Bloody Coppers!

Nicole

With a title like the above, one would think that this would go in the rant forum, but the title is meant to be a little tounge-in-cheek. This is a bit of a ramble, but there are a couple of points that I want to make as well. My wife is out of town, so naturally I have taken advantage. This evening I went out for a long walk in my 6" Black Patent Pumps. This is a walk of over 2 miles so it is a bit of an endurance test. Also part of the ensemble was a blue velvet skirt and matching top, the jacket of a suit (designed for women), and a little purse. Anyway, I've made this walk before in various heels, including these 6" pumps. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I find it much easier to walk in heels at night, although I feel a bit like a deer in the headlights whenever a car passes by. I've never been stopped by any one before, although once some one asked me if I wanted a ride . [No Thank you]. This time I got stopped by a policeman. I have not been stopped by a policeman while wearing heels since 1993 or so. Back then I was wearing much lower heels and black jeans, but I was so paranoid that I would jump for cover every time a car passed by. Unsuprisingly, the police noticed and stopped me because they thought I was attempting to steal a car (no arrest took place). This time I was simply walking. The cop asked me where I was going (home), and at that point, realising that he was talking to a man, asked me why I was dressed the way that I was (want to). After checking my id and observing that I've never been in trouble with the law, he asked me how I could walk in my shoes (lots of practice, and I still don't walk especially well in them). He also asked if I was 'working'. I was a little insulted by this. In some ways, it is a natural question to ask, I guess. But the fact is that I am a grown man wearing clothes designed for women, clean-shaven but wearing absolutely no makeup. I seriously doubt that there is enough of a market for me to make a living 'on the street' by walking around in this getup through the streets of suburban central California. In his defense, he thought I was a woman until he heard my voice. This is not shocking, since, due presumably to my long hair, I have been called madam in broad daylight to my face while wearing a t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and a week old beard. So what are the points? Well, as was mentioned in another thread on this board, although it is unusual, there is nothing illegal about walking around in high heels, regardless of what sex you are. 2nd, I am very glad that I took my i.d. with me. Sometimes I don't. If I had not had any identification, my interview with the policeman may well have been a lot less pleasant. Always remember to take your i.d. with you! 3rd; as a 30 year old man, I do not bear the same kind of animosity to coppers that I did up to 7 years ago. Not ever having been in trouble with the law really helps in that regard. In fact, I would have liked to have talked more with him. It is nice to talk with people who are on the whole not being judgemental and not trying to make a sale. But, he had a job to do, and I was on my way home... Finally, as I pointed out above, I find it much easier to go out at nights. However, for those of you guys who are nervous about going out at all, I would like to point out that once you are out in the daytime, it's quite a bit easier, precisely because you cannot hide in the shadows. Once you realise this, then the feeling of being a deer in the headlights goes away. You're out. You're about. You're wearing heels. No worries.

the truth shall make you fret

Good advice there from Nicole. If you're going to be doing something unconventional, make sure you're sorted in the event of bumping into a policeman. Here in the UK we don't have ID cards (yet!) but I always have my driving license on me, which is the next best thing to photo ID. It's also a good point about daytime vs. night time. Acting oddly in the day is apparently less suspicious than at night, but I'm never sure why :wink: I suppose the assumption is that there's more criminal activity at night, so any activity at night stands a higher chance of being criminal. Anyway, I can see why going out at night feels easier, but you'll probably attract more attention rather than less at night.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I've been stopped a few times by coppers when wearing heels (driving a little fast etc). They never asked me about the shoes even when they took me round the back of the car to show me a tail light was out. I think it's just an accpeted part of modern culture that some guys wear heels, but like YY, being the UK, we don't have an ID card or anything like that. I don't bother carrying any ID other than cash cards; have never needed it As for going out at night, I'd prefer to wear heels during the day when people can see them. If I'm going anywhere dark or shadowy I'd probably wear trainers to get away from potential trouble quick and I'd recommend anyone else to do the same. The times I would wear heels at night are shopping, parties etc; ie busy places.

The last time I checked, there is no requirement in the United States to carry any form of identification. However there are more than a few "law and order" types who are trying at every turn to force a national ID card upon us.

My mother is legally blind, and so she has no drivers license. However my Brother, who is in the U.S. Marines mentioned that a lot of places require some kind of positive ID, Like airports and military bases. So she has a "non drivers" license. Now it does not really mater since she got her passport for a trip to Japan two years ago. So some kind of ID is need these days but not everybody need to have one. But if you think about it here is one in place all ready in the U.S. Our Social Security card are really a National ID Card though not intended to be, it just became that way. I my self did a number of night excursions in high heels. Some I still would not wear during the day. But getting comfortable in them while walking on every day terrain really speeds up your confidence. Since you won't have to worry about making a fool of your self. Since I can carry my self expertly in front of other people during the day, made the transition much easer for me to day time heel wearing. I have heard of other "men" walking in heels and the Police checks you out story. But the fact is they have to be very careful so they will not get sued for harassment. So even if you don't have your ID on you they might give you a little more of a harder time but there is nothing they can do to you.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

When I was a small boy there was a nightclub which was frequented by female impersonators. They all wore buttons that said "I am a boy" although it was not a legal requirement. It was to avoid being mistakenly propositioned. I am strongly opposed to the idea of national IDs or any fascist-like controls. That being said, I'm thankful for the significant police presence in Sunnyvale. I walk for exercise and I would like them to be around in case I meet with an accident.

Michael

2nd, I am very glad that I took my i.d. with me. Sometimes I don't. If I had not had any identification, my interview with the policeman may well have been a lot less pleasant. Always remember to take your i.d. with you!

Hi Nicole,

in Germany we have an ID card too. Without an ID card in public you have to face a common visit with the cops at your home to show them your plastic card.

Some weeks ago I had a similar experience. I just stood on stiletto heels before a cigarette slot-machine (naturally without an ID card) when a police-car was stopping directly behind me. I already was prepared for troubles but they continued their patrol. By the way - it was at midnight.

This little incident is also a reason why I prefer to wear my heels in bride daylight.

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

There is no such thing as a National ID card in the United States. Ordinairly, a person's Driver's License serves as a form of Identification. For people that don't drive, most states issue a "Department of Motor Vehicle" ID card. Which is essentially the same form as a Drivers License including photograph and current residence address. Many of the larger department stores now routinely require person using a credit card to make a purchase, produce a "picture" ID card as proof that you are the person who's name is on the credit card. As for being stopped by the police while wearing heels, I've been stopped once or twice for various infractions. Once, when wearing boots with 4" heels, I had to sit in the squad car while the trooper wrote a ticket. Although I'm positive he noticed my footwear, he never commented. Even whished me a "pleasant evening" after giving me a warning ticket for a burned out tail light.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

There is no such thing as a National ID card in the United States. Ordinairly, a person's Driver's License serves as a form of Identification. For people that don't drive, most states issue a "Department of Motor Vehicle" ID card. Which is essentially the same form as a Drivers License including photograph and current residence address.

Well, by default, your DL and Social Security number are the national ID of the USA.

A passport is good too.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

The last time I checked, there is no requirement in the United States to carry any form of identification. However there are more than a few "law and order" types who are trying at every turn to force a national ID card upon us.

Sadly, the same is true here in the UK. When the debate gets on the news, the tone is often 'the innocent have nothing to worry about, so anyone objecting must be guilty of something'. I believe that anyone recieving any kind of state benefit or tax allowance will soon be required to hold a card stating their entitlement, which is the thin end of the wedge.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 2 weeks later...

I was caught by 2 cops one evening just when I was opening the door of my car to get in. They realized my unusual footware, and came straight to me. Although we have an ID card in our country, they asked me for my driving license (DL). I reacted inmediately and gave it back to them, adding that I was very aware that it would need to be renewed in no more than 3 weeks (we have to renew it every 10 years), but it was still valid. Since they realized I was taking good care of my DL, they gave it a quick superficial look and that was all. Finally, they dared to make the real question: Why are you wearing such kind of shoes ? Inmediate answer: "Since Carnaval is 2 weeks from now, I have to take some good practice, and my flat's corridor is just too short for a real test". They kindly asked me to please not drive in them because it could be dangerous for me and others. I replied that I fully agree, and once they saw I took them off and took my regular male shoes on for driving they let me go.

I don't understand what business it is of theirs as to what kind of shoes you wish to wear?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I don't understand what business it is of theirs as to what kind of shoes you wish to wear?

In the UK, at least, it is theoretically possible to be prosecuted for driving in unsuitable footwear. I know there was a big fuss a little while ago about some football bloke - don't know who - who was driving in football boots. Some Chief Constable said that if it had been on his patch he'd have been off down the nick. It's the same law that says you can't drive while holding a can of soft drink. Anyhow, technically in England and Wales at least, if your footwear is unsuitable, you can be prosecuted. I don't know if there's a list of banned footwear, or if it's different for men and women, but it's worth thinking about.

On the other hand, it'd be fun watching some policemen trying to prosecute a man for driving in heels, while admitting they wouldn't necessarily prosecute a woman in the same circumstance!

I think any shoes which lessen your control of the car are not allowed. A lawyer could only argue differently for men and women on the grounds of "experience" which in my case wouldn't work as I have enough heel wearing evidence plastered all over the internet and enough people to back me up to say that's my regular wear.

Meaning not to be unkind to ladies, yesterday I was in a wedding party and I saw one lady wearing high heeled mules, those ones which support feet only from a small frontal section. Heels were bladed, 11 cms w/o platform. The kind of mule which is very easy to lose ! Judging the way she was walking and dancing she did not have a lot of practice. The point was that later on, she entered into her "monster" Mercedes ML470 (a real big piece of hardware). She did not have a replacement pair for driving. Naturally, manual shifting (I wonder why we Europeans are still so stupid concerning manual shifting) and I bet you all she was a real danger. Think about the combination: High heels, a big Mercedes ML, a wedding party where more or less people get out a bit "happy" ... That is why I agree to the fact there should be limitations regarding driving with high heels, and with even more reason in Europe than in Canada or the US. The point is that being a lady should not make necessarily a difference, depends strictly on the practice. After all, respect to your life and others is a very basic issue. Without this, what else does make any sense ?

Well, as we've said, there are some rules in the UK. But Bob2hh, why do we need more rules in the UK? And what's wrong with manual gearboxes? As I've said elsewhere, the worst bit of driving in heels is the accelerator in my BMW!

Dear Yamyam, If you already have rules you certainly don't need anymore. I am very much against nazi-minded mentality. It is offensive to our intelligence having just too many rules. Concerning manual gearboxes, I suggest you do the following: - one day when you leave your job with a big headache, take a trip in the M25 or similar road in a busy traffic hour in a manual gearbox car. Make sure you have to stop / go / stop / go at least 200 times. - next day, do the same in an automatic gearbox car. You will find a slight difference in comfort. And the thrill of engaging clutch / 1st shift / clutch / neutral will quickly dissappear. The point is that if traffic were more fluid you could ENJOY having a manual gearbox and a more sporty driving style. Manual gearboxes in such context are just fine; it's part of the challenge and they give you no doubt a better control. However, how often do you find yourself in position of enjoying your BMW performance in full ? Consider: - Traffic jams - Radars & Speed limits (ah ! those road "friends" always ready to "help educating" you in a spirit of service and total monetary disinterest ...) - Others who, not feeling safe due to not being attached to the steering wheel, keep telling you please don't drive so fast ! - Your heels and your sense of responsability (a few tenths of second can make a difference) All those are factors which restrict the possibility to enjoy a manual gearbox to maybe only 10% of the potential time. In the remaining 90% an automatic transmission is far more practical. That's what's wrong with manual gearboxes. You can enjoy them only a minor percentage of time, unless you could afford having 2 cars: One for practical use (automatic) and one for occasional sports or 4WD use (manual).

I find it next to impossible (and extremely painful) to operate a clutch while wearing 6 inch spike heels. However I can do it with some difficulty in 4 inch wedges. But in either case, I wouldn't want to do it for long and in slow traffic. As an aside I have a lot of respect for women who can operate a manual gearbox and consume raw oysters by the dozen.

Michael

Dear Yamyam,

Concerning manual gearboxes, I suggest you do the following:

- one day when you leave your job with a big headache, take a trip in the M25 or similar road in a busy traffic hour in a manual gearbox car. Make sure you have to stop / go / stop / go at least 200 times.

- next day, do the same in an automatic gearbox car.

You will find a slight difference in comfort. And the thrill of engaging clutch / 1st shift / clutch / neutral will quickly dissappear.

Ah, well, I live well over a hundred miles from the M25, and so getting stuck in traffic is not normally a problem. Where I live, and when I usually arrange to travel, there's little congestion.

Having said that, I don't often get to use the full performance of my BMW, but I do get to have lots of fun in it, using the performance that I can use. Up here, we're fairly free of stupid speed cameras, and there's plenty of good roads for a burn-up! But I'm sure that if I drove regularly in heavy traffic, then I'd appreciate the difference.

That's what's wrong with manual gearboxes. You can enjoy them only a minor percentage of time, unless you could afford having 2 cars: One for practical use (automatic) and one for occasional sports or 4WD use (manual).

I actually have two cars, but the 'practical' one is bound by work's rules, and the number one rule is that we're not allowed automatics. So, that'd have to be a manual anyway. My personal car is up to me, and for that I'd have quite liked automatic, just for a change, but the car I found was manual, so there you have it. But I quite enjoyed driving my brothers Audi automatic, and I'd have one of those, but perhaps next time.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one!

Concerning manual gearboxes... I'm learning to drive at the moment (I have my theory test next wednesday as it happens). I really enjoy driving. Getting to grips with clutch control and all that fancy footwork has been great fun, and I'm now at a point where I can do it pretty well. I can even move the car off on tickover with just my left foot and my hand out the sunroof (if I wanted). It's great if you're stuck in traffic to be able to move along at the pace of the traffic without actually using the accelerator. It makes it so much easier and it's cheaper too, because your revs are lower, therefore you use less fuel. I wouldn't want to learn on an automatic. They're just so damn boring. You may as well be driving a go-kart. There's no challenge or fun in it (ok there's fun with go-karts, but you get my point). My friend's dad has a Volvo V70 with a dual automatic gearbox (close ration sports, and standard gearboxes). Apparently he can have it in semi-auto mode where he shifts gear with the accelerator... not exactly sure how THAT one works tho... Anyway... All hail to the clutch! SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

As a kid (between 11 and 17) I drove a few vehicles .... unroadworthy wrecks, off road. More than the odd one had a clutch that was burnt out and would slip when provoked. Guess why I don't particularly like automatics where the 'clutch' is designed to slip ..... hopefully not too much. Xa