm of wear on a tiny heel tip, can make to your balance.

As far as a 10 mile Charity walk is concerned, you will certainly need steel tips, and you may find that they need replacing again afterwards.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

As far as a 10 mile Charity walk is concerned, you will certainly need steel tips, and you may find that they need replacing again afterwards.

:wave:

3. Quality injection moulded Pin Tops:- difficult to tell the difference on the finished repair but you will certainly be aware of the performance difference, in a lot of case on a par with steel heels.

but you will certainly be aware of the performance difference, in a lot of case on a par with steel heels.

Personally, I'd recommend a good quality injection moulded heel for such a walk, it will be less harsh on your calf & ankle muscles. Metal heels "could" make the journey an unpleasant one! if you do manage to go through the heel in this millage (if you get the right ones I'd be surprised!) you will come through to the pin which will effectively give you a steel heel to finish the walk.

Just my opinion :)

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.