Time to regroup

JSpikeheels

..well the day I knew would come has come... ,,,yesterday I went in to one of my customers..some big deal self-important manager from one of their other branches was in there...to make a long story short he called my company and complained about my choice of footwear... ..this afternoon all we drivers got a memo: "no shoes with heels exceeding one inch" due to "an incident that happened yesterday" -------------------------------------- ..maybe the manager saw me catch my heel-tip on the metal steps leading up to the dock level and saw me nearly take a fall..can't say I blame him for doing what he did..or my contractor/employer for doing what he did...as I said, I knew I was just one "incident" or one "anal individual" away from this... ...so while I am not pleased I have to consider that I could have fallen badly (but did not..this time) and might have fractured something..how would I explain that I caused the whole thing by wearing very high heels...and what might be out there waiting to happen in the coming weeks or months if this "wake-up call" had not come when it has... ..so my plan is to wear the heels at every opportunity when I don't "fall under"-definitely no pun intended here-the conditions of the contract/memo but I'll keep a pair with me and looking for opportunities to get "off the clock" whenever I can... ...I worked so hard to build up the confidence and measured indifference to the perceptions of others around me that this is the part that really pizzez me off...but the show will go on..so stick close as I check in...everyone will be at this point sooner or later and we can all learn from the experiences I am going through now... regards Jim JSpikeheels

..well the day I knew would come has come...

,,,yesterday I went in to one of my customers..some big deal self-important manager from one of their other branches was in there...to make a long story short he called my company and complained about my choice of footwear...

..this afternoon all we drivers got a memo: "no shoes with heels exceeding one inch" due to "an incident that happened yesterday"

--------------------------------------

..maybe the manager saw me catch my heel-tip on the metal steps leading up to the dock level and saw me nearly take a fall..can't say I blame him for doing what he did..or my contractor/employer for doing what he did...as I said, I knew I was just one "incident" or one "anal individual" away from this...

...so while I am not pleased I have to consider that I could have fallen badly (but did not..this time) and might have fractured something..how would I explain that I caused the whole thing by wearing very high heels...and what might be out there waiting to happen in the coming weeks or months if this "wake-up call" had not come when it has...

..so my plan is to wear the heels at every opportunity when I don't "fall under"-definitely no pun intended here-the conditions of the contract/memo but I'll keep a pair with me and looking for opportunities to get "off the clock" whenever I can...

...I worked so hard to build up the confidence and measured indifference to the perceptions of others around me that this is the part that really pizzez me off...but the show will go on..so stick close as I check in...everyone will be at this point sooner or later and we can all learn from the experiences I am going through now...

regards

Jim

JSpikeheels

Ancient proverb: Discretion is the better part of valor.:fine::D In the work environment there are safety regulations :wink: and even insurance regs that must be observed. One would be foolish to jeporadize his job over shoes.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Ancient proverb: Discretion is the better part of valor.:fine::D In the work environment there are safety regulations :wink: and even insurance regs that must be observed. One would be foolish to jeporadize his job over shoes.

..all practical arguments aside-and I agree with every one of them- it's the loss of something hard-won and dearly valued that saddens and frustrates me the most...freedom of self-expression...

Jim

JSpikeheels

Discretion is really the better part of valor. However, I would guess a lot would depend upon how badly a person wanted to keep this particular job. However, I wouldn't worry a tad about it. I would just go ahead and wear my boots like the incident never happened. (If the same memo about wearing high heels doesn't also apply to female employees, there is a possible "sexual discrimination" case here, if you reallly want to get shi--y about it.)

..all practical arguments aside-and I agree with every one of them- it's the loss of something hard-won and dearly valued that saddens and frustrates me the most...freedom of self-expression...

Jim

JSpikeheels

Jim

Freedom of self expression is fine, as long as you do not put your own safety at risk, which is obviously the primary issue here. As a delivery guy, the very nature of your job means you will constantly be at risk of tripping up, or doing yourself some damage if you are wearing anything that does not give you a "stable footing" while making your deliveries does it not?

You use a trolley to carry heavy items so you do not injure your back, you have a seat belt in your vehicle in case your in an accident, so why should safer footwear be any different?

Plus, what would happen if a heavy item fell on your foot?

I think you really should put your own personal safety first, before any fashion choices, as I have never seen any delivery person wearing heels at all, male or female, simply because of the nature of the job.

Wow that sux. Does it also apply to women who work their?

Didn't he already say "All we drivers" which would obviously incorporate male and female employees. This is not a gender issue, its simply a safety one, especially if a customer has seen him almost breaking his neck on their premises.

The same would be true if it was a woman doing the same...

However, I wouldn't worry a tad about it. I would just go ahead and wear my boots like the incident never happened.

(If the same memo about wearing high heels doesn't also apply to female employees, there is a possible "sexual discrimination" case here, if you reallly want to get shi--y about it.)

Its not about sexual discrimination, and law suits. Why you brought that up when he already said the memo was "to all drivers" is a mystery, its just plain common sense and safety :wink:

This of course would only serve to cause more problems than its worth, and if he does decide to put his fashion choice before his own safety and his companies instructions then he may find himself in hot water pretty quickly.

(Or out of a job / in hospital without insurance to cover it)

If you ignored it, then broke your neck while carrying out your job after being warned not to wear "high" heels, would you be surprised if they sacked you for not following safety instructions?

Even if they didnt sack you, you may find medical insurance will not pay simply because it could have been avoided and you were in breach of your employers instructions.

Sure it sucks, but like any company, they have to put safety first.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Jim

Didn't he already say "All we drivers" which would obviously incorporate male and female employees. This is not a gender issue, its simply a safety one, especially if a customer has seen him almost breaking his neck on their premises.

The same would be true if it was a woman doing the same...

Very very good point. Only problem with pointing thought out to me was that I was just asking out of pure curiousity. Nothing more nothing less. And I had just merly glanced to see the point like I normaly do with long post so I didn't see the "all we drivers thing." So I didn't know.

It's all good. ~Arron.

Very good point. Only problem with pointing thought out to me was that I was just asking out of pure curiousity. Nothing more nothing less. And I had just merly glanced to see the point like I normaly do with long post so I didn't see the "all we drivers thing." So I didn't know.

Hey mate

No offence meant by that, I just have this habit where the longer the post is, the more carefully I need to read it so I dont miss anything, or mis-interpret things people are saying. Sorry mate, didnt mean it in a bad way :wink:

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Hey mate

No offence meant by that, I just have this habit where the longer the post is, the more carefully I need to read it so I dont miss anything, or mis-interpret things people are saying. Sorry mate, didnt mean it in a bad way :wink:

Thats cool. I didn't mean any offence either. Often when I read I get lazzy and just end up glanceing the whole thing over so often I miss points. And I end up asking a lot of questions (some of them stupid.) just to clearify things. Something I should probaly stop doing. Posted Image But anywho I don't really have a problem when a company decides to impose a dress code, espacilly if it is done for the wrtie reasons such as safety. Besides we get to wear what we want when work is over. At least its not like my job where they try to impose things on your life outside of work too.

It's all good. ~Arron.

At the risk of sounding a bit crass, it really gets down to the "golden rule". The guy with the gold (the one who's paying your salary) get to make the rule! That's rule number one. Rule number 2 is that the boss is always right! Rule number 3 is that in the event of controversy, disagreements, or objections please refer to rules one and two.:wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

..this whole idea got started back around this thread when I mentioned that this started out as a "controlled experiment"

http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/tvs_cds_tss/5592-one_thing_leads_another.html?highlight=JSpikeheels#post115004

those of you who recall how this whole experiment unfolded will remember I actually "asked permission" at each of my customers when I wanted to give it a try and everyone was encouraging and supportive...and as long as I kept the same customer-set I expected to continue my little adventure with them...

...my problem turned out to be a senior manager from the home office of one of my customers who happened to see me at the wrong time...I stumbled on a set of dock steps but I did not fall-just gripped the rail and straight-armed/recovered my balance...found out today that he had just "fired" two people who had worked there for "performance issues" so he was no doubt "feeling froggy and looking to leap"

-------------------------

...bottom line from all this:

our courier company issued this memo" all drivers are required to wear protective footwear-no open toe shoes- not to exceed one inch in height"

..so I was not reprimanded or "spoken-to"...s'matter of fact my folks all were well aware of the boots and how high they are..so no big deal except how I am going to handle the "doing with less..."

...much more on that in a coming reply...

Jim

JSpikeheels

All comments above are right on! I don't believe this is a problem of fashion, gender, or something like it... One often thinks the boss is the one that gets to make rules just for the heck. In this case, if something happens ... can mean a lot for both parties (Boss paying medical, work safety fines, etc) and employee (risk of not getting medical covered, losing job, not-an-easy-to-win lawsuit, etc). Our common sense is the best thing to rely upon when deciding when/where/how to heel ... like kneehighs said "there is a time and shoe for every occasion" anyway ... just my personal 2c

Perhaps you might get your "friends" at these businesses to give you a call whenever they think you appearing in heels might be a problem. Otherwise, I guess it would be the easiest just to comply with the memo. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

..thanks to everyone who has commented and others are encouraged to add to this thread as well... ...I want to let you all know I have made a "few" changes in my daily routine... I wear the same choices I was making before this happened-out the door, any personal stops along the way to my first customer right up to his place of business... ..off come the heels-on goes "Clark Kent"-mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper"( the Reeboks)-and my "by their book" day begins... if I haven't made plans to stop along the way at a WalMart or something-"Clark Kent" stays on until I drop the last delivery of my afternoon..then I change back into "Superman" once again and go looking for somewhere to "leap tall buildings at a single bound" ... ------------------------ couple of things about this worth mentioning: 1) keeps the spikeheel experience fresh-losing it each morning (to "job requirements" and rediscovering it each afternoon is turning out to be quite a nice daily "downer/upper"...it renews my satisfaction with this whole adventure 2) keeps an edge on my relations with my customers-that is not to say I am approaching them with any malice or resentment but there are situations for which we can charge extra that I was often happy to "overlook" or "forgive"...let me just say that "by the book" can cut both ways... ...got to close this for now..Donna and I are going out to dinner in identical colored outfits..ref polo-style shirts, Wrangler jeans and Lady Wranglers, respectively, and each in our identical-style FOH 3 1/2 inch stiletto-spike heels... Cheers Jim JSpikeheels JSpikeheels

• 1 month later...

as I have mentioned over and over again the whole lead-up to the sense of fashion freedom that encouraged my freestyling was a carefully constructed set of permissions and justification/perceived approvals in every aspect of my personal and professional life.....and, should anything disrupt those approval-conditions I would have to regroup and reevaluate the complete psychological dynamic that led me up to the "point-of action" before... ...for reasons I won't go into here I have changed contractors and will begin driving for a different company in a few days...I have no definite evidence that wearing a highheel had anything to do with the need for this sudden change but it does mean that I cannot discount the possibility that someone saw something he or she did not like and which led to a phone call which led to this change... ...so I now have to go back and define the guidelines for when and where not to wear heels-of course, I have to allow for the possibility that heels were part of the problem and that means no heels at all during business contacts...and what's left will have to be approached with caution... ---------------------------------- ...all along I have sensed that there might be risks associated with my behavior and I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but to be truthful the rush of pleasure like an addict on endorphins seemed to be worth the risk of -should I say "discovery"... ...the boots and heels are back in their boxes for the time being while I reassemble each part of my "expectation-sets"...where are they permissible without fallout and where ...not... ...as I said no one came right out and identified highheels as the cause of their "concern" but people who complain and then won't give a reason often know their motives are self-centered but a contractor-as in the company I was driving for- could care less the reasons-only that "we received a complaint and we think it's time for a change" ..don't feel sorry for me- the fact that specific issues never came up allowed me to present myself in the fullness of my job-skills without having to go into specific details why I left the last place I "worked"..but the lessons taught in this regrettable experience will cetainly not be soon forgotten... I'll still be around and I'll be back in high heels soon-and you'll all be among the first to hear..you're an extended family to me..so don't forget it!!! Jim JSpikeheels

That's too bad, Jim. Sorry it came to that. However, the possibility was always there. it's also to bad you aren't able to pinpoint the exact reason for the complaint. They, you'd have a solid platform for a discrimination lawsuit. But, like you said, just have to roll with the deck and manage to remain upright.