The Olympics, what a bore.

JeffM: I think I'll save money, that's why Foxtel was cut off in the first place, I need to save as much as I can, if I want to visit my Sister in the UK! the olymics may be boring but thre are some interesting events during it! later, TXT-1

It isn't the athletes or the events that are boring. It's the presentation and incessant commenting that drives me up the wall. :D

Bubba brings up a very good point. A perfect example is the Super Bowl. Are you aware that the pre-grame shows last longer than the actual game? How's that for excessive?

Generally, I don't mind the play-by-play coverage during an actual event. But it's the filler stuff before and after that bores me. And with the high cost of covering the Olympics, the networks generate these fillers to increase their advertising revenue.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

JeffM asked:

To all you Olympic knockers

What sort of sport do you like watching?

I love to fish. At least 3 times a week I fish the tidal marsh and ocean behind my house for flounder, shrimp, crabs, etc. (It doesn't take long to catch enough for supper.) I don't golf even though there are about 15 golf courses within a 30-minute drive from my front door. I do like to ride my bike along the pathway by the river, though. Usually in the early morning or evening when it's cooler.

As far as watching sports on TV? I usually watch baseball (Baltimore Orioles or Atlanta Braves) and, of course American Football (Washington Redskins

. Basket ball? Sorry, I'm not a fan of professional basketball. (Wouldn't go to a game even if I were spending your money). Love "March Madness" however. Duke University...." Go! Blue Devils."

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

JeffM asked:

I like to watch anything with an engine trying to go faster than the other similar thing with an engine :D

Doesn't matter much which type of racing, be it circuit, oval, or drag racing (used to go drag racing 4 or 5 times a year over here at Santa Pod Raceway, now it's closer to me, and I get there less often, go figure)

Any sport involving spherical objects is usually a big bore and top of the snore list has to be soccer, although the Olympics is running in a close silver medal position.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Hi Bubba I have to admit I like a good game of baseball. By good I mean one where the fielders get to be involved not one where the batters are struck out all through the game. As for your Grid Iron, have you ever seen a game of Australian Rules Football. Leaves your game for dead in my opinion but then that is what I was brought up on and you were bought up on Grid Iron no doubt. And while I like fishing it is pretty boring watching it and that is what I asked about. Jeff

Jeff

Cricket's good, because you can do something worthwhile whilst watching it and if you go to the match you can sit in the sun all day and drink beer. Heaven!

If Arsenal are playing then football is ok but I can take or leave it.

Motorsport is exciting with F1 being a particular favourite and sailing is OK and is exciting if offshore.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I like off-road and dirt track or flat track motorcycle racing, and trials. Off-road full-size 4-wheel vehicle racing, and the equivalent of trials with 4WD--Landcruiser clubs have such events regularly, as well as annual events near Moab, Utah. I've also heard that the Black Bear Road to Telluride, Colorado, or the Rubicon Trail in California can be fun.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Here is something I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I truly hate sports commentators when they think that they know what the athletes, coaches and officials are thinking about. I love it when the actions by the athlete contradict what a commentator had stated previously. I also hate it when sports commentators anticipate and then end up making the wrong call or comment. If you consider me to be an Olympic knocker, you are incorrect. In the current Olympics, I've watched basketball, swimming, diving, weight lifting, judo, beach volleyball, and track & field. When the commentary is aired before or after an event, that's when I change the channel. If I'm angry enough, I turn the sound down during an event so as not to hear any commentary.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Yes, JeffM, I do watch Australian rules football occasionally. It is broadcast on one of the cable channels that we get here. A rough game almost like rugby, isn't it....except the scoring and kicking is different (and confusing)...as is the field I think) .

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well Radcliffe proved what a quitter she is. Another race she failed to finish. I saw a British guy in the Triathlon whose wheel broke in the cycle part of the race. He carried his bike for a few thousand m before he got his wheel changed and eventually finished the race. That's guts for you.

He carried it? I'd have used the other wheel to at least take half, if not most, of the load.

Guts, sure! But work smarter, not harder. That way you have both time and energy to turn what you can do into a success!

Actually Gene he did both. Apparantly he broke a couple of spokes in the back wheel and that cause it to jam up. As they are not allowed a back up vehicle in that event he had to get himself and the bike to a repair station where a team helps all those that need it, not just their own countrymen. So he ran with the front wheel on the ground for some of the time and carried the bike on his shoulder for some of the time. I dont know what made him use one method over the other. The comentary didnt say. And I agree with FF a real gutsy effort. Jeff

Actually, I think you'll find it's easier to run when carrying a bike than to wheel it. You kind of get all tangled up in it.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hi Bubba I don’t think you could say that Aussie rules is like rugby at all. First Soccer, Rugby League and Union and maybe Grid Iron too use a field that is rectangular about 100 m X 50 m wide. Aussie rules is an oval about 220 m long by 120 m wide. In Soccer the ball can not be handled except by the goalie and is kicked forward or backward. In League and Union it must be passed backward only to go forward unless it is kicked. In Grid Iron it is thrown forward. In Aussie Rules it can be hand balled off to another player by hitting the ball with a closed fist from the other hand. Throwing the ball in the air and hitting it is not allowed and technically dropping the ball when tackled is illegal too. Of course as you have seen the ball is also kicked mostly through the air not across the ground. In the other 4 codes the players stand against each other in each half that is one team in one half the field and the other in the other half, at least at the start they do that. In Aussie rules there are 18 players on the field from each team, 36 in all. There are 3 full forwards marked by 3 full backs. There are 3 half forwards marked by 3 half backs. There are 3 centre players marked by 3 centres from the other team. Then there are 3 other players, 1 a ruckman who jumps for the bounced ball or when it is thrown in from the side by a boundary umpire and 2 rovers whose job is to follow the play. Each team is allowed a 4 man interchange bench. The game starts when the central field umpire bounces the ball in the centre square, 40 m x 40 m. There is also a 50 m circle at each end but it is only to give players a guide to how far they are from the goal posts. It has nothing to do with the rules of the game. 6 points are given when the goal umpire declares the ball was kicked only, not hand balled, between the middle posts and 1 point is given when it is kicked or hand balled between the outer posts or if kicked through the centre posts, it is touched by the opposition. There are 3 field umpires 2 boundary umpires and 2 goal umpires plenty enough to let the crowd vent their anger. Hope this helps you or anyone else understand our game. Jeff

I'd compare Aussie Rules as closer to Gaelic football than rugby. My favourite sports to watch are golf or cricket. Many people find those sports quite boring as they don't have the immediate appeal of a sport like soccer, but like most of these things if you play or understand the sport it can be fascinating. Back to my original rant about the Olympics, it is not to do with condemning any activity, but more to do with the way we have it presented to us on UK TV. Incessant commetry for days and weeks on end focussed on minor British medal hopes. I'd prefer to watch the event and appreciate the skill shown on the day. Whether it is a UK Olympian or not, I'm happy to see it if it is special.

Dr. Shoe wrote:

Actually, I think you'll find it's easier to run when carrying a bike than to wheel it. You kind of get all tangled up in it.

Actually, judging on JeffM's explanation of Australian football, I think carrying a bike is easier than playing football by Australian rules. :rofl:

Bubba seems I have caused you to be more confused over Aussie rules rather than helping you understand it better. :D Sorry about that. As for Gaelic football yes the 2 codes are similar so much so that each year at the end of our season and I believe the start of their season Ireland plays against Australia in a combined rules game. The goal posts are different having a cross bar as well as a net and the ball is round. There is also something changed in the way a player is allowed to tackle the oposition. One year it is played in Oz and th next in Ireland. Jeff

Well now. It seems like those of us that viewed the Olympics as a complete waste of time are in the minority. I read a short newspaper article that reported that the U.S. TV network that was broadcasting events here in the USA (NBC TV) set a record for the number of people that watched their coverage. So, someone out there must have been watching ---- even though I didn't watch it much.

I remember watching an australian football game on late night ESPN. I watched it all the way through--never did figure out how it was played. It was the most confusing game I have ever watched. That said, it was a lot of fun to watch, and comical too. And I do have to agree with JeffM--American football is pretty tame by comparison--I doubt that an American professional football team could even score, assuming they actually learned how to play Aussie Football.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I agree with you, azraelle! :D I wonder if the players in Australia are paid the same outrageous salaries that American football players are paid?