Oh my poor hardwood....

Acadianheels

Ok, I know I can not be the only one here with hardwood floors. =o) I was just in my apt today looking at the lanolium in my kitchen and the yellow birch hard wood floor I have in my living room. They are all dinged up with stilletoe prints. Looks like someone took a small leather punch and a ballpean hammer to my floors. Hee hee hee....I love it though. Good times. The hard wood floor in the living room is due for replacement anyways. The kitchen...will stay that way. So do any of you have House/Apartment battle damage from your heels?

Ok, I know I can not be the only one here with hardwood floors. =o)

I was just in my apt today looking at the lanolium in my kitchen and the yellow birch hard wood floor I have in my living room. They are all dinged up with stilletoe prints. Looks like someone took a small leather punch and a ballpean hammer to my floors. Hee hee hee....I love it though. Good times. The hard wood floor in the living room is due for replacement anyways. The kitchen...will stay that way.

So do any of you have House/Apartment battle damage from your heels?

My house is more than 120 years old. We had the "original" hardwood floors refinished shortly before we moved in, which took a huge chunk out of my wife's household budget. I am charged, under penalty of death, or worse, if I ever put a "ding" in them with my heels. And, woe be unto anyone that passes through the portle of my house that does damage to them. A similar fate awaits then.

While I do have some shoes with steel stiletto heels, rest assured, they never have been set on these floors.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

My house is more than 120 years old. We had the "original" hardwood floors refinished shortly before we moved in, which took a huge chunk out of my wife's household budget. I am charged, under penalty of death, or worse, if I ever put a "ding" in them with my heels. And, woe be unto anyone that passes through the portle of my house that does damage to them. A similar fate awaits then.

While I do have some shoes with steel stiletto heels, rest assured, they never have been set on these floors.

To bad, I always floors were to walk on, not to admire like a 110 year old mint condition Persian rug.

real men wear heels

It certainly is amazing the damage that high heels can do to flooring. Thats to be expected. How do you tranport yourself in heels around your house without stepping on those hardwood floors, Bubba? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

You know I would Imagin there is...got to be....look at Basket ball courts. I have a friend who sells High heel videos. Chicks walking around in High heels. They did a video once in a high school basket ball court. The coach of the school said 'even in those heels jumping around you will never damage the 1/4 inch of finish here....' So they did the video...and she ran....and she jumped....no damage...so maybe that is the key. Industrial B-Ball court finish for your hard wood floors. =o) I gave up on my floors a long time ago. Besides in the kitchen...the little dings usually prompt people to ask what causes it which always is a good opertunity to talk heels.

My other half came in a while ago, about when I appeared here,last September and commented on the panelled floor having little dents.

Thought she'd caught me.

No she had worn down a pair of short heels to the tip pins!

Just a little embarrassed.

But as we are both in heels now we are more watchful

Al

Two points I wanted to mention: 1] I know that there is a polyurathene product available in most paint stores that is guaranteed to be hard as nails. Since no one has slipped me any cash, I won't mention any brand names; but take my word, such stuff is available. 2] I wasn't aware that birch is considered a hardwood? :thumbsup: When I think of hardwoods I usually think of hickory, oak, walnut, maple, pecan, teak, and mahogany. Some hardwoods are too dense to float, and that certainly doesn't describe birch.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Technically, birch is considered a hardwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch) -- clearly some hardwoods are harder than others. Even poplar and balsa are considered a hardwoods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood) although I doubt they will ever become popular for flooring.

In my case, most of my floors are carpeted so the dings and scratches don't show. (Although it does mute that delicious sound. . .) I have some linoleum in my kitchen but it doesn't seem to be a problem, even with a pair of metal-tipped stilettos.

Have a happy time!

To bad, I always floors were to walk on, not to admire like a 110 year old mint condition Persian rug.

I'll send you the bill the next time they need to be refinished. Then, you'll see why I only want to walk on them in stocking feet.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yeah Yellow birch is a hard wood...as far as I know....but maybe they call it a hard wood before it is dryed...Dunno...I am no tree expert. lol. I just know that this 50 year old wood is due for change. In the spring I am going shopping for a new floor to ding up. lol. The kitchen though...that linolium I swear is original to this section of the house...Antique....1940s. It has been to hell and back...but I don't mind...cuase I love the wear marks. lol. The pattern is drab and dark...So it isn't any big loss.... Who knows, maybe in the spring I will really get interested....and change the kitchen floor too.

I'll send you the bill the next time they need to be refinished. Then, you'll see why I only want to walk on them in stocking feet.

Maybe you can refinish it with some kind of hardener that you can walk on and won't hurt, or put rubber tips on your heels.

Or not and limit your in house heeling to rooms with carpet. Thats what I would do. Have a pair of heels sitting at the edge of the carpet on each side to slip into when I leave the hard wood. Of course that might require quite a lot of shoe changes each day if you don't leave the house.:thumbsup:

real men wear heels

We have a beautiful oak wood floor. My wife and I have agreed that we will not allow any stiletto heels on it. Or shoes with metal under them. (I experimented on loose unfinished pieces of parket and stiletto heels do leave marks. I don't think the finish I have, which accentuates the beauty, will change that). On the other hand, with a good finish, regular heels don't leave any marks. Hence we will walk on it with all other types of shoes. For a while I used to walk (out of lazyness) often on my socks, but the podologist told me I shouldn't do that. It caused me problems under my foot and walking became very painful. Now I always use shoes, with or without heels, with some special soles and everything is fine. The floor is still in mint condition after quite a few years. Maybe, in a few years, I may have to put a new protective layer on it, but that is all. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Maybe you can refinish it with some kind of hardener that you can walk on and won't hurt, or put rubber tips on your heels.

Or not and limit your in house heeling to rooms with carpet. Thats what I would do. Have a pair of heels sitting at the edge of the carpet on each side to slip into when I leave the hard wood. Of course that might require quite a lot of shoe changes each day if you don't leave the house.:welcome:

Actually, JH, I was only referring to wearing the pairs of shoes I have which have steel or metal heel tips. I do walk on our floors while wearing heels with soft tips that don't damage the wood. :thumbsup:

Technically, birch is considered a hardwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch) -- clearly some hardwoods are harder than others. Even poplar and balsa are considered a hardwoods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwood) although I doubt they will ever become popular for flooring.

In my case, most of my floors are carpeted so the dings and scratches don't show. (Although it does mute that delicious sound. . .) I have some linoleum in my kitchen but it doesn't seem to be a problem, even with a pair of metal-tipped stilettos.

Thanx for that interesting info! Who would've ever imagined balsa as a hardwood? :thumbsup: In any case, there's nothing like good solid oak or hickory for flooring, or maybe even some walnut or maple!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I did accidentally put a little hole in the vinyl flooring in our kitchen. I was wearing a pair of steel tipped stiletto boots I purchased from Frederick's of Hollywood almost twenty years ago. I tripped over that little brass strip separating the carpet in the living room from the vinyl in the kitchen. I caught my self before I fell but I put way too much pressure on one foot and pop goes the heel through the flooring. My wife was pretty pissed about it and still points it out ocassionally when she is in a bad mood. The floor is a little over eight years old and has some other scratched and dings in it.

I did accidentally put a little hole in the vinyl flooring in our kitchen. I was wearing a pair of steel tipped stiletto boots I purchased from Frederick's of Hollywood almost twenty years ago. I tripped over that little brass strip separating the carpet in the living room from the vinyl in the kitchen. I caught my self before I fell but I put way too much pressure on one foot and pop goes the heel through the flooring. My wife was pretty pissed about it and still points it out ocassionally when she is in a bad mood. The floor is a little over eight years old and has some other scratched and dings in it.

Uh-oh,:thumbsup: Now yer gonna have to redo the floor before you ever hear the last of it.:welcome:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Well, it appears that according to the technical definition, softwoods are those types of wood that come from conifer trees. So pine, rewood, fir, spruce and the like are considered softwoods. Hardwoods are those types of wood that come from non-conifer trees -- trees that leaf out in the spring and drop their leaves in the fall in the temperate climes. There's a lot more variation between the wood from different species among the hardwoods. Beech is hard as a rock, it's like working with metal while balsa is softer than any pine I've ever met. But they are both technically hardwoods.

Have a happy time!

Balsa as a hardwood? I have worked quite a bit wth balsa through the years and you can dent it with a fingernail much less with a high heel. I certainly would NOT call it a hardwood.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Just so. Indeed, balsa is so light that it is frequently used in model airplane structures. But for some strange reason, (cellular structure or otherwise) it falls into the hardwood category. :welcome: Believe me, I've seen pine that is much more rugged than balsa. So what about some other great woods - like cork? Is that also a hardwood? :thumbsup:

Nevertheless, I still say that oak and hickory are some of the most desireable hardwoods along with maple & walnut. Anyone for mahogany? Hey, what about some mahogany heels???

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

. . .

So what about some other great woods - like cork? Is that also a hardwood? :thumbsup:

. . .

Cork is not wood at all. It is the bark of a tree, the "cork oak" (Quercus Cerris). The wood of that tree, being a relative of the oak, would be considered a hardwood.

As far as desirable hardwoods, I'll never pass up ash either. The straight, fine grain is beautiful. Bird's-eye maple always adds some interesting effects too.

Have a happy time!

Cork is not wood at all. It is the bark of a tree, the "cork oak" (Quercus Cerris). The wood of that tree, being a relative of the oak, would be considered a hardwood.

As far as desirable hardwoods, I'll never pass up ash either. The straight, fine grain is beautiful. Bird's-eye maple always adds some interesting effects too.

Okay, thanx for getting squared-away on cork. I would have never guessed that it's a bark. Arf! Arf! Arf! :thumbsup:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Nope! Tile and carpet-covered tile. I'm sorry to hear you trashed your floors. There are some rock-hard floorings with a very realistic wood look and texture that can take the beating...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Let me make a statement and make it very clear, there is no substitute for real hardwood flooring. I have some wood floor substitute in my home, it has to be cleaned in a very particular manner, it can not ever get wet (don't believe them when they say it can, it can't), It has to be laid precisely to the exact instructions by a professional or the warranty is void. I would never have it again!

In the future I want real hardwood laid raw, sanded in place then sealed. Sealing it in place eliminates all possible seams for water penetration (remember water is the universal solvent) and this finishing process gives the floor an even appearance with no open seams.

Acanadian, if I were you I would check into having your current floor sanded and finished with a nail hard topcoat. The new finishes last for decades and need no waxing like the older finishes and the floor will be much more durable than anything you can currently buy. If you want a new look ask them about staining the current floor to a differant color.

Just some freindly advice from one who made the fake hardwood mistake and now has to rip it all out seven years later.

T&H

"Look for the woman in the dress, if there is no dress there is no woman."-Coco Channel