Mid-zip boots & full length zips? pro's & con's?

balacau

Maybe someone can provide some answers for this one! Over the last month or so, I've seen quite alot of knee boots on the streets with zips which go up to either the heigh of the calf, or the ankle. Some of these have been the fold-over boot design, but most have not. Does this zip design have any particular benefit over the more conventional full-length zip which most knee boots still feature? Just curious.

I learned the truth a long time ago, being afraid of the dark is what keeps most of us alive...

They're certainly no easier to manufacture, that's a fact! It's kind of necessary in the case of "pirate" style and so that takes the lead in a fsshion industry kind of way and so other boots follow on. I think they look better and they are a compromise between a pull-on boot with the ease of a zip up. The problem is is if you have a fat heel like I do then you could have trouble getting then on.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thanks for the reply ;) Since I posted this, I remember when Kylie Minogue was showing off those infamous silver thigh boots, they didn't zip right up to the tops either, but without having some pictures to hand of those boots I can't quite remember how high they went. One way of getting around the problem of having a full length zip with the current fashion trend of "pirate boots" is to have the zip placed at the back. I've seen this a few times mostly on calf-high and suede boots; I have not observed alot of these however. The Bronx Duran boots had this mid-height zip and I'm still looking to get myself a pair of those if possible. :o

I learned the truth a long time ago, being afraid of the dark is what keeps most of us alive...

I have a couple of pairs of knee-high boots that have the half zipper on the bottom at the ankle and a bit above. You wouldn't be able to get your foot into the foot part of the boot without the lee-way allowed by this style of zipper, and sometimes you can get a much better fit in this style of boot in a smaller, more sleek size. I really prefer a full length zipper myself for ease of entry and exit of the boot. I also have one pair of knee-high boots with the full length zipper up the rear and really love the fit and feel of these on my legs and feet and again gaining entry from the rear can cause you to be fitted in a more sleek fitting boot in a smaller size comfortably. This gives you more ankle and leg support over the other styles. So the different types of zippers and where they are installed does certainly make a big difference in the size, looks, feel, fit, and sleekness of the profile of the different boots. These just are my observations over the years for what it's worth to anyone here. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer full length zips myself,a lot easier to get on and off. and it doesnt really detract from the look,at least for me

I quite agree. All last winter I was looking for some mid-calf boots but was unable to find any at a price I was able to pay. Well just last week-end I found these on sale.

Posted Image At the checkout counter the lady noticed that one was marked a size smaller than the other, so she insisted that I try them on right then & there. Altogether, not bad for $15, right?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Sounds a brilliant buy, $15, fantastic! You'd be hard pushed to get a lower price on that anywhere I reckon. Maybe this deserves a "cheapest pair of nice boots" thread! I saw a wonderful pair of boots which one of my colleages was wearing on tuesday. Knee length brown leather with perhaps a 3 1/2" rounded chunky heel. They had the mid-length zip, and a ring of metal small studs going around the boots perhaps 5-6" from the top of the boot. I wish I could have got the nerve to ask where she got them from, they really were a nice pair of boots indeed.

A long time a go I had a pair of knee high boots that had a zipper up the back and I really thought the style was great. I am giving serious thought to converting a pair of pull on thigh boots to having a back fill length zipper. (Any advice would be appreciated.) I have four styles of thigh boots. Pull on with a 4” heel (no zipper), flat heel with a 7” ankle zipper, 5” heel with an ankle zipper and 5”heel with a full length zipper. The ones I like the most are the 5” heel with the ankle zipper. They seem to have the best fit and are the most comfortable to wear. I normally wear my thigh boots over jeans so keeping the jeans leg tight while I pull on my boots is a problem and I have a solution I have not seen posted before. For the thigh boots with an ankle zipper and a 5” stiletto heel, I normally fold the top of the boot down so it looks like a buccaneer boot then fold my pant cuff around my ankle and pull the boot on so my foot is just starting to go into the shoe. Then without pulling the boot up, I put my foot into the shoe. I put on both boots this far. Then I reach into the zipper opening and pull the pant leg down and the shaft of the boot comes down with it. The trick is to bull the boot shaft up while keeping the pant cuff down around the ankle. This can easily be done by reaching in with the heel on your other foot and holding the cuff down while you pull the boot shaft up. Then zip the zipper and unfold the fop of the boot into place. This sounds much more complicated than it is. I’ve done this so often it is almost automatic.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

A long time a go I had a pair of knee high boots that had a zipper up the back and I really thought the style was great. I am giving serious thought to converting a pair of pull on thigh boots to having a back fill length zipper. (Any advice would be appreciated.)...

The concept of a full length zipper in the back has appeal, especially if you plan to wear jeans over them.;)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I think that if you get a boot with a half-zipper, just be careful getting them on and off. Work your foot into the bottom, and then go easy getting them off - especially if you have a "fat heel". I accidentally tore the leather above mine, and am getting them repaired, but I'm not sure if that was due to thin leather or my own clumsiness. Once they're on though, they really do look great, and don't look all bunched up - or "slouched" as has been said. Definitely great for under-the-jeans boots!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 4 weeks later...

I think that if you get a boot with a half-zipper, just be careful getting them on and off. Work your foot into the bottom, and then go easy getting them off - especially if you have a "fat heel". I accidentally tore the leather above mine, and am getting them repaired, but I'm not sure if that was due to thin leather or my own clumsiness. Once they're on though, they really do look great, and don't look all bunched up - or "slouched" as has been said.

Definitely great for under-the-jeans boots!

On the other foot, one of the main problems with a full-lenght zipper is getting something (stocking, pants, hair, skin) hung in the zip. Still, I prefer the full-lenght zipper.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why, but I don't much like partial length zips I prefer full length or none at all. It's an aesthetic thing on some level but I can't explain it. Back zips on the other hand are sexy. I think it's partly because the zip is placed where there would be a seam anyway so the boot looks smoother and partly because it reminds me of seamed stockings. I have one pair of back zipped knee boots from Faith, and would love another pair. Chris

I too like full length zips as they are easier to get on over pants or just easier to get on period. I see no advantage of a mid zipper. My wife bought a pair of gray mid zip suade boots last fall and I have to admit that they are very sexy on her but even if they had full zipper I don't think it would make any difference. They would still look great.

real men wear heels

• 2 weeks later...

Mids or fulls, either way. The good thing about the mid-zips is that you don't have to worry about the zipper falling down - the boot stays on. The only pair of rear-zips I've worn went to the bottom of the heel and pressed against my heel - not very comfortable.