Mornington Crescent

This is really a message to those who like to use the Word Association Game.  I was given an idea by a friend.

Do any of you know of Mornington Crescent?  It's a spoof word game on a radio programme  panel game here in the UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_%28game%29  Basically, the players take it in turns to name tube stations until one names Mornington Crescent, thereby winning the point.

I wondered if we might like to do something similar.  Given such things as we know about each other we might occasionally choose to lead the thread in a direction where a particular members name might be played before they get in.  For example, a recent line led to 'blackberry, apple, crumble, Megan!!'  You'd need the double exclamation mark to claim the point.  Had I not been beaten to it I would have played 'birthday'.  You can ponder why.

Of course, it would only happen occasionally, because one of the rules is that you have to follow the thread, and obviously, confidences must be respected.  What do people think?

Didn't you do English Comprehension at school ;) ?  If you read the piece properly I think you'll find I don't reveal the rules of Mornington Crescent.  There's merely a description of what listeners encounter.  Of course I offer rules for my 'something similar'.  No-one could play otherwise.

Of course, my suggestion doesn't have any of the depth or opportunity for subtle gameplay as the original; it's just based on the premise of the original.  Imagine, if you will, Top Trumps cards with chess pieces on.

Megan are you sure about this?

I would have thought "just a minute" would be more appropriate?

Well, I didn't mean us to start playing Mornington Crescent, but I felt I couldn't let Dr Shoe's play go unchallenged.  Just a Minute would be wonderful, but can you honestly imagine me managing to avoid deviation?

Rip torn said that there were only two actors who didn't blink when they fired a gun. Clint Eastwood was one and on QI they asked who the other was. Alan Davis suggested that it might be Kenneth Williams :) '(American accent) Funnily enough it was one of your guys...' But he could talk like a good'un. In The Grauniad this week Paul Merton, who's very good at Just a Minute, said that he wanted the theme tune played at his funeral. I was surprised that he didn't call it the Minute Waltz. Actually, I want 'The Red Red Robin' played at mine. I can see the pall bearers step-hopping down the aisle, though that's really the side bits of a church and not the path up the middle. Anyway, they did Just a Minute on the television recently, and if you shut your eyes it was exactly like the real thing. Nicholas Parsons was the host, which is as it should be, and it was agreeable to know that Clement Freud, for example, has his modern counterpart and that the world carries on with the loss of the great.

Barking

Now I'm confused. Was that a reference to Megan? Or an East London Tube Station? Or going for a two in one? Edited by manluvheels

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

:-)

I thought as much :P

I think I played a "Mornington Creacent" in the Word Association thread earlier but I think it's best left to Megan "Lyttleton" to decide :)

Edited by manluvheels

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

I did watch them careering around and like a wolf I was poised to step in at what I felt was the right moment. I accept your decision however. :(

All I can say is that you are a hard, hard woman Megan ;)

I thought that was the only way you could go. An impossible situation.

Now you've set a real challenge and I'm not sure I am up to it :(

Someone else may step in but they could be playing with fire!

The good doctor has made a very significant move. In full accordance with both Woodger's Rule and and Naysmith's Congruence. Which means, after suitable computations I can say......

Mornington Cresecent!

Darn and blast! I hadn't thought to check the Rule and the Congruence.

I think you may well have done the nigh impossible there.

Well done, but I think it's best if Megan the Adjudicator makes a pronunciation :)

I think the points go to at9.

As The Adjudicator do I get to wear an outfit with a big A on the front?  What are my super powers?

What do points mean?