Small feet & high heels

wez

Hi, Have any of you out there got small feet? If so how do you find wearing high heels & what's you limit? My wife has small feet (size 4 UK) and she is finding that about 4" is her wearable limit. I brought her a pair of 4" heeled knee boots (with a little platform) from Schuh for Christmas but she is finding them a bit of a strain, despite wanting to wear them! It seems that the heel height doesn't vary with shoe size so the 4" heels stay the same whatever the shoe size making them quite arched in size 4s! At least means we can go shopping for more boots!

Admirer of one special lady in high heels.

Yes this is a common "error" on the part of many manufacturers. This means that if a shoe is designed in size 5, they will look completely different in an 8 or 9. A good make will increase the heel height every couple of sizes or so.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

One thing that should be said: Aren't smaller feet more attractive in high heels? Somehow the shape of the arch within the shoe just looks so much more sexy. Your wife is lucky (as are you of course). A but of training though and she should be able to do 5 or maybe even 6 inchers (you'll be surprised!)

Couldn`t agree more High Suprise. As much as I love the highest heels possible, the real turn on for me is the relationship of the heel tip to the ball of the foot and the shortness of the toe box; the closer, the better. Hence I love Ballets, no forward toe box (I really don`t like the current style for long toe boxes, as fashionable as they are, they don`t do anything for me). There is something that happens to a smaller foot in a high heel, that is so much more of a turn on, it`s all about the proportions I suppose. When I worked in my local supermarket a few years ago, I used to see a woman who was quite short but had truely tiny feet but she used to wear really high heels for her shoe size, they may have been only 3 or 4 inches) but looked truely fantastic. As you will read elsewhere I have just bought some UK7 4inch calf boots which give the effect of making my feet appear smaller....hooray

Glad you agree Big D - good to meet someone who thinks the same. It is such a turn on to see the foot at the highest angle possible (with all the weight of the body on the ball of the foot) Yum yum! I have NEVER seen pictures of REALLY tiny feet in extreme heels - Is there such thing? Anyone know where one can find pics like these?

Strange how the shoes are the focus. Longer toes don't do a thing, small feet turn you on... Interesting, as usually a woman thinks a man's eyes look at her chest, here, she may just think he's shy and avoiding eye contact, when really he is juding her shoes and the size of her feet! And strange how women should have small feet, and men should have large feet, per the joke. Just bizzare... :wink:

Big feet, small feet, I just like a man who treats me well. Found one, too. Foot size wouldn't even be close to being on my list of what I would look for. No wonder good looking scandinavian models are always so lonely, it's the big feet. Hey, when you're tall, you need big feet to stand properly. Of course, by average I am tall in North America, but I am sure I am a bit short back in the home country.

High Surprise I must admit you descriptions, thoughts, and appreciation surrounding the realities of women with small feet wearing very high heels is music to my ears. Wez, in answer to your question, my feet are size 5 (US) which I think is just a bit smaller than the size 4 you mentioned. Acording to the size charts your wifes size 4 would be the same as a size 5 1/2 (US). I don't know how much faith can be put in the charts, the one on Jenny's measurement page, as it lists size 5 1/2 feet as 9.4" long. That's nearly a full inch longer than my feet are. I've been in and out of these forums for approximately 5 years and many of the long time participants and readers are familiar with me. There are some realities, one of them being not all feet are created equal, even those of the "same size". When it comes to the heel height possible in the small sizes there are several realities. The basic laws of math apply, as they always do (in reality :wink: ). A full 6" heel on a true size 5 (US) is a stretch of reality. Remember, it's a small foot and it isn't very long. Additionally, the bone and joint structure of the ankle, foot, and toes determines for the most part the limits of heel height. The word "training" was used in a previous post to this topic. Some enhancement can be achieved and that is going to vary to a significant degree. I've taken a lot of criticism surrounding the training effort I put forth many years ago, yet absolutely no one "knows" what I did. For me in a 5 1/4" to 5 1/2" heel, the heel tip is 1" from the sole of the shoe as best I can measure it. My instep is arched forward over the bend of my toes, not because of an overly arched foot, but because the position of my heel bone, I'm fortunate, is very steep, blending the bend of my ankles with the arch of my feet. My toes are very short, will bend exceedingly tight, and are slightly gathered. For this and the fact that I've learned to instinctively make no use of my toes has made wearing heels with very short pointed toes for many years possible. With my feet side by side I stand in a space no larger than a tea cup saucer. It creats the silhouette I worked to achieve long ago, petite, delicate, pleasingly attractive, balanced on the smallest of pedestals, the end of my feet. All manner of motion and walk must be fluid, unencumbered in appearance, with spirit and delightfully feminine. Being small, I'm 5', and wearing very high heels presents a host of unyielding realities. Our legs are short, our stride is by nature shorter than usual, and the heels demand an even shorter stride, which means we must take more and quicker steps. (I can assure you that when walking with a group of people there is rarely any consideration. I suppose no one ever really thinks about it.) A knee length straight or tapered skirt in my size 3 or 5, (very small hem) compliments the very high heels, is attractive and flatters my silhouette (figure), is hobbling at my knees and restricts in unyielding reality my manner of fluid motion and walk. I've posted on other topics commenting on such things as stepping onto a fast moving escalator. With short legs, extreme heels, and a tight skirt, it takes a quick step with spirit without losing my balance. :D It's all a matter of preference, who we are and how we're put together. In my mind God made me a little woman with small feet. It's just me and my personality. Susan

Susan (the original) and Laurieheels, I just want you both to know (be told once again...) how important you are for this forum! You are both "idols/ikons" setting goals to acheive for others. By your contributions you make others truly believe that the desired "goal" is not a myth, but instead a real possibility given time and effort. My very best regards, TallSwede

Wow, Seem to have opened an entirely new world of high heel appreciation. Susan, many thanks for you long reply, as you say there are some physical limits (I'd pretty much guessed the same about maximum height) and otherwise it is down to what you are prepared to do and how you want to be. At the moment the highest pair she has is 5" with a tiny platform (1/4" at most), at the moment anyway...... Seems like from a male perspective anyway, the consensus is that I'm quite lucky to have a wife with small feet! :wink:

Admirer of one special lady in high heels.

Susan (the original) - thank you for your fantastic reply. Glad you agreed with me. In a way, the extra effort which is required by heel wearers with smaller feet is a little bit special in itself. When seeing someone wearing small and very high heels, one realizes how beautiful the combination looks and appreciates the effort I feel. Long live small high heels :-) PS. Do you not find that many of the pictures on the hhplace.org site generally include larger feet? Interesting since we all agree small looks better. Maybe we should set up a small feet high heels section in the Pics area?

I used to think small feet (up to us 7 1/2 or :wink: were the only ones that looked good in heels. I think thats because the heel hight never went up as the sizes increased. But when you see a movie of a small foot, blown up several times life size, they still look the same, so its really a matter of aspect ratio. I have seen modern size 10's and larger that look just super. I think the maufactures are starting to catch on with sizing up the heels.

I answered "no" on your poll. The only thing really good about smaller feet is that they don't have a problem finding shoes that fit, a point of envy for some, including myself. :x The Chinese have been doing an extremely painful procedure for several years on young women who wish to be taller (apparently tallness equates to better jobs, pay, respect, etc. for women in China these days) which involves breaking the leg bones, then putting the legs in tension for a period of about a year, during which the voluntary "victim" adjusts the tension a little more each day. It results in an increase in height of 4-5" over the time period. This according to an article in CosmoGirl. I wonder if some enterprising surgical team could come up with the reverse, applied to the feet?

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

The last time I thought about this issue, I didn't remember any individual having a choice on what size their feet would grow to. So, does it make a difference -- only to the beholder, I guess. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I'd agree that it's really all about aspect ratio, but a size 3 or 4 (UK) shoe will look far more dainty than a size 8 or above shoe even if the ratios are consistent. I'm sure most women who have size 6+ feet would prefer to be at least a size less, even though they may still be able to get shoes in their size. I'm not so sure that women who take a size 3 or 4 would wish to have bigger feet.

Again, it's all a matter of who we are, how we're put together, and personal preference. As Bubba suggested, we haven't the real ability of "choosing" our foot size. I thank you for the comments and the discussion has been a bit of a pleasure. The only thing I have to disagree with is the idea we have no problem finding small sizes. Actually it often becomes quite difficult. All you have to do is look through a couple of the online catalogs and you'll nice the available sizes usually "start" as size 6. Many of the sandals styles are offered in size 5 but since I refuse to wear sandals it isn't any help. Even in some cases if a size 5 is offered in a style with an advertised 5" heel, it usually is really a 4 1/2" or possibly a 4" heel. So, when it comes to the size/ratio thing that's been discussed, it works both ways. I learned long long ago, when I found a pair of shoes I liked I didn't just buy one pair. Because of the infrequent demand for the small sizes it wasn't unusal for stores to stock only a few pair of any particular style. It wasn't unusal for me to buy "all" of the style I liked, most often of different colors. One of the more recent memories of that was when Wild Pair was still in business. There were two stores within an hours drive of my home. When the stores got in a new order of heels they would call me. Don't misunderstand, I didn't rush right over and when I did get to the store if I didn't like what they had I surely didn't make any purchases. In the 70's there was a store named Chandlers. They had good quality high and very high heels in a wide selection of styles, many attractively unusual styles, very often in my size 5. To this day, I still have shoes I've never worn. The custom made heels I had made in the 70's and early 80's are also still in my closets. All of this may sound a bit foolish but it was necesary because of the lack of small sizes. The present styles and even those of the past few years are not of my preference, I don't like them :wink: so thank goodness I have my own selection. Susan

The size 5 (US) that Susan is talking about equates to approximately a size 3 (UK) or 35½ (EU); that's a foot length of 21.6cm or 8½". I'm not entirely sure about the accuracy of the conversions as different websites give various different figures, however Susan's size is generally accepted as being the smallest for a women, smaller sizes fall into the girls category. Few shops sell very high heeled shoes and even fewer will stock the very small or large sizes which cater for a very small percentage of the population.

I find small feet most attractive. The arch is what really makes a shoe attractive. If they made shoes for women who have size 8(us) feet or larger more arched then I'd find them attractive too. I believe manufacturers flatten the arch in the shoe as sizes increase Manufacturers should make lager size shoes more arched ( meaning the distance between the sole's heel point and toe point, made shorter)

• 2 years later...

I'm 5'6" tall - and take a UK size5 shoe - so, small by any standards.

According to the experts - the highest heel I can wear WITHOUT a platform is 6.75" :wink: !!

However - the highest heel MY FEET tell me I can wear for any time is 5" :D !!

Check this on the "6inchheelsforever" heel height chart at:

www.orientvisual.com (click on the "6ihforever" banner and go to the shoe size chart).

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

It's funny how shoe makers use the heel height throughout the range of sizes for that type of shoe. I am petite/normal and wear a size 6 (US) heel...my room mate is bigger/taller and wears a size 9 heel. Both of us are pretty proportionate with our feet to our body size. I have noticed time and time again with similar heels that mine have a steeper arch in my heels and hers are more drawn out and not as steep. I guess because there is more room to stretch out the area which makes hers not seem as high as mine. I mean...it's very noticable how steep mine are compared to hers, which in turn I can tell that a few times we went out for something dressed up and on our feet a lot in our heels, after 4 hours in mine I could feel it but she wasn't really bothered yet.

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

Hey everyone, I'm a 5 1/2 or 6 in heels...and my 6" heels arent really 6"..more like 5 1/4 to 5 1/2. I dont think you're ever going to see a girl with feet as small as mine in a real 6" heel. Anyway, with enough practice/training/and having the right feet its doable to wear super high heels. Jen

Yes, I do walk in these