Why I moved to another country.

PJ

I have noticed a number of members here mentioning that they used to live in a particular country but are now living in different country. What I would like to know are the reasons for such a major change in their lives. As for me, although I did some extensive travelling in the military, I have always lived in the USA. How about you?

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Born Berlin, Germany At 5, family moved to California for economic reasons. At 13, I was sent to boarding school in England (back home to be educated). A wonderful decision. at 21, after finishing uni. I moved back to the USA with the aim of joining the Air Force. A horrible decision- one of the biggest mistakes of my life; although I joined, I was lucky to get a letter of release before I went to boot camp. Since then, through hard work and a fair amount of luck, I've made up for that mistake.

the truth shall make you fret

Just curious as to why you found that joining the Air Force was a big mistake? did it have anything to do with your crossdressing activities (you haven't said what gender you are) or was the authoritarian (military discipline) style of life?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Just curious as to why you found that joining the Air Force was a big mistake? did it have anything to do with your crossdressing activities (you haven't said what gender you are) or was the authoritarian (military discipline) style of life?

Nothing to do with my crossdressing activities. I'm biologically and psychologically a man. I have implied that I am a man on a number of other threads. With the hindsight of a decade, it is quite possible that my forced inactivity with regard to crossdressing would have made being in the military even less pleasant; but at the time, I was not worried about it; I don't remember why I wasn't worried, since I certainly was a crossdresser at the time.

It was partially the authoritarian style of life, but remember, I went to boarding school, which has some similarities.

Mostly it was a sense of ethics- I am a vegetarian, and at the time, I was pretty fanatical. I stopped eating meat for ethical reasons- my reasons are still there, but I don't really want to get into it here; suffice it to say, it's the same reason that I don't get enthusiastic about leather skirts. Anyway, those same ethical reasons told me that the military was not a good thing for me to go there.

I suppressed those reasons for several months, basically because when I was finishing up my undergraduate degree I did not know what else to do. My grades were very poor, so postgraduate work was not on the cards even though in the long term that is what I wanted to do (and am doing now, less than a year away from PhD). I'd never had a job, and had had little success in looking for them. The military seemed a good way to gain employment and make me more employable.

As it transpired, the Air Force made me wait for 6 months before going off to camp, and in the meantime, I secured temporary employment through a temp agency. At that point I realised that I was employable after all, and my cultivated sense of ethics took over.

Absolutely no regrets about dropping out. Since then, I have:

1) Paid off my debts from school and remained debt free since

2) Secured a permanent job that was blue collar, but quite fun and payed the bills for over five years. I was a shipping/receiving clerk. I got the gig because of earlier temp work with the same company.

3) Put myself through nightclasses to earn my MS.

4) Found a wife who I love very much. She is the sister of a colleague at the shipping/receiving gig.

5) Was able to join a PhD program, become a full-time student once more, but with significantly more success than the last time I was a full-time student; and with the full support of my wife.

Hope I answered your question.

the truth shall make you fret

Ruth and I are hoping to move to Cyprus one day. My brother already lives there and when we visited in May I noticed that there are plenty of well paid opportunities for folks with HGV licences. Moreover, housing can be quite cheap as is the cost of living though I'll miss the heelmeets!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Belgium, lived there, done that. They've got three kinds of weather in Belgium. Good bad weather, bad, bad weather and worst weather of all. And, never will I forget the oder of wet sheep on a crowded bus......(wet wool clothing)......Awful. I will have to say that I really enjoyed living in Belgium. Contrary to what the French think, Belgium has the best cuisine in Europe. Some of my favorite restaurants on this earth are in Brussels. And, let's not forget the over 300 brands of beer native to that country.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Belgium, lived there, done that. They've got three kinds of weather in Belgium. Good bad weather, bad, bad weather and worst weather of all. And, never will I forget the oder of wet sheep on a crowded bus......(wet wool clothing)......Awful.

Maybe that's why everyone is driving in Belgium and the highways are packed every morning and evening and acutally also any time in between :-?

I'm a native Belgian but have been in Finland for 7 years now and having a good time here. The world is so small nowadays that it all doesn't matter very much anymore where in Europe you live. Of course there are differences but there are many more similarities. And business is the same anywhere anyway!

B

What's all the fuss about?

Belgium, lived there, done that. They've got three kinds of weather in Belgium. Good bad weather, bad, bad weather and worst weather of all. And, never will I forget the oder of wet sheep on a crowded bus......(wet wool clothing)......Awful.

I will have to say that I really enjoyed living in Belgium. Contrary to what the French think, Belgium has the best cuisine in Europe. Some of my favorite restaurants on this earth are in Brussels. And, let's not forget the over 300 brands of beer native to that country.

Must have had every one... During the five years I went to college (ahem!), I frequented a darts bar (real darts - steel tips) that had more than 500 beers on it's list, most of which they carried a six pack (or less).

I made the 500 club!

You scored 500 in a darts game, wow I am impressed. :D

Jeff

Come on, Jeff - you know doesn't score 301 score that high (although 501 does...). And cricket's about either finishing, or finishing with the most points.

Nice try! :rofl:

Nope - the "500 Club" is a select group who have the dubious honor of having consumed all 500 of the brands they served (which changed from time to time as brands came and went). They only kept 500 brands on hand, but if you hung around long enough, you might pass the 600 mark.

By the way, the name of the bar was "The Ton 80 Club," so if you're at all familiar with the American dart scene, you'll know where I went to school. :-?

Last but not least, my roommate during my junior year was East Coast Champion. By comparison, I stunk. I won about one of ten games I played against him, but he was either three sheets to the wind or in a good mood and let me.

Gene I knew you would have consumed all 500 brands.

That is why I was impressed, that you could score 500 (501) after you had drunk 500 brands.

:rofl:

Jeff

That would be a feat! I probably wouldn't have been able to play a game of 501 after just smelling 500 brands, let alone, drinking them.

Only took three years!

Bubba136's comment on the weather in Belgium reminds me of a comment my boss made a few years back. He had just returned from several weeks in Amsterdam in December, mostly at Schiphol airport on a modification project. A hard worker and always positive, he just said he had found out the difference between a good day and a bad day in Amsterdam in the winter: On a good day the rain falls straight down, but on a bad day it goes sideways!

Wow, Bob, you boss was very preceptive :-? I remember looking out of the window of my room in our home in Brussells, one winter Sunday afternoon while doing my homework, and counted 11 different changes in the weather all in about a 3 hour period. It went from driving rain to drizzel, to snow and then sleet. Then the cycle was repeated, ad nauseam.

I think it was me who brought Belgium up. I've only been there once to Laurence's Place (HiLuc's) We went to Brussels and to a small town to the North and the people were really friendly. Added to that the food and the beer was quite exceptional. Shopping was great and the countryside was nice. Also the architecture of Brussels very interesting. It's a very civilised place. Lots of technology, good transport, restaurants, nice toilets, all very organised. The people didn't seemed concerned about heel wearing guys. In fact the only place I have been in Europe which I liked better was the Netherlands.

Born and raised in the Toronto area, moved to the USA with my family at 15 y/o and stayed. My sister went back to Canada and is now living in England. I'm a naturalized US citizen since 1985. My parents stayed here too and live close by. My mum is also naturalized but not my dad, due to tax implications.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a number of members here mentioning that they used to live in a particular country but are now living in different country. What I would like to know are the reasons for such a major change in their lives.

How about you?

Would really like to live in Scotland or Ireland for a few years. Pretty much anywhere in the UK really.

Visited Scotland and Yorkshire for a couple weeks recently and, well, was very impressed. The people were great and the scenery! Wow. But you guys have to figure out what a long trip is :-) Yeah, and we'll figure out that 100 years is nothing :-)

Having traveled a bit during my days with Continental Airlines I found it quite true that for me there's no place like home. Born in Denver, CO., lived in Italy, Hawaii, New York & Miami. I returned to Denver in 1973 & have never left. With all it's faults this is my home & I have no wish to live elsewhere. Namaste', Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Having traveled a bit during my days with Continental Airlines I found it quite true that for me there's no place like home.

Born in Denver, CO., lived in Italy, Hawaii, New York & Miami. I returned to Denver in 1973 & have never left.

With all it's faults this is my home & I have no wish to live elsewhere.

Namaste',

Anita C.

My brother has been to Denver. Had nothing but good comments about it. Found it especially humourous that while there a bit of the white stuff fell and they closed the road. Since they had a reservations at a hotel on the closed road he thought he'd ask how bad it was. Finding out that he was Canadian - well, they let him pass even without chains and AWD (only FWD). He said it was a little slippery coming into town but other than that it was ok. Hehe. Other than the fact we get winter, Canada is quite boring. No history and lots of open space with nothing to see (ok, some places are better than others).

Travel is good to open the mind.

I can't believe this many people have lived in Belgium ! I grew up there (now live in the US). The comments about the rain that goes sideways make me melancholic ! I find the US (at least parts of it) a pretty easy place to wear heels. Sometimes my wife and I toy with the idea of moving back to Belgium and I wonder if heel wearing would be as easy there.