Hats

So, three chaps buried to the neck, one behind the other.  Each is wearing a black hat or a white hat.  To save everyone, one has to say what colour hat he's wearing.  Who  must speak?

I think they can only see the chap in front.

Sorry, I think I might have made a pig's ear of this.

Now that my mind is working let me clear it up.  They can all speak.  They can all see what's in front of them, so the front chap can see no-one, the middle chap can see the chap in front, the back chap can see the two others.  None knows what's on his own head.  They have to get it right first time.

I don't think we have enough 'instruction', Megan!    If all of them are allowed to speak, does that mean that they can have unlimited conversation and ask as many questions as they wish of each other?   Is it right that there is only one positive 'statement' allowed by the group (i.e. ' I am wearing a  ... coloured hat') and they will only survive if this proves correct?

I don't think we have enough 'instruction', Megan!    If all of them are allowed to speak, does that mean that they can have unlimited conversation and ask as many questions as they wish of each other?   Is it right that there is only one positive 'statement' allowed by the group (i.e. ' I am wearing a  ... coloured hat') and they will only survive if this proves correct?

Yes, I have rather fouled this up, haven't I?  Here goes again.  I've just remembered that when I first saw it there was a picture, but I don't know how to put a picture in,  so I'll try and explain the scenario sufficiently.  Three chaps buried to their necks one behind the other. They can only see in front of themselves. The front and the back chap are wearing black hats, the middle one a white hat.  Anyone can speak, but they must only speak once to say 'I am wearing a .... hat.'  If an incorrect statement is made they all get the chop.  Who must speak?  (Apologies for my complete lack of competence in setting this. :monkey: )