Why do comparatively

e

few women wear stiletto heels. While there might be more today than 10 years ago, it's still a distinct minority here in Rochester,NY. I'd guess no more than 20-30% of the females, regardless of the age bracket, work, business or social occasion. Is it because of how they look,how they feel, or a combination, or something else?

Well, let us be honest here -- how often do heel-wearing guys say that they feel like the whole world is watching when they go out in heels -- especially early on. Look through the guys' forum and you will find it's pretty common. Further, the attention -- whether actual or just imagined -- is unnerving. I would think the situation would be similar for a woman, even if she knows she looks great. (Don't forget that women tend to be more critical of their own appearance that we are. We may think she looks super smokin' hot but she can find some imperfection.) Add to that the fact that high heels are a commitment. They require some practice, some "getting used to" and frequently they are associated with some discomfort (although that can be minimized with proper fit). Some women just don't want to go through the hassle. How many guys are dedicated enough to make the commitment? (. . . and admit it??? -- probably a lot less.) I think it really all comes down to personal preference. We all decide what image we want to project.

Have a happy time!

I might be a bit presumptuous here, but to some degree there's a "glam" style: short skirts, low tops, tight clothes, high heels, makeup, jewelry, etc. They don't all have to be present, and to the extreme, I'll admit it's hooker-type clothing (which sometimes can be borderline with "clubwear").

However, I'd venture to guess that for the majority of women that you see wearing "high" heels, there's probably some of the other traits as well. Are they wearing as micro-mini skirt, maybe not, but still maybe either a short or a tight-fitting skirt. Are they wearing warpaint, maybe not, but perhaps some makeup that makes them get noticed, vs just just simple coverup makeup.

My last statement is probably key, "get noticed". Some women (and men) are just looking to blend in, while others really want to get noticed. Regardless of how you want people to react, if you're a guy, and you wear leather pants and a muscle shirt, you're gonna get noticed. Likewise for a woman, wearing a short skirt and high heels, there's not a lot of blending in going on. I think maybe people don't want that extra attention, and it's difficult not to get it in 4" heels.

Part of this also comes down to comfort, which to a degree is a lifestyle choice (as jmc pointed out). You can have a perfectly-fitting corset, but in honestly, it's going to me more uncomfortable than not wearing one. Same thing with heels. You can have a pair that fits perfectly, but there still not as comfortable as flat shoes. Now you might feel different (sexier, more confident) in these items, which can help offset the discomfort, but it's still there. No much how much you like your heels, there's some definite relief at the end of the day when you take them off.

was chatting to a friend about heels a few months back and she said she saw heels as a smart thing and would only wear them when dressed up smart, so when smart/casual or when dressed down she would not be wearing heels. so i think alot of women she it the same way these days, it is rare to see a women in heels every day.

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

High heels, especially stilettos, have usually been considered more for dressed up and formal occasions, but young girls have worn them when ever they wanted to appear more grown-up and get the notice many youths seem to crave. High heels have also received a bum reputation from being the common objects worn while involved in the seductive enticements of prostitution, adult productions and other activities which encourage impassioned arousal for both men and women. The appearance of heels being worn gives the scene or situation a bit of class to such vile imaging, but the association is made and now they are looked upon as objects promoting an evil lifestyle in many minds. The fact that guys have generally been unaccepted in wearing heels socially, makes us want to wear them for whatever the activity is. Once men are wearing high heels as commonly as women, most may choose to use more discretion as to their heeling activities. However, even women wear heels when they could choose not too. So, the same can be expected of men. After all, it is their right to choose what they want to wear.

Not so many women wear them these days because the adverse effects of wearing them since the rise of the stiletto has been well documented scientifically. People have suffered badly from wearing them. Sort of the same as the decline of the cigarette

I'm not sure there is an actual decline in the wearing of high heels. There are slumps and peaks that happen in most any activity where fashion is involved. For many years, high heels have been under the constant scrutiny of disgruntled and former high heelers along with professional podiatrist to desist in their use; stating they are the cause of many foot ailments and injuries. Their facts have been studied and documented, but those who enjoy their heels still persist in wearing them, in spite of these charges against heeling. Obviously, heels can not or will not be worn by everyone for various reasons. For those that are or will become active heelers, they should be aware of the potential injuries and ailments. They should also take preventative measures to reduce these ill effects from happening. Feet like snowflakes have their own distinctions. You'll have to experiment a bit to find what may work for you best, according to your preferences. Now smoking has been known to be relaxing and satisfying. However, the more it is done, the more ones body has to fight to clear or contain the toxins introduced to mainly the respiratory system and then to the rest of the biological works. For a time, the body functions properly in ridding these toxins. Then through constant use, pockets of the smoking residue begin to accumulate in certain areas causing impairments and even failure to function at all, in those places. The end result is death. The wearing of high heels, on the other hand, will not kill you through constant use, unless you disregard any signs of injury or ailment. There has been post about permentantly securing heels to the wearer's feet and that measure could cause complicatons possibly resulting in a remote chance of amputation or death, but the normal wearing of heels will not be the direct cause of ones demise.

I'm not sure there is an actual decline in the wearing of high heels...

Just throwing this out - anyone think there are seasonal variations in heel wearing? If so, would you say it's more common during warmer weather, or cooler?

Just throwing this out - anyone think there are seasonal variations in heel wearing? If so, would you say it's more common during warmer weather, or cooler?

May not be attached to seasonal variations, but to other factors such as trends. moods, or just the plain individuality of many people.

May not be attached to seasonal variations, but to other factors such as trends. moods, or just the plain individuality of many people.

I think jwhite44 and Histiletto are both correct. Depending on the season, fashion trend, and individual style, the number of heel wearers varies. However, I bet there is a fairly stable number of people that wear them in any case. I work with a few ladies that wear them most everyday. Others are hit and miss; could be the weather, mood, etc.

Also don't forget that the function, event or place is big factor. Ladies tend to wear higher heels for more formal occasions. (Party shoes, so to speak).

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Also don't forget that the function, event or place is big factor. Ladies tend to wear higher heels for more formal occasions. (Party shoes, so to speak).

A BIG DEFINITELY Bubba136! For those who don't wear high heels regularly, a formal get together is probably the major reason to do so.

I like formal events for 2 major reasons: There is typically above average fare for the taste buds and... for the eyes!

few women wear stiletto heels.

While there might be more today than 10 years ago, it's still a distinct minority here in Rochester,NY.

I'd guess no more than 20-30% of the females, regardless of the age bracket, work, business or social occasion.

Is it because of how they look,how they feel, or a combination, or something else?

In addition to everything else that has been said, there are geographic differences.

Some geographies are highly competitive, others more relaxed. In some places, people wrinkle their noses at ostentatious display.

So NYC, in addition to having more people to begin with, will have a higher proportion of better dressed women than Rochester.

I would also expect Albany, which is a state capital and more closely coupled to New York and Boston (and even Montreal), to have a higher proportion of better dressed women than Rochester, which is a little more out of the way.

Having said that, these are all generalizations and there are personal variations. I was visiting a large company in Rochester about ten years ago. The women who were hosting the visit both wore heels. During the visit, we went to a part of the facility where, due to the manufacturing process being used, there were these funny black rubber mats with round holes the size of nickels all over the floor. Both women walked on these mats in their heels without difficulty.

Boylegs:-) Evidently those women were used to wearing heels everyday and could handle walking on those mats because they do it a lot and are up to walking on them frequently. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!