The Service Guy...

William

So yesterday, I was waiting for a repair guy to fix the dryer. I live in a fairly good sized city -- not like I was expecting anyone I might ever see again. It had been some time since I had worn heels just to get a reaction from a stranger (I haven't been wearing heels out much lately.) So, I decide to wear some boots with big chunky four inch heels. We have wood floors though most of the house. They were very loud. As I opened the door and invited him in, I towered over him. As I walked to the laundry room, my boots were so loud on the floors. Nothing... not a single comment. As he came in the room to tell me he had to go back to the truck to get a tool, I was sitting with my legs crossed, heel fully exposed! Nothing... I don't know if the guy was shocked and just couldn't speak, or what? Anybody ever really try to get noticed like that? I was so frustrated. But, heck, the dryer works fine now.

If he's been in the repair biz for a while, he's probably seen far more shocking stuff than that. Further, he probably knows that if he made a comment that was taken the wrong way he runs the risk of alienating a customer.

Have a happy time!

The tool that he went back to the truck to retrieve probably was a big stick that he could use in self defense in case that big dude in the high heel boots attacked him.....LOL

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Why? Exhibitionism mainly -- the rush of pushing the envelope -- the faint possibility of common interest ... not sure how much goes into the decision to do (or wear) something that challenges the mainstream. Thoughts?

So yesterday, I was waiting for a repair guy to fix the dryer. I live in a fairly good sized city -- not like I was expecting anyone I might ever see again. It had been some time since I had worn heels just to get a reaction from a stranger (I haven't been wearing heels out much lately.) So, I decide to wear some boots with big chunky four inch heels. We have wood floors though most of the house. They were very loud. As I opened the door and invited him in, I towered over him. As I walked to the laundry room, my boots were so loud on the floors. Nothing... not a single comment. As he came in the room to tell me he had to go back to the truck to get a tool, I was sitting with my legs crossed, heel fully exposed! Nothing...

I don't know if the guy was shocked and just couldn't speak, or what? Anybody ever really try to get noticed like that? I was so frustrated. But, heck, the dryer works fine now.

Experienced service techs see a lot - I did when I was in the field -- trust me:w00t2::silly:

At which point you get the job done - collect - move on to the next call.

But OH the stories you collect!:winkiss:

GTMHP

Being a HVAC repairman I have seen my fair share. I entered the field when I was a youngster and lived out near D.C. with their hot sticky summers. You would show up to a call and you never knew what the woman of the house would be wearing, one piece swimsuit, bikini, lingerie. I remember one woman opening her door in a micro mini and nothing else. I guess Dad had seen it all because he was completely nonplussed by her. Fast forward I work in a retirement community and the only differance between then and now is gray hair, wrinkles and age spots. I've never been to sure where women get the confidence they do to be so sure of themselves but I sure wish I had a tenth of what some women have.

T&H

P.S. If any ladies read this that last comment is definatly ment as a compliment.

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel

I saw alot of "interesting stuff" when I drove for one of the big van lines to. We were told to keep our mouth shut and keep loading and hit the road! Per the van lines it all paid the same. This I will say the ones you think are clean and goody goody are the ones that have you move the wildest things. I think some put those items out for us to see and wonder what reaction they could get out of us. Truth be known I didn't care as long as I made my money.

I have been Banned for emailing abuse to tech when he tried to help me.

William –

A couple of thoughts:

Although your heels were loud on the wood floor, the noise was probably louder to you than to anyone else.

Exhibitionism can be part of the fun.

The other folks commenting on the service industry reinforce my belief that if you are paying for someone’s time, the main interest the other person has is in getting paid, even if it is by a guy in heels. :winkiss: I think this is why heeling in stores is so easy.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi William I work in the public service industry and come into contact with a wide range of folks who could provoke comment but because they are customers and in effect paying my wages I would not comment firstl because it would not be polite to do so and secondly I would not want to alienate from using my services again....bad news travels ten times faster that good.

William

Out of interest, why do you feel the need to push for a reaction from others? Why cant you just "let them be" and be happy with what your doing?

When I wear high heels in public, I don't "push" for a reaction, but I do enjoy the reactions that I get, positive, negative, or even the simple stare, with or without a sound or comment with it. I have seen few men in public in high heeled footwear. So it is still a unique sight for some to behold.

Hi William

I work in the public service industry and come into contact with a wide range of folks who could provoke comment but because they are customers and in effect paying my wages I would not comment firstl because it would not be polite to do so and secondly I would not want to alienate from using my services again....bad news travels ten times faster that good.

It sounds to me like you got a very professionally trained service professional. The service industry is a very delicate thing and the last thing a company needs is a ticked-off customer. Unto this end, they actually have classes on how to present a professional image in the presence of the customer. The really big name companies pay big bucks to train their service personnel on professional conduct. Every word, movement, even the way they carry their tools and parts is measured like an athlete executing a play.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head, Bad Robot; bad news rides a very fast horse. That's why, if there is something that the service guy needs to discuss with his boss, but not in the presence of the customer, he is trained to "go get a tool, part, manual, etc." and then make the phone call from the vehicle. If the service supervisor thinks the service guy is in trouble for some reason, he will send out another technician to either assist, cover, or relieve the first man. But the one thing that will not happen is some sort of confrontation with the customer.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels