Self-edited profanity

I've just been reading the boards over at IMDB, and there's a huge number of people self editing their posts for profanity. Either they replace one letter with an asterisk like th*s, or acutally write "*beep*"! What's the point? If you want to swear go for it. Sticking an asterisk in there doesn't disguise the word in any way, it's still blo*dy obvious what it is. As and for actually typing "this is *beep*" get a life. This really annoys me, if they either don't feel comfortable writing swear words in all their glory, or don't want to offend then why not just use a non-profane word instead? Semi-hiding swear words or "bleeping" them out yourself is the most pointless thing I've ever seen since I borrowed a Shaun Hutson book from the library which had every swear word meticulously crossed out. The really scary thing is that the pen had run out part way through, and it was continued in another colour! :roll: Feel better, had to rant. Chris

It's not that I'm advocating swearing, I'm just saying either swear or don't. I too swear like a trooper in real life, partly as a result of spending six years working unsocial hours in an all-male environment, but I try to avoid doing it on message boards, or when in the company of people who might find it offensive. My point is that anyone with a half-decent vocabulary is perfectly capable of making a point, even strongly, without swearing at all. So why bother almost doing it? Chris

I don't mind a bit of swearing personally but I know others have different opinions. I have been known to say the f word. If I'm going to say it I don't use asterixes. Either you say it or you don't. Asterixes are pointless so I agree with Chris. I don't like the c word, and wouldn't use it myself though if anyone else did I wouldn't much care.

Before I begin my treatise, which includes no foul language whatsoever, even "masked," I would like to ask your forgiveness for even speaking on the subject. I only do so because this thread brings up some good points, and I would like to address them, as well as some of my own.

And now...

Personally, I dislike profanity. I will always put a stop to it at work, and have even asked clients to "please stop using vulgarity in my presence. I'm not a prude, but I hope you'll forgive me, as I find it offensive."

On the other hand, vulgar and obscene language is everywhere, so much so that instead of being the rare exception to the norm, back in the days when the police and bobbies would cite you for it, even Vice Presidents have use it:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Typically a break from partisan warfare, this year's Senate class photo turned smiles into snarls as Vice President Dick Cheney reportedly used profanity toward one senior Democrat, sources said.

Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who was on the receiving end of Cheney's ire, confirmed that the vice president used profanity during Tuesday's class photo.

A spokesman for Cheney confirmed there was a "frank exchange of views."

When I was in high school, I looked up some of the more colorful words, only to find them strangely absent from the dictionary.

Another check in the late 90's, however, revealed a different picture, namely, that many dictionaries were including them.

Why?

Because like it or not, they're a deeply embedded part of the English language.

Consider the case of one such word, long considered to be an acronym for "fornication under carnal knowledge."

Not so! says Merriam-Webster dictionary, which has this to say on the matter:

Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate

There! An entire post on foul language, and all of you know exactly which one, yet I did not once resort to "self-editing" by the use of a*****icks (astericks).

Unfortunately, if one substitutes some unintended letters and one character for the ones that were intended in "astericks," one might very well find something that's vulgar!

Two points:

First, those who want something bad enough will find it (or invent it).

Second, when you're talking about what makes cow pastuers smell, iit makes little difference whether you use a socially accepted word like "excrement" or it's more offensive sibling, many people will still find the topic of dicussion offensive.

If that's the case, however, why not just cut to the chase?

Because it's offensive, that's why! And those who care nothing of others go right ahead and offend.

Those who are sensitive towards others, however, take care not to offend them.

Therefore, the best policy is to avoid even hinting at the use of foul language, as one never knows who might be offended.

Thank you for your time.

Mary had a little plane (aeroplane for those in the UK) and in it she did fly up and down, loops and twirls, through the clouds she’d soar, and, with each flight I’d think, tisk, tisk, her pretty little “*” :rofl:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I knew a man (a department manager, actually) at the Nevada Test Site, who was at the time working for REECo, a DOE general contractor, who was fired for using the word stercoracious to describe another department manager. He probably wouldn't have been except that he was so convinced of his self importance, and the rightness of his position that he audaciously mailed, hard copies of his 3 page diatribe to all the other department heads, and the Company President. Point is, use of substitute "high English" can get you into trouble too.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Hi, azraelle. Even I had to look up stercoraceous, and I thought I knew 'em all. Oh, well. He probably would have been canned for sending copies to the department heads even if he'd used "really swell guy." Mass mailings outside the chain of command aren't well tolerated in the DoD or affiliated companies.

Most people that use "little known" words in their communications do so only when they believe they're dealing with people of "lesser" intellect. However, there's always the danger that one of them might understand what they mean......and then, the jig is up. :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Foul language may be considered "offensive" by some. But then again there are other things which are could also be classed as "offensive." I'd include in that such things as smoking or drinking in public, men wearing some slightly unusual fashion such as heels, promoting one's religion in public etc etc. I'd wager that some people who may find foul language distasteful and refrain from using it for fear of offending would regularly indulge in one or other of the above activities without a second thought. My solution is to live and let live. Unless an action is physically threatening to your health and existence, then a little tolerance goes a long way, and you can generally choose who you mix with in the long run.

Live and let live is a good approach. I certainly don't correct strangers when they use foul language in my presence, although I have been known to ask them to cease if they're telling a very raunchy story within earshot. I mean, why should I have to move away from where was? If they want to discuss such filth, they're free to do so amongst themselve - but freedom of speech (or any other form of expression) usually doesn't extend to impinging on another's right to be free from it. However, one must be careful with this approach, as someone might say, "well, men wearing heels grosses me out, so stop it!" The defining factor is whether or not the preponderance of society would be "grossed out" by it. Most people would find the story I overheard very objectionable. Very few of them would find my wearing heels objectionable. They might view it as "different," or even "weird," but certainly not objectionable. Thus, societal norms of what's considered decent, acceptable, unacceptable, indecent, objectionable, and damaging, does play into what's allowed and what's not. Fortunately, so far as society as a whole in concerned, these days the concept of men wearing heels falls into the "acceptable" category. Given the fact that in the 60's men were actually arrested for wearing long hair in some regions, I don't believe we would have faired as well back then! Fortunately, our society has grown used to the idea of change. We've still got a ways to go, though...

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want you all to think that I'm a prude as I'm not, but I do not drink and I do not smoke and I do not swear. But I DO wear high heels daily. If I attempted to swear while growing up, my Mom would place a bar of soap into my mouth and I had to leave it there until she said I could take it out. I very quickly learned not to repeat any foul language that I heard publicly as that soap sure tasted awful. At that time the family was using a soap called Lifeboy. It sure did clean you up, but after having it in your mouth a while, you were sure to taste it for the rest of the day. As far as I know, I haven't used any foul language in any of my posts here in the High Heel Forum either. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

If thats prudish DawnHH then count me in your prude club. I also don't touch alcohol, or cigarettes and never have. Bad language though is, I'm sorry to say, one of my vices. But I try to refrain when in front of people I don't know, and as far as possible refrain in all messages on this board as a sign of respect to others.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Shyguy:-) Well, the next time you have a tendency to swear, "BITE YOUR TONGUE". If the pain doesn't remind you to "CLEAN" up your language, then "SUCK" on a bar of soap for a half hour or so. The "TASTE" will definately "STICK" with you and remind you the next time you want to "SWEAR" Heh! Heh! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 3 months later...

DawnHH wrote:

I don't want you all to think that I'm a prude as I'm not, but I do not drink and I do not smoke and I do not swear. But I DO wear high heels daily.

Thank heavens, you're not all good!!!!! :rofl:

"Profanity is the rage of an impoverished intelect" :) -Shakespeare

Namaste',

Anita C.

and he still came up with some good insults without being profane, for example [Thou] leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-pated, agatering, puke-stocking, caddis-garter, smooth-tongue, Spanish pouch! (try clicking on http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/index.html? for many many more!)

Emma