Saint Louis Post-Dispatch article on male street heeler

kneehighs

I wonder if Al has discovered hhplace?

Link is here, from ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH 09/19/2005

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifestyle/stories.nsf/everyday/story/4BB20B0B0935AF7C8625707D00326472?OpenDocument

It's hard to miss the guy with flowing white hair, wearing heels

Albert Bussen

Al Bussen prepares to make a purchase at Straub's on Kingshighway. He wears women's shoes wherever he goes.

Posted Image

(Gabriel Tait/P-D)

When it comes to putting your best foot forward, Albert Bussen Jr. is in a class by himself.

His feet are covered in stylish women's shoes. Mules, pumps, high-heels. You name it, Bussen wears it. He estimates that he has at least 20 pairs of women's shoes.

"My favorites are probably a $600 pair of Italian boots that zip up the back and have five-inch heels," Bussen said.

"Women always ask me if I can walk in them?"

Advertisement

"I tell them, 'Hell, I can dance in them.' "

Bussen, 69, is a retired audio engineer who lives in midtown St. Louis and spends most of his time in the Central West End and bicycling through Forest Park. His family founded, and still operates, a quarry along the Mississippi River in south St. Louis County.

And as if the footwear were not enough to turn heads, Bussen wears his snow-white hair down past his shoulders. He tops it all off with knit berets.

On a recent walk through the lobby of the Chase Park Plaza Hotel, one of his favorite hang-outs, about a dozen people who passed him in the lobby stopped and looked. The flowing mane first caught their eyes, but they quickly scanned down to his shoes: on this day, a pair of black Donald Pliner sandals with 2 1/2-inch heels.

Bussen, who readily admits he likes the attention, had answers before questions were even asked.

"I'm heterosexual. But I have always been a fashion-conscious guy, and women's shoes are light-years ahead of men's shoes when it comes to style.

"And I have dynamite legs," he added, "so why not show them off?"

To make sure his lower extremities stay in fighting shape, he gets a French pedicure every month. The leg work consists of cycling "whenever weather permits" 10 to 40 miles a day.

Bussen said his taste in footwear took a major turn toward the feminine about 10 years ago.

"I have very narrow feet, and men's shoes were always too wide," he said, adding that he wears a "9 slim" in women's shoes. "So I bought a pair of women's sandals in the early '90s, I guess it was, and I liked the way they fit. I don't like things to be loose on me. I don't like to be baggy.

"That's why I also buy women's jeans. I'm thin, and they fit better," he added.

"Then in 2001, I had a foot operation on some bunions, and I discovered my feet felt better when I wore women's shoes with heels. So, that's what I wear now."

Bussen said he shops for ideas at Neiman-Marcus. "I like to see what's in style. But I buy most of my shoes at Nordstrom."

Jeanne Venn, a concierge at the Chase, said she had heard of Bussen from her husband, Dave Venn, a local jazz pianist. She also had heard about Bussen wearing women's shoes. And then one day, she saw him walk through the Chase lobby.

"It is impossible not to stop and look," Venn said. "He certainly doesn't blend in with the crowd. Everyone stops and looks as he passes by."

Bussen grew up as the youngest of three children and the only son of Albert and Emma Bussen. His family ran the quarry business and Bussen graduated from Mehlville High School (Class of 1954). "That was out in the sticks back then."

Bussen attended Washington University, studied electrical engineering and began experimenting with video and audio recordings.

"I was mixing sound and working with a 16 millimeter movie projector in my parents' home back when I was in high school," he said. Bussen said that a friend introduced him to St. Louis big-band legend Russ David. In 1959, they became partners in a recording studio.

In 1964, Bussen began working as an audio engineer at Technisonic Studios, where he stayed until 1975, when he began a 10-year stint at Maritz Inc. as a video and audio engineer. In 1985, he began his own videocassette manufacturing company and worked in that field until his retirement in 1996.

Bussen, a member of the Audio Engineers Society of America, is proud of his work.

"I've recorded a lot of albums with great artists. All of the big names from Gaslight Square, including two albums with the Smothers Brothers. I engineered 'The Cheater,' the big hit by Bob Kuban and the In-Men. I worked with Ike and Tina Turner. I've also recorded Chuck Berry, Dave Brubeck and Herbie Mann."

Bussen said he has been married three times and has five grown children and one grandchild. He was married to his third wife, Mimi, for 22 years. She passed away in 2000.

Bussen now is retired, except for cooking, bicycling, shopping (for shoes) and working with local filmmakers. "We're looking for a new project right now," he said.

Bussen said he will continue to do what he enjoys and withstand any negative comments.

"When you're on the frontier, you get a lot of arrows shot at you."

jholleman@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8254

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Two words... Ho... ly... @#$%! I've read about it being discussed here, but didn't think I'd ever actually see it. Wow... !

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

Duck every one!!! ;) The s$%t has just hit fan!!! Whaaahooooooooo!! :drinking: I guess I would be more impressed if they did something covering men in hh form mild to wiled.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

JeffB:-) Now we know that there is at least one other guy around the country that doesn't care if people see him out in public with his heels fully exposed. He looks like a poster child for the HH Place Forum. Does anyone know any way that we could contact him to let him know that we exist? He does have a good looking leg and he is only 2 years younger than I. Whoa!!! Sscotty727:-) A HH PLace calendar, eh? I wonder how successful that venture would be? Stranger things have happened than that. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Sscotty727:-)

A HH PLace calendar, eh? I wonder how successful that venture would be? Stranger things have happened than that.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Imagine all the publicity and exposure we could get on all the morning "talk-shows" alone. Could have representatives from here sitting beside Regis and Kelly (both of them in heels during the segment as well)..........

Dawn, Hey, why not? I think it could work and these days you see calendars for EVERYTHING, naked "mature women" even! Why not a calender with men in heels (tastefully done, we could get JeffB to do the wardrobes) and advertised on the morning talk shows. Can anyone here say why that wouldn't work? Any volunteers? I would just scare everyone off myself ;) Scotty

Ok, I am working the ideas out in my head. We get some of our more "brazen" guys here like JeffB, Dr Shoe, Firefox, etc to do full figure pics. We then have THEM tour with the calendar. It would be great to get someone like Genebold to also go along (if he were still available) to do the explainations "You see, back in old times men used to exclusively wear heels. It has only been since...." and "You know Regis, it is a misconception that men in heels are gay. Just the contrary, most gay men wouldn't be caught dead in heels......." and so forth. Regis would then come out after the break IN heels with everyone applauding him on, Kelly whistling and yelling to the crowd "come on ladies, what do you think?" and the place erupts in whistles, catcalls and applauds. I think it could push the whole thing forward quickly. The next time you were out in your heels, you would just be seen as part of the 'crowd'. "See those guys on Regis and Kelly, wild huh? Yeah, what do you think of the new heels?"...... Could work, could work. Scotty

Hoverfly,

Why not just do a Men in HH Calendar? Who knows, might even sell......

Scotty

Not a bad idea since I am not working right now. Lose 10 15 pounds tone up a bit.....yeah it could work. Now who else would be a good idea to add on....Now who is that Irish guy on the Austun Power movies?? ;) Uhmmm.... oh yeah Fat batstard!! :rofl:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Sscotty727:-) You never know. Things have to start somewhere with a small glimmer of an idea. And then you need someone to develope the idea and run with it, not to mention backing it. Sandalcrazy:-) I think that it would have to be full figure, otherwise people may not believe us. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Ok, Dr Shoe to sponser it with his new line of "Heels for Men" and the proceeds going to charity (need a good popular one, Katrina maybe?). That alone would guarentee billing on the Regis and Kelly show!!!! After that, EVERYONE would want to get them on. Scotty

The problem is, I'm not ready to do this yet but it's a wild idea though! Maybe we could shoot next summer in time for the christmas 2006 market? I will probably be ready by then.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Ok, I am working the ideas out in my head.

We get some of our more "brazen" guys here like JeffB, Dr Shoe, Firefox, etc to do full figure pics.......

Could work, could work.

Scotty

pick me! pick me!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde