Heels on a Treadmill?

elliesboy

That was pretty cool, Amanda! LOL I'd like to see them do it in high heels though.. :w00t2: I would hope if one can figure out how not rip the tread path with the heels, that it would work. Right now (over the last 2 weeks) I've been walking either across my basement for 20-30 min, twice daily, or around the 1/4 mile running track at the local park early mornings, in my 6" heels to build endurance and grace (long pants). I can now walk about 3/4 mile with them, fairly gracefully, before I get too tired. I'd like to be able to simply walk on the treadmill down cellar instead, but the tread path is very thin...

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

How about wearing a pair of shoes with chunkier heels? While there are things out there to widen the base of a stiletto temporarily (seen them linked to from here before) they only widen it a little. A chunkier heel will spread out the weight more and reduce the chances of ruining the treadmill.

That's what I'm concerned about - the very high pressure on the tip of a stilletto will damage the belt. What I'm looking for is a way to temporarily widen the base of the heel, to spread the load more evenly. Any ideas?

Try using crutch tips. The right size ones will push onto the heel, be held with friction, then pull off when you're done. They are usually made of soft rubber, so they will widen and cushion the tip at the same time. These also work well for the times that you might want a discretely quiet high heel walk, although the look is admittedly goofy.

You can get them at www.mcmaster.com. Search for "crutch tips" and you will get a wide selection of sizes to fit heel diameters s from 1/4" to 1 1/4".

Thanks for your ideas folks! :lmao: I like the idea of the crutch / cane tips, I'll look out for some next time I'm in B&Q (our equivalent of Home Depot, etc.). I'm not quite ready to hit the real streets in my heels yet - the treadmill is the next best thing, but I don't want to damage it, especially as it belongs to SWMBO... :w00t2:

Why bother with a treadmill, when there are loads of streets about.

When my 6 3/4" D'orsays come in, I really don't want to practice on asphault and ruin the heel tips (or worse). Just walking around the running track (which is a hard but spongy/rubbery material) my 6"ers have become pretty worn...

When my 6 3/4" D'orsays come in, I really don't want to practice on asphault and ruin the heel tips (or worse). Just walking around the running track (which is a hard but spongy/rubbery material) my 6"ers have become pretty worn...

For practice, try using the crutch tips from an earlier post in this thread. They look goofy, but they should allow you to practice on any surface while preserving the heel tips for the real outing(s). They come in all sizes and should come off without leaving a mark.

They will add at least 1/4" to the rise, so when you take them off, walking on the real heel should feel easier.

Just a thought...

As per dubheii's suggestion, I managed to get some walking stick tips from a local hardware store. They were a bit big to fit tightly onto my heels, so I inserted a piece of rubber hose in each to make a smaller diameter hole. This worked an absolute treat, they are a nice tight fit and won't come off accidentally. I've just tottered my first 0.1 miles in my 5" shoes - I'm aiming to work up to a mile. Much more practice required! :w00t2:

Nice! It wouldn't "hurt" to put in some padding for the balls of the foot either if you plan on walking so far in them for endurance. I've had to do this for my 6"ers, and am up to over 1/2 mile now (on the running track)...

However, if you use one at low speeds...then build the speeds up to a half decent walking pace it would give the "novice" or first time heeler confidence enough to know that they CAN do it and do it well. Some guys dont want to streetheel and then fall on their backside and look stupid, i dont think anyone of us would even wish it on your worst enemy... Anyway I am looking at it as a tool to help you look better. I mean most of us can walk the 2-4 meters or so from one end of a room to another but this helps with practice... Just my opinion on it J.