Boots and Skirts in Public

Thighbootguy

A couple of days ago there was a big sale at the Goodwill :winkiss: on lady’s knit tops. I’m normally not interested in these because I have enough turtlenecks but, I thought I would look anyway. I spotted a red velour turtleneck with a lot of extra material in the neck so it really bunches up and my first thought was “that would look good with my red suede skirt”. Previously that would have never occurred to me. I had always reacted to lady’s clothing as, that would be fun to wear, or I can wear that as normal attire, The idea that would look good with some other lady’s component was a new way of thinking. The next day I wanted to see if I was right so I tried on the skirt and turtleneck and checked it out in a mirror and thought, wow this really looks nice. I decided to give it a try out and about so I went to work wearing normal work clothes but with white hose and black knee boots worn under my slacks. After work I changed to the red suede leather 20” skirt, and the red velour top. Together with the white hose and black boots, I had a nice looking outfit. This was the day after the elections in the USA and I thought about wearing blue boots but passed on the idea. I stopped in Pet’s Mart to get some cat food. The folks in this store had seen me before so they weren’t too surprised. Normally I try to get a female clerk but there weren’t any on duty but the guy I got didn’t seem to be concerned. I have to have a clerk help me because I buy food in case quantities. The whole shopping experience was uneventful. In the parking lot I did get a hard look from a lady driving by, but no one else seemed to care. Next I went to Sam’s. Again, as I was walking in, I got a hard look from a young woman walking by on the way to her car. Shopping was uneventful. I do think more folks noticed but no one reacted negatively or said a word. At the register, I got a clerk that I often chat with and her reaction was positive. While she was ringing my stuff up I said, “Ok, the usual question, hod does this look, what would you do differently?” “I like it.” Then she noticed I had on knee boots, “Oh, those are new.” “Yeah, I thought I’d try them. Which do you like better these or the tall ones?” “I think I like the tall ones, in fact I’m jealous that I can’t wear them. I couldn’t walk in them.” “It’s all a matter of practice.” “Yeah, I guess I’ll have to do that.” We bid each other a good evening. I think the outfit worked but I think it would be better with my tall boots. I’m going to try that tonight.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Tonight was another red night. I stopped at the Goodwill after work and bought a black leather jacket. I have been wanting one for a long long time but just never had the opportunity to get one until tonight. The jacket is a 1X Ashley Stewart and it fits wonderfully especially for $15. I went shopping wearing a red velour turtleneck, a red suede leather skirt, black hose, black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos and my new black leather jacket. Basically red and black... a lot of red but simple colors. My first stop was a gas station. It was a pay at the pump station but it was busy. I got out and filled the tank and stayed out with the pump while the tank filled. My next stop was Bigg’s. I walked in and a few heads turned but fewer than I expected. The first thing I noticed was that the floors were really slick. I had a heel kick out three times before I figured out I was walking too fast. I walked to the back of the store for my stuff but couldn’t find one item. I walked back to the front of the store to look further and finally had to ask a clerk. The clerk took a guess and we walked all the way to the back of the store again. I was having problems keeping up with the guy on the slick floor. I wound up changing my walking style so that rather than walking heel down first, I had to walk so my foot hit flat. This gave me a lot more stability and I was able to keep up with the clerk. When we got to the back of the store, the item wasn’t where he thought it was, so he called his manager to get the location and we started walking to the front of the store again. I thanked him for his help and headed to the checkout. The clerk (young lady) was polite and unruffled. Next I went to Pet’s Mart. The same male clerk was there and started waiting on me and went to look for the cat food I wanted. The female manager was there and has seen me many times so I asked her if the outfit was too much. She wasn’t too sure how to respond but offered that it was a lot of red. “Not too many guys will wear this.” “Yeah, but that’s their problem.” About this time the clerk came back empty handed and the manager offered to see if she could find the food. We walked back to the store room, I stayed in the store while she went in to look for my food. She came out with two cases. I thanked her for finding it then asked her, “Does this work?” and indicated what I was wearing. This time she said, “Yeah, it looks nice. When I’m not working here I’m always wearing my black boots.” She rang up my stuff and we talked about cats, then bid each other a good evening. At Sam’s, shopping was uneventful. I wandered around a bit and did get one look from a lady who was wearing 4” pumps. The first thing she saw were my heels then followed them up and was surprised when she got to the top. JeffB, in another thread, offered that thigh boots gave him a feeling of empowerment. That is what the black leather jacket did for me. I had a great time. Some time ago I posted a question in the gals section (back when we could do that) about what it was like for gals to wear thigh boots in public. I think wearing this outfit has finally started to answer that question for me. I feel embolden (verb - to inspire with courage). Going out gives me a feeling of adventure, and the excitement of exploring the unknown (but not sexual excitement) which is one of the reasons I’m exhausted when I come back in. I’m also feeling comfortable and I realize that this must make my complacency warning flags go into overtime. :winkiss:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

TBG: Kudos to you on yet another remarkable outing. Red and black, eh? I'm sure it must've been an absolutely killer outfit. I continue to be flat out amazed, and a little envious that you go here and there in skirts and thigh boots with such boldness, and style too! Regarding the problem of walking on slick floors, I walk slowly and take small steps, no lengthy or fast striding which can almost certainly result in embarrassment. At the same time, you have to look casual too, like you've done this a million times before. Can't afford to give the impression to the world at large that you don't have the knack of walking in heels, even if you do. I admire you for the adventures you've had, the boldness you display, not just in wearing skirts and boots in public, but asking others for their opinions about what you wear. That's not my bag as I would prefer to keep a low profile (Admittedly an oxymoron when wearing thigh boots! Heh!) and let conversations, if any, come to me instead. But at the same time, you keep your head on your shoulders and are aware of the "problem" of complacency as well. Whether you accept the title or not, you've become quite a pioneer when it comes to displaying your own brand of fashion freedom. Every now and then, especially after reading your adventures, I think about an outing in a skirt and boots, just to see what it's like, I'm sure the excitement factor would be off the charts! Maybe one day.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 1 month later...

I haven’t been out in a skirt lately so I thought I would have another go at it. I needed to do some shopping this afternoon so I went out in a black turtleneck, black leather jacket, black knee boots and a long black leather skirt. I know, it’s a lot of black especially for someone that is not in to the goth look, but the outfit did work well. I went to my usual haunts: Walgreen’s, Pets Mart, and Sam’s. I also stopped for gas. I really feel comfortable dressed this way and it must show since I got no second looks and other shoppers treated me like just another shopper. I even had a lady in Sam’s stop me and ask where I had found the smoked sausage I had in my cart. Most of the time, if someone stops me, it’s to comment about my boots or how I’m dressed. I saw her later and asked her if she had found the sausage, and got a big thank you in return. Going out now is not the way it used to be. Previously, I was very nervous about getting out of the car and concerned about others reactions. Now, I don’t think twice about going where I want to go wearing a skirt and boots. I’m still winning the ongoing fight against complacency though. Going out now is not the adrenalin rush it used to be and sometimes I miss that but now I can just enjoy myself wearing what I want. The old adage, “be careful of what you wish for” is appropriate. I ‘ve always wished I could wear thigh boots and later wear skirts, partially because it was an exciting adventure and partially because I liked the look. Now that I have my wish, it’s not as exciting as it used to be. Let me see if I can be clearer… For a male or a female, wearing a leather skirt is a bold statement as is wearing thigh boots. Making that bold statement is still exciting but wearing the clothes is not. Oh well, I’m still having fun. :w00t2:

… For a male or a female, wearing a leather skirt is a bold statement as is wearing thigh boots.

Thighbootguy, I would have to take issue with that! Particularly for women, the leather skirt is VERY mainstream unlike 20 years ago. You see many women in the street (NY metro area) but almost none in thigh high boots. And I particularly have worn black leather flat thigh boots in my neighborhood (cold weather of course) but the skirt is another issue. But I think if I had my druthers, I would wear a leather skirt and heels before say a skirt and thighboots.

Voila!

It's all about the heel!

Bootking –

There may be several explanations for out differing views:

• You are in the NY metro area and I’m in the Cincinnati area where the only person I have ever seen in a leather skirt is me.
  • It may be that there are more women (and men) willing to make the leather skirt statement today than there were 20 years ago.
  • Or, it may be that I’ve lead a sheltered life. :w00t2:

Regardless, I still think it’s a bold statement, even if it is more commonplace than it used to be, and I still enjoy making it.

Bootking –

I’m in the Cincinnati area where the only person I have ever seen in a leather skirt is me.

Or, it may be that I’ve lead a sheltered life. :w00t2:

OMG Thighbootguy! I know I'll never move there! No wonder I have an affinity for the eastern seaboard metro areas and London! Leather skirts are not common but by no means unusual, even on older women (longer length).

I'm going to a TG/TV meeting tonight and was debating whether to wear leather pants and boots or a leather skirt and boots. I'll let you know what I decide later.

It's all about the heel!

Regarding women...or men wearing leather skirts, I'm of the opinion that it's all about mindset. To some, wearing leather is still very much a bold and dramatic fashion statement while to others, it's just clothing, nothing more. In large metropolitan areas like New York where just about anything and everything goes, I have no doubt a man could wear a leather skirt of just about any length and pretty much go ignored, but in the Midwest, it would certainly be looked upon as unique. Again, it all depends on where you happen to live as every situation is different. TBG: From the comments you made, it sounds to me like you've fully adjusted to what I consider the "commoness" of wearing skirts and heels in public, that it's become as normal as wearing jeans and natural as breathing. While the thrill might be gone, it means you've evolved beyond the purely visceral emotions you once felt from wearing such outfits. However, you're right not to fall prey to complacency, it's always good to keep your guard up, even when you're enjoying yourself on an outing!

JeffB -

What a great term “purely visceral emotions”, I gotta remember that one.

It has occurred to me that there may be another reason that boots and skirts aren’t as exciting as they used to be... <--- Check age. I’m starting to feel its effects more and more.

JeffB -

What a great term “purely visceral emotions”, I gotta remember that one.

Every now and then, I come up with something pithy. Heh!

It has occurred to me that there may be another reason that boots and skirts aren’t as exciting as they used to be... <--- Check age. I’m starting to feel its effects more and more.

Don't sweat it! As that old saying goes, you're only as old as you feel!

• 2 weeks later...

I left work a couple of hours early this afternoon which gave me time to run around to some of my favorite stops. I decided to push a little further so I went shopping for 3 hours wearing a black knee length dress, hose, black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos, and a black leather jacket. Kind of hard to mess up basic black. A little jewelry might have been a nice touch but that didn’t happen. First I stopped at Pets Mart for some cat food. The staff on duty had never seen me before but were tolerant because I was a customer. Next I stopped at Sam’s and picked out the items I wanted then got in a checkout line of a clerk I knew. I asked her if the outfit worked and she said, “Love it.” I asked lady at the exit, who I also knew, if it worked and she said, “Absolutely, looks great.” I was starting to feel a little more at ease with this look and I headed to new Goodwill (thrift store) that I had visited for the first time last week. I walked in and looked through the skirts and slacks and found some linings that were a good buy but unpriced. I walked the length of the store to ask about the price and the sales clerk seemed delighted to answer my questions. I walked back and picked out a few things then back to the front again to the register. All this time a store full of people were watching me go back and forth. After a minute the seemed to get used to the idea. At the register I managed to get the same clerk I had the first time I was in. She also said the outfit looked great then went on about how she didn’t like people who discriminated against people who dressed as they liked. I still had some time so I headed for my favorite thrift emporium and spent some time wandering around. Two young girls must have thought I was the silliest thing they had ever seen. They didn’t laugh but both made a point of walking by and saying “Hi”, I think it was just a game of one upmanship between them. Lastly I stopped in Payless, looking for an end of year bargain, but the ankle boots I was interested in were not in stock in my size. I’m not sure why, but when I got home I was exhausted. I’m sure I would not have been had I not been wearing a dress and thigh boots. For me, being out and dressed like that puts me on alert for everything. It is not a relaxing experience, rather it is an exhilarating one and I love doing it. :thumbsup:

TBG: Good heavens, man! Wearing a dress? A DRESS! What on earth brought that on? I'm positively flabbergasted! I must say I'm highly impressed with your boldness, my friend! To quote Emeril Lagasse, you certainly kicked things up a notch! As someone who's only just started wearing skirts in public, you're lights years ahead of me when it comes to nerve. But hey, as long as you enjoyed your outing, that's the important thing.

I went shopping for cat food and people food tonight after work. I went out wearing a medium green turtleneck, hose, a black leather jacket, a black leather knee length skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I was a little concerned it was a little too much black leather but I enjoyed the look.

I stopped in PetsMart and the clerk knew what I wanted without me having to ask. If you go shopping in thigh boots, the clerks remember you. It was a totally uneventful shopping experience.

Next I headed to Sam’s for a few items. I saw one of my favorite register clerks working at the electronics counter and I went over and chatted for a while. I finally asked her what she thought of tonight outfit and she said she really liked it.

I asked if it was too much black, and she said it was fine and wouldn’t change a thing.

The rest of the time was, again, uneventful.

The choice of the leather skirt or the black dress is based on what I’m doing before I go out. Most of the time, like tonight, I’m coming from work and I change from short boots and slacks to a skirt and thigh boots in the car. I will also share that I enjoy the feeling of the leather skirt more then the dress but the attention getting power of both are about equal.

Another fun outing.

JeffB-

Bootking-

Yeah I was pushing a bit but nothing like I did in this video from a year ago:

Thighbootguy Poaches an Egg

I’m thinking of pairing that outfit up with the black leather jacket, and yes, I know I misspelled red.

:thumbsup:

JeffB-

Bootking-

Yeah I was pushing a bit but nothing like I did in this video from a year ago:

Thighbootguy Poaches an Egg

I’m thinking of pairing that outfit up with the black leather jacket, and yes, I know I misspelled red.:thumbsup:

TBG, I take it all back - you already crossed the border last year; remarkable!!

It's all about the heel!

I went shopping at Sam’s and WallMart this morning wearing a black turtleneck, black leather jacket black leather knee length skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I know, that’s kind of a lot of black leather but I like the look.

At WallMart I parked a nice long walk from the entrance to the store so the folks coming and going in the parking lot got to get an eyeful. No one seemed upset, more curious than anything else. In the store, no one seemed to bat an eye. This was different from the Christmas eve shopping trip where everyone managed a second glance.

At Sam’s, No one seemed to even notice, except one of the clerks I knew who called out, “Hey man, how’s it going?” We chatted a bit and wished each other a happy new year. At the register, I asked the clerk if what I was wearing was pushing it too far and she replied, ”Not at all, go for it.”

It is kind of nice going to places where the staff has seen you before and treats you a little better than they do most of the other customers.

JeffB-

I agree with your comment, “Yeah, but you didn't wear that dress in public. To me, that makes all the difference.” and I’m not taking that as a challenge but the seed has been planted. I also saw a red leather jacket that would look great with the dress and passed it up because I never thought I would wear it in public. I have gone out in that dress but it was just in the neighborhood and late at night with no one around so that doesn’t count as “in public” either.

I went shopping at Sam’s and WallMart this morning wearing a black turtleneck, black leather jacket black leather knee length skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I know, that’s kind of a lot of black leather but I like the look.

Well, that sounds sharp to me. Wearing black from head to toe is a really dynamic look, and it sounds like you put together a sensational outfit. Bravo to you, my friend!

JeffB-

I agree with your comment, “Yeah, but you didn't wear that dress in public. To me, that makes all the difference.” and I’m not taking that as a challenge but the seed has been planted. I also saw a red leather jacket that would look great with the dress and passed it up because I never thought I would wear it in public. I have gone out in that dress but it was just in the neighborhood and late at night with no one around so that doesn’t count as “in public” either.

Then I stand corrected. Heh! Meanwhile, planting seeds can work both ways. Having just begun wearing skirts in public with my heels, and enjoying the experience immensely, I have no doubt that a dress will be the next step down the road for me. When will it happen? I don't know, but I'm not ruling it out. I'm just going to let this happen in its own good time.

I didn’t feel like I was done for the day so I headed over to the Art Museum. It has been several months since I had been to the museum and this was the first time I had gone there wearing a leather skirt. The last time was a denim skort, which almost counts as a skirt. This time I wore a my black turtleneck, black leather jacket, black leather knee length skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The temperature outside was 23F (-5C) so the leather outfit was comfortable. The guards greeted me like nothing was different and so did the rest of the staff. They didn’t seem surprised that I was wearing a leather skirt. I guess after seeing me in thigh boots for the past couple of years they kind of expected it. I headed for a gallery and sketched for a while. While I was sitting there sketching, it did occur to me that I was wearing a lot of leather. After that I took my jacket off and wandered around the museum having a great time looking at all the stuff. I also stopped at a Payless and bought a pair of black patent pumps with a 3.5” heel. The $9 sail price was too good to pass up. Again, after a couple hours out in boots and a skirt I’m exhausted. I’m still trying to figure out exactly why this is such an energy sapping adventure. Might be age <--, or it might be the stress of being dressed this differently out in public. Whatever, I still had a great time. :thumbsup:

TBG:-) Your all leather outfit sounds great. I can picture that. Age---Naw, not us TBG. Now stress could be the real culprit here. Stress can creep upon you without you realizing it at times. Great outing overall. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

On the way home last night before going to the http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/1743-thigh_boots_public-162.html#post195468'>concert I stopped in Sam’s wearing a black leather jacket, black turtleneck, black above the knee leather skirt, and black leather tall thigh boots with 5” stilettos. Close to the same outfit I wore the day before but with a longer skirt rather than the 13” denim one.

As luck would have it I got the same register clerk I had http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/guys/1743-thigh_boots_public-161.html#post194917'>the day before. I had ask her for an opinion the past two visits so I went for a third, “I hadn’t realized how short that other skirt was. How’s this look?”

“Yeah, it must have been cold.”

“This one is a little longer.”

“That looks good. I like that one on you.”

Considering that last statement came from a girl who two days ago laughed at what I was wearing, demonstrated that once people get used to seeing a guy wearing non traditional clothing (skirts, boots,…) they can interact to that person in a normal manner. Its all in getting past what you have been taught is normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I picked up a green suede leather skirt. The skirt is constructed form 9” x 18” leather panels that are joined by a wide yarn laced joint and there as a 3” knotted fringe at the hem. The shirt falls about 6” below my knee. I bought the skirt just because it was a leather skirt but after wearing it I’m starting to appreciate the look and the length (the temperature may have something to do with that). I went on an after work shopping trip wearing that skirt, a green turtleneck, black leather jacket, and black leather pull on thigh boots with 4” stilettos. The reaction I got to the look was a little more than the boots and jeans look but nothing adverse. Most folks just gave a second look, I think, to be sure of what they were seeing. No one said a thing, positive or negative. I’ll be shopping again after work tonight and I will be wearing a similar outfit. I am still surprised at how I can feel comfortable dressing this way. :thumbsup:

TBG: Green suede, huh? Well, that certainly came out of left field. I don't know if I'd try wearing green as I'm more about darker colors, perhaps I'd go for a darker shade of green. That would work for me. Meanwhile, sounds like your comfort level while on outings in a skirt has increased. Well, more power to you!

• 1 month later...

I am just back from Saturday morning shopping. I has been a long time since I went out in a skirt so I decided to have at it again (something else to blame JeffB for :silly:). I pulled on my thigh boots 5” stilettos and a long (almost ankle length) black leather skirt, a white blouse over a black camisole, and a black leather jacket. It turned out to be a lot of black leather, more than was stylish, but it sure felt good. First stop was at a Sam’s I rarely frequent. The parking lot was packed so I had a nice walk into the store. This is a long skirt with three snaps on the back slit. The shirt is a straight line design that started as a size 10 and I let the waist out so it would fit my size 14 stomach but from the hips down it is still a size 10. With all three snaps closed, it is almost a hobble skirt. My stride is restricted to just being able to place one foot in front of the other. This can be a lot of fun and great training for learning how to reduce my stride, but after a few minutes the bottom snap opened and that increased my stride about 8” which felt much better. In Sam’s I took my time gathering my stuff and had to ask the butcher if an item was in stock. He said it wasn’t and went back to work. (The last time I asked the butcher in this store about something, he took one look at me and laughed in my face). Some folks seemed to notice how I was dressed and went on their way, others really didn’t notice. No one said a thing or reacted negatively. There is a Payless in the same shopping area so I stopped in but didn’t see anything that interested me. I also realized that this was not the most convenient outfit to be wearing if I was going to sit down and try on shoes. Next I headed to WallMart and again the parking lot was packed. I resnapped the slit on my skirt and started slowly walking into the store. The last two times I have been in this store folks seemed to take a lot of notice but this time, no one seemed to notice at all. I went through the pharmacy and got what I was after then headed to the shoe department. This is a WallMart super store so going to another department is a long walk. I did avoid a couple of guys who’s knuckles were dragging the ground but other then that I was just another customer. The last stop was a GoodWill and again the parking lot was packed so I had another long walk. I had resnapped the slit one more time but finally gave up and let the bottom snap open. I spent a lot of time wandering around in the store and again not a peep from anyone. I mentioned I was wearing a camisole. This is another of the garments the ladies have kept secret. Mine is a stretch cotton with a sport bra (no cups) built into the top. Not only does this garment look better than a male undershirt, but it feels great to wear. I have been wearing one for several months and really love it. I recommend giving one a try. :winkiss:

Oh, sure! Blame me for your weaknesses! Next thing, you'll be blaming me for the crappy economy too! HA! Sounds like you had quite an interesting outing. Just one question, why an ankle length skirt? Given your past outings, I thought you'd opt for something above the knee as you often do. Still, your outfit was very daring, more dating than I'd opt for myself unless I was going to a party or something similar. I for one am amazed you didn't turn much in the way of heads during your adventure. I guess the world at large has acclimated itself to your attire and no longer considers it worthy of second glances or anything like that. Bravo to you, my friend!

“Why an ankle length skirt?” Asking why I do anything is an interesting question that I have been struggling to answer for some time now. The reasons for that particular skirt is several fold: 1. The temperature was in the 30s so a long skirt seemed sensible. 2. The skirt is buttery soft lambskin and feels great, so the concept of “the more the better” comes into play. 3. I had to repair the alteration to the waistband so I had the skirt out and had been wearing it around the house. 4. The closed slit really is good discipline in developing a more graceful walk in heels. It is just a really enjoyable garment to wear. I was surprised at the lack of head turning I observed. Either people really are not tolerant enough to not care, or the look was too over the top to bother with, or my sensitivity to heads turned is so dulled I just didn’t see any. :winkiss:

I stopped at the pet food store the other evening. I went in wearing a dark turtleneck, knee length black leather skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The staff didn’t even bat an eye.

I kind of liked the look of the outfit so I created another Thighbootguy video wearing exactly what I wore at the pet food store:

Thighbootguy loads the Dishwasher

Yeah I know, I really need better inspiration for material. Suggestions welcome.

:winkiss: