The way we walk in heels...

ILuvHeels

I've been paying attention to how women walk in heels compared to men in heels. The thing I have noticed are the ankles.

Posted here are youtube videos. First one of a guy in ballet boots, second one of a girl in ballet boots. The reason I'm using ballet boots as an example is because it exaggerates the movement I'm talking about. Notice the ankles flexing outward on the guy, and flex inward on the girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgEtJ9uIFw

(I'm not sure that this is a guy, but this explains what I mean though)

Now some men have a problem walking "gracefully" in heels and I think this is the reason why.

As an observer of women in heels I always tend to watch how they do each step or can gracefully use skycrapers without any sign of pain at all. I have seen girls that bend the ankles to the inside, to the outside and ones that step gracefully with the heels in a vertical position. That way, I really don't think that the way a woman steps has anything to do with grace, since I have seen girls that wears heels with no grace at all.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

As an observer of women in heels I always tend to watch how they do each step or can gracefully use skycrapers without any sign of pain at all.

I have seen girls that bend the ankles to the inside, to the outside and ones that step gracefully with the heels in a vertical position. That way, I really don't think that the way a woman steps has anything to do with grace, since I have seen girls that wears heels with no grace at all.

I have see many women walk ungracefully in high heels and that is one reason many women won't wear high heels. And I have seen some men walk in high heels as graceful and effortlessly as can be. It just depends on the individual.

I agree with Roniheels... just today in the store in fact, I saw a woman in just 2" heels that looked like a disaster in progress, ankles tilting with each step. I strutted past her in my 4" block heels gliding along smoothly. Not sure she noticed me since I pretty much hide my heels under jeans, but if she did notice, I hope it made a point. So yes, I don't always think it is women vs men, it depends on the individual, on how much care they put into their steps. Women tend to want to swing their hips more when in heels, and I don't know about other men, but I try to walk just like I would in men's shoes, and try my best to keep that look in heels, and my wife says I do it very well. :winkiss:

I agree with both flavio and roniheels I've seen some moving disasters in short heels, young teens almost flailing around in 1/2" kittens. Then I see my 14y stepdaughter in 4" heels walk perfectly first time! Must be down to the genes? Either we've got it or they haven't

I'd put heel wearing in the same league as dancing, gymnastics, etc. Some people are just better at it, both in terms of physically being able to do it, as well as making it look graceful and smooth. While certainly a lot of it comes down to practice ('practice makes perfect'), I'm sure part of it is attitude. A woman (and perhaps a man) who looks good in heels maybe isn't just walking in them, but strutting. That extra bit of attitube, that they own their heels, could go a long way.

I've been paying attention to how women walk in heels compared to men in heels. The thing I have noticed are the ankles.

Posted here are youtube videos. First one of a guy in ballet boots, second one of a girl in ballet boots. The reason I'm using ballet boots as an example is because it exaggerates the movement I'm talking about. Notice the ankles flexing outward on the guy, and flex inward on the girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qgEtJ9uIFw

(I'm not sure that this is a guy, but this explains what I mean though)

Now some men have a problem walking "gracefully" in heels and I think this is the reason why.

I consider that to be a highly extreme example. I mean, how many people can successfully walk in ridiculous things like those? When it comes to far more sensible heels (if you can call four or five inch heels sensible), men can walk in such heels as easily as women. We are all proof of that.

As has already been stated here, not every woman can walk in heels, even if they're short. I used to have women tell me I walk better in heels than they do. It's all about the individual and how well they can manage such a feat. Some can, and some can't. Period. In my mind, gender has nothing to do with that.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Just a few extra lines or so from my previous post (sunday 19th) on which I displayed my heels to my lady for the very first time, recieving many positive comments relating to walk, balance and posture and being confident, also differences, movement and control, hip movement and a straighter back! for me that IS relervent.... I broke my neck (C5/C6) 3 years ago, neck and shoulder posture is a problem, I'm sure we are all lazy and stoop our shoulders much of the time but it is a real pain (more in damp cold weather) for me. A couple of hours in heels around the house helps far better than a couple of pain killers and thats only in my first month of "heeling" physio.

(...)

As has already been stated here, not every woman can walk in heels, even if they're short. I used to have women tell me I walk better in heels than they do. It's all about the individual and how well they can manage such a feat. Some can, and some can't. Period. In my mind, gender has nothing to do with that.

Couldn't say it better JeffB!!!

When I went to the costumes party I related on the thread:

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/6091-street_party_heeling_-_i_did_-_didn_t_hurt.html

a girl in its 35 yo came to me saying "I never was able to wear heels, I keep falling and bending my ankles. I'm trying to get used with 2'' heels to start. It's a shame for me you walk so well in heels so high. Congratulations!"

I think it proves that the capability of walking well in heels is an inividual thing, not related to gender.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

I agree it's all in some sort of genetic make-up. I was always able to walk gracefully in heels with no practice. Yet most people (men and women) can't. I get asked how long I practice to be able to walk in my heels all the time, and they never believe me when I tell them I never had to practice. The rare times (usually when in high plats and drunk) when I wobble it's my ankles going inwards slightly...

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

as individual as heeling is, there is some generally accepted gender differences.. and by that.. i mean... academic differences.. and very loose.

in terms of hip structure and joint placement on heels means that if there is to be a natural sway to the hips in heels (same as without).. it's going to show up more in a woman.. but not in all cases. physical muscular strength of the pelvic area is going to influence the expression of that sway.

after that... it's very individualistic. same goes with the presence of lean.. some are inward leaners, others outward, others not.. and that isn't gender related either.

guys can learn to walk from the hip just like gals can learn to walk from shoulders.

all i can say is this... i would love to see more and more women in high heels.. and much taller than is popular (and i may be a serious minority voice when saying this).. but thinner plats for those who wear plats.. (if not no plats.... please don't kick me out for saying my opinion)

RPM

as individual as heeling is, there is some generally accepted gender differences.. and by that.. i mean... academic differences.. and very loose.

in terms of hip structure and joint placement on heels means that if there is to be a natural sway to the hips in heels (same as without).. it's going to show up more in a woman.. but not in all cases. physical muscular strength of the pelvic area is going to influence the expression of that sway.

after that... it's very individualistic. same goes with the presence of lean.. some are inward leaners, others outward, others not.. and that isn't gender related either.

guys can learn to walk from the hip just like gals can learn to walk from shoulders.

all i can say is this... i would love to see more and more women in high heels.. and much taller than is popular (and i may be a serious minority voice when saying this).. but thinner plats for those who wear plats.. (if not no plats.... please don't kick me out for saying my opinion)

RPM

Good points RPM.

Anatomy and centre of gravity have a lot to do with it too. Men tend to walk from the shoulders (it's the way they're made) and generally swing their arm more than women. They also hunch their shoulders more than women and often look towards the ground too. Men also walk with their feet outwards more - hence the tendency for a man to swagger or 'lope' in his gate.

Women have a lower centre of gravity (again - biology) and walk from the hips. In most cases - women walk with their heads up and backs straight - and don't swing their arms as much - so the emphasis is on the swivel of their hips as they walk. I've seen some girls walk as if they're just gliding along. Most women also put their feet straight in front of each other too. Don't get me wrong though - plenty of women simply cannot walk in heels - because they have no idea of the correct posture.

The best description I've ever heard of how women walk (in heels) compared to men - is the scene on the Railway Station in 'Some Like It Hot' - when Marilyn Monroe walks past Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.

Jack Lemmon says - "..it's like jello on springs!!":eyecrazy: :winkiss:

Exactly!!!:nervous:

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"