reactions to my footwear

mikeheel

I find that my female friends say "wow" when they see what I wear. They want a close look and talk non stop about shoes for a while. After a few encounters they always seem to loose interest. It is as if they have an initial rush of interest combined with amazement and then I can turn up in quite outrageous high heels and they just accept it...fine, whatever. Some men have the same reaction but others withdraw...they can't quite make it out of the box so they crawl back in. I do not expect people to rave about my shoes and boots, although some do, but I expect to be granted the same freedom that I would wish on anyone else to wear what they like. Do others here find that the initial ...wow...thing is soon past? M

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

I've actually had that happen on a number of occasions. It's the initial curiosity, and then it's back to business as usual. I figure as long as they're not saying or doing anything negative, then that's the best kind.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

well, MY reaction is not really CARING WHO likes my footwear (or does NOT in any one case) it is NONE of their business one way or the other what I wear on MY feet! (now, if they DO like it, fine with me, if they COMPLIMENT me on my footwear so much the BETTER!!:thumbsup: )

I've actually had that happen on a number of occasions. It's the initial curiosity, and then it's back to business as usual. I figure as long as they're not saying or doing anything negative, then that's the best kind.

well, MY reaction is not really CARING WHO likes my footwear (or does NOT in any one case) it is NONE of their business one way or the other what I wear on MY feet! (now, if they DO like it, fine with me, if they COMPLIMENT me on my footwear so much the BETTER!!:thumbsup: )

I agree and definitely identify with both of these observations. I thoroughly enjoy the compliments and smile I get when someone sees me wearing my stiletto high heels in public. I ignore the negative reations and go about my business. This has encouraged me to wear high heels in many other different pubic places.

I have not had any negative reactions. Apathy is the general response but, of course, I'm not flaunting my heels. If you were looking then you would see them. Most people do not look. I think I have noticed the sound of them bring some eyes down, men and women. The women either smile and raise eyebrows or perhaps just raise the eyebrows. I remember on lady who dropped her jaw too, at an airport when I removed my boots to go through xray. I am not so sure what men do when they look down. I don't tend to look them in the eye, just walk on. I really don't like the idea of my shoes being some kind of 'gay come-on'. This perplexes me the most. I am cool with gay people but, being straight, I am aware of the possible confusion. It is a problem. M

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

I guess the main problem is that if you express an effeminate side, then most people take that as being Gay. With regard to peoples expressions to your shoes, then no reaction has got to be the biggest form of acceptance there is. That is creating the norm.

I guess that I may sound like the proverbial "broken record" (what we had before digital discs and cassettes), but one of my best experiences that I have had (and confidence-building) was having to wait 2.5 hours to have my car repaired, when I thought it would take just a half-hour. I went in thinking that hardly anyone would notice the shoes. Well, no one seemed to notice, but I spent better than 2 hours in hh pumps. I had good conversation with other customers, and no one seemed to notice. I like the shoes, but definitely don't want to seem "effeminate".

well trinity, I AM gay, but that is ONLY who I am, as far as acting "fem", a person (in MY mind that is) is only acting like themsleves-gay OR streight, so this "str8t acting" stuff makes no sense to me- they are who they are, one way or the other! This stuff about heels making guys all of sudden more "fem" in THAT sense never makes any logic, since it was MEN who 1st. wore heels, not WOMEN! (but society seems to have somehow forgotten this thruout time-why I have not ANY real clue!:thumbsup:)

I generally dress for my age, weather and professional standing. Which means in the South, a pair of Chinos or designer jeans and a golf shirt or short sleave dress shirt in the spring and summer, long sleeve shirt in the winter. Sport coat for dressing up a bit, add a tie for business meetings. I have chinos and jeans with longer legs to "Mostly" hide my heels when I am out and about. When my non-traditional footwear does get noticed, rarely does it lead to any conversation. The worst reaction is a scowl, and the best is a smile. I see more of the later, because in heels I usually sport a smile of my own.

I have yet to build the courage to go out in public enough to really take notice of reactions. I have been out on numerous occasions, though, but fairly discreetly. I know I've been seen, but besides at a store trying them on, or clubs (where I am not alone), I rarely go where lots of people are....yet. No bad reactions yet. I am hoping that tonight, when going over a friends house, that I won't be nervouse about walking clear into a large apt complex through the main enterance... I'll revisit this thread tomorrow if I do have the guts to..LOL

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Went well. Got to the elevator block in the main entrance, about 6 or 8 people waiting, noone even cared besides a girl (about 19) asking where I got them. I got a few looks from a couple teenage kids with their pants around their knees and hats sideways, but...

Got off the 8th floor, and walked really fast. Then realised it went well!

Thanks for the comments. The outfit...maybe one day soon I'll get a little more comfortable out in public!

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/Big_Carphuna/?action=view&current=heel.jpg

Yeah, that's the same (still have it on now)...just took the pic when I got home as the pics from the poker room were too dark on my camera phone. Thanks...the walk out was uneventful as noone was really around at 4am except a couple arguing near the parking lot...:thumbsup:

Very nice stilettoscot, very bold move, :thumbsup: and even further so by posting a full picture of yourself on the net. That goes way beyond what I am able to do. I feel like I am taking baby steps compared to some of you guys. I've only this year started doing covered wedge boots in public, but I recently acquired a few new pairs of block heel boots (with no wedge), that I am hoping to try streetheeling in the next few weeks. Still not a stiletto pump or sandal, but like i said, only baby steps for me. :smile:

Good story! Those are the kinds of inspiration many of us need here. Not only did the bartender like your boots, her remarks to your wife reflected very well on you and your taste. Thanks for posting that! GWL