Behaviour!

Anita C.

People behave better when they are dressed up.  

141 members have voted

1. 1. People behave better when they are dressed up.

According to many studies, people of all ages behave better when they are dressed up. At upscale bars that have a dress code there are virtually NO boisterous outbursts/fights . . . and the Police backs these conclusions up by telling us that they respond to fewer calls to upscale establishments. Your thoughts? Ciao, Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

I have to disagree. I used to work as a police officer, and often patrolled a busy town centre. The places we got the most trouble from were the wine bars and clubs where the guys were all in shirts trousers and shoes. The biker pubs where everybody was wearing leather and jeans were no problem. There was a gay club not far from one of the biker pubs I used to visit, and one night two guys walked into the pub from there in full drag. There was a bit of good-natured ribbing, but nothing malicious, quite in contrast to the abuse shouted at them by some "better dressed" guys on their way. The only way I can see this being supported is if you're referring to places like the theatre, where it's likely to be less to do with choice of clothing, and more to do with attracting the kind of people whose idea of a good night out doesn't involve starting a fight. Chris

From my police experience, I learned the following: If excessive alcohol is not involved, then I would agree with Anita C. However, if excessive alcohol is involved, then it does not matter how anyone is dressed.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I asked several officers about this and it was general consensus that when people are dressed better they drink less and, voila', are better behaved. Where I live and in LA the cops I talked with (over 50 of them) agreed that they received more calls from biker bars than all other "Adult Beverage" establishments combined. They also said that there were bars where it is policy that more than 2 cars show up to ANY call. This is NOT a slam on bikerfolks but the results of conversations with the cops I deal with and talk to regularly. The other comments I heard is that the sports bar crowds are right up there with the biker bars. Matter of fact a case I'm working on (Assault & Battery/Domestic Violence. Our clients' name is "Panhead", he has 2 priors and to be brutally honest he's going away for 8/10 and that's the best he can hope for.) was what prompted this poll. Sharon Daughertys' studies in Behavioral Psychology and many others came to the same conclusion that when people are dressed up they simply behave better including over indulging in alcohol. How many fights did we see break out at the Academy Awards this year? Hey-Mickey Rorke, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin and the Champaign was a-flowin'. . . I could go on. The one time I accepted a booking at a biker birthday party I did have fun BUT I was nervous at the sight of all the people who were packing weapons. As the evening went on and the alcohol consumption soared the patrons started treating me like a party favour. One of 'em pulled the biggest offender aside and said "Cool it Bro! She's a LAYWER!". I left shortly thereafter. Ciao, Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

...Where I live and in LA the cops I talked with (over 50 of them) agreed that they received more calls from biker bars than all other "Adult Beverage" establishments combined. ... The other comments I heard is that the sports bar crowds are right up there with the biker bars.

I've had little experience with biker and sports bars so I can't dispute this.

... Sharon Daughertys' studies in Behavioral Psychology and many others came to the same conclusion that when people are dressed up they simply behave better including over indulging in alcohol ...

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Saron Daugherty's work. However, I still believe clothing can only have an affect upon behavior when you are conscious of that fact. Excessive alcohol impedes our thought process (both common sense and memory).

... How many fights did we see break out at the Academy Awards this year? Hey-Mickey Rorke, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin and the Champaign was a-flowin' ...

Maybe with all the media around, their agents reminded them about displaying good behavior. Then again I don't watch the Academy Awards so I'm not aware if any fights did occur at the actual live telecast. However, I would love to read the police blotter on the nights they held all of those pre-Oscar and post-Oscar private parties where security keeps the media at a safe distance and the stars can "let it all hang out".

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

In most upscale bars you are more likely to find more couples out for a quiet evening than groups of people out for a "lads night out" (or lasses' night out come to that) hence the better behaviour.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hi Anita, At upscale bars I would agree there is less trouble but I think it has more to do with the type of people who frequent them rather than dress codes. However, these people, in general, tend to dress up more so there is certainly a link. Go to any major town or city in north-east England and most of the trouble is caused by young lads who simply can't handle their drink. Most of these will be wearing at least smart trousers and shirt because even a lot of more downmarket places in city centres stilll have dress codes. Go to any bar where people are united by a common thread, e.g. rock clubs, then I think there is less likely to be trouble. Love, Paul.

I thought this years academy awards are going to be held on Sunday night?

According to their web site at http://www.oscar.com/, the 2004 Academy Awards will be held February 29, 2004.

Although Anita C. did post

... How many fights did we see break out at the Academy Awards this year? ...

I logically assumed that she was referring to the most recent show (from last year).

I believe dressing up does play a factor on how people will behave. But the environment will determine behavior as well. For instance Alcohol and a sports bar. Most likely the sore losers with heighten testosterone will start a fight Vs alcohol and a dance hall social club where you may only make an embarrassment of your self falling flat on your ass. Up brining also determines how you behave, but alcohol is like a truth serum and shows who the person really is.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

This is a rather "leading" survey. One answer is posted first and in capital letters. However, I am not easily lead and picked false. That's because my behaviour is not related to my dress. I (try to) behave in a civil fashion however. That's because morality is not logically related to clothing. Other people may think differently.

This is a rather "leading" survey. One answer is posted first and in capital letters...

Although I posted a comment earlier, I never did vote. So I did not notice the misleading text. I'm surprised no one else made mention of it.

This is a rather "leading" survey. One answer is posted first and in capital letters. However, I am not easily lead and picked false. That's because my behaviour is not related to my dress. I (try to) behave in a civil fashion however. That's because morality is not logically related to clothing. Other people may think differently.

I don't think the survey really relates directly to the kind of generally decent sorts of people who normally post here but to the general public in general.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think dressing up brings out a special "character" that makes us behave differently than when we are in our regular clothes... I had a wedding not long ago, black & tie, and people where behaving more formal and "educated". The atmosphere was certainly different, depsite that these are people that I have seen all my life. Even the jokes where more formal... I guess you also "Dress the part" when dressed up!