Uk Newbie question

davemcwish

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before - I've just joined so don't have the search facility.

After debating this for a while and trying to get my head sorted over other issues I've decided to give in to my long held desires and start wearing heels. For those that are interested I'm looking at Oxford's and boots although I came across these:-

http://www.lovemyshoes.com/products2.cfm/id/25630/item/-------by-CARRINI

and was strangely attracted....unfortunately I'm too big being a UK 8-8.5 :-(

Anyway onto my qtns...

There's plenty of conversion tables but do I need to factor in a difference as I'm wearing heels - if so what ?

Secondly can anyone recommend any retail stores that I could go to that does heels in large sizes (I'm in Essex). As I'm just starting out I feel that I need to try first.

Final question, I've see some comments that heel choice can be dependent on an individual's figure. Can anyone send me a link that explains this. For what it's worth I'm average male height but slim (5'10" 140lbs).

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave! and welcome to HHplace!

Browse around the forums a little bit, you will find lots of threads about sizing and style selection.

Basically you are going to find that sizing is a little bit indeterminate, it tends to vary a lot depending on manufacturer and style. The best way to determine the proper size is to try the shoes on -- which is a complication for those of us who order online. If you order online, deal with a vendor who has a generous return policy -- a lot of them do because they realize the sizing problem is such an issue.

Styling is more a matter of personal preference and the image you wish to adopt -- and to a large extent, how much you want to "push the envelope". Blocks and wedges are a little more conservative, while stilettos are more avant-garde. Again, look around -- we talk about this stuff all the time.

While I'm at it I should mention www.heels4men.org -- HHplace's "brother site" dedicated to guys wearing heels.

Have a happy time!

If you're a UK 8 (even a large 8 ), you're in luck. a) Most high street shoe stores carry those sizes, and :thumbsup: the general experience on the list is that none of the staff care if you're a bloke trying on heels - it's a sale! If you're worried, pick one of the major shopping centres and go in half an hour before the stores close on their late opening nights.

http://www.northernconcord.org.uk/shoes.htm has a list of shops nationwide and is a useful resource for ladies shoes - depends what you want!

http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk have a good returns policy - return in original packaging and undamaged within 7 days for a full refund less postage costs.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Virtually everywhere will have size 8. There are also quite a few size 9s around. Clarks, Hush Puppies, Next and others have quite a few styles in size 9. Evans have bigger sizes too - be careful because their sizing is often generous.

Hello Dave I am a new bod to this as well and this site is great for getting everything out in the open, am so glad I joined and I have said this before but the best site for me for ordering shoes with excellent service and returns policy even though they are US based is Howcool.com! They have got a massive range of shoes and keep you updated by email of your order and if the exchange rate is good it works out very good value for money as well! I have bought quite a lot from them and not had any problems with them at all!

Final question, I've see some comments that heel choice can be dependent on an individual's figure. [...] I'm average male height but slim (5'10" 140lbs).

The only figure-dependent choice I've come accross is that a heavy figure requires a heavy heel. This is the same for men and women.

Other than that it's all about personal taste and experience. When going outside you really should only wear heels you feel comfortable wearing. Also the whole picture should "fit": 5" red pumps don't work when you're shy or with drooping shoulders.

Oh, and never forget to enjoy yourself!

There are also quite a few size 9s around. Clarks, Hush Puppies, Next and others have quite a few styles in size 9.

Faith, if you want to be a little more adventurous. Chris (who I've not seen around here for a while) has had good experiences getting size 9 boots from there.

Evans have bigger sizes too - be careful because their sizing is often generous.

Very! I'm an "Evans 10" and anything from 11-12 anywhere else.

Aside: Just returned from a (fruitless) hunt for some wedges at Evans in the Arndale Centre. Not an odd glance, from customers or staff - I'm just another person looking for shoes.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Hello Dave and welcome to the board from me too.

Raymond sums it up nicely, the look has to be right and you must be comfortable with how you look. You will want your first experience to be a pleasure so you do it again, not something that just drives you back underground.

As you are in Essex, somehow this always conjours up visions of White Stilettos :thumbsup: but I digress, you could pop into Dorren's Fashions as they are expecting male customers. It really depends on what you want to do/wear. If like me and many others, just incorporate heels into normal mens attire, or your looking to be a little more fashion progressive.

AS JMC said, browse around and you will find lots of "food for thought" to get you going. Particularly http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/4950-share_your_best_freestyle_fashion_pictures_here.html#post93652 is a superb resource to give you ideas on what is and is not so good.

From your brief description of yourself I would say that you can go for stiletto heels, but unless you are very confortable in wearing heels for any time and distance, you should start around 3" and with a thicker style. This will go unnoticed - surprisingly. Take your cure from what ladies wear. They usually reserve high & thin heels for going out and lower more stable heels for general use. Not always the case, because there is no hard and fast rule, but most seem to follow this pattern. Works for me.

As you are UK 8-8.5 remember that your foot will be wider than a ladies feet, so you will need to look at UK9 sizes. Next is a retailer who does almost all their range in UK9. If you go to Evans, their Essence brand shoes are usually very wide and so you can find you will go down a size to get a fit. I take UK10 normally, but use Essence size 8!!!!

Watch out for the US shoe sizes because they are 2 down from UK womens sizes and they are 1 down from UK mens. The EU sizing has helped as the length is right, but then it is a width question, so you still end up looking at shoes bigger than your normal male size. Some UK shops equate EU42 to UK9 whilst other equate EU43 to UK9. Yup, its a minefield.

IMHO, to get you going, aquire a pair of cowboy boots with a 3" heel and wear them with jeans and a shirt. The heel is big and blocky and although it will be fully exposed, it will not look wrong. That is the key - for public outings you must have the whole look right. If you feel good about how you look, then you will radiate this.

Hope to see you strolling down the street one day. When you do get out, then do start your own Experiences thread to tell us all about your various outings and so continue to encourage others to take the plunge.

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Shoe size conversion table linked below.

I recommend finding out your size in Euro size and then using that when getting US womens sized shoes. If not you have to go back and forth between UK to US mens and womens and it can cause a mess.

Link

Aside: Just returned from a (fruitless) hunt for some wedges at Evans in the Arndale Centre. Not an odd glance, from customers or staff - I'm just another person looking for shoes.

That's because they have just seen about 2,000 trannies there last weekend...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Great advice all esp Ozzard & Thighboots - not sure about Raymond's 5" red pumps though.....well not at the mo anyway :thumbsup:

I see myself a bit more progressive; it's not that I have a problem with more restrained styles - depends on the situation I guess - but I think the challenge will be in getting 'the look' right...

From what I've seen this board and the members will give me plenty of inspiration.

Thanks

Dave

They are badly copied knockoffs by Steve Madden, the king of all things sly. Isn't he in prison anyway? The originals by Balenciaga were nasty enough. Surely you can find some nicer heels to start your new addiction.

post-9545-133522861616_thumb.jpg

I wasn't planning to buy.... I thought they were a bit different...actually they're ghastly. As I build my collection up I'm not wanting to just stick with plain black pumps/boots...

At least I know who to avoid now.

Thanks.

They are badly copied knockoffs by Steve Madden, the king of all things sly. Isn't he in prison anyway?

The originals by Balenciaga were nasty enough.

Surely you can find some nicer heels to start your new addiction.

• 2 weeks later...