First Time Shoe Sizing

cbrown

Hello everyone, I found this forum while trying to figure out how to purchase my first pair of heels. My feet are large, about 11-12 D in men's sizes, making it impossible to try on something in a store. After several online attempts at some that were way too small, sizes 13 and 14, I am finally having more success with size 15 wide. However, since they are my first, I don't know how they are supposed to fit correctly. The width feels perfect, but my heel sometime slips out. I don't know if that's because I'm still awkward in trying to walk in them, and my toes are getting too scrunched, which pulls my heel away from the back of the shoe. It's either that or they are too long. The size 14 shoes, from the same manufacturer, were too narrow, so I new I needed something wider. I think they also would have been too short when just placing the shoe under my foot. That pair was a strappy sandal, so it was easy to put them under my feet to check. So my hunch is that the size 15 pumps might be the right length but that I may not be walking in them right. I know there are a lot of guys who know much about this stuff, so please give me your advice. Should I exchange them for size 14 or learn how to walk in them correctly?

Shoe sizing is highly variable, not only from one brand to another, but from one style to another in the same brand. That's why it's so much more efficient to try on shoes in a store where you can walk around in different sizes to experience what works best for you. Unfortunately, since you can't do that, you will need to resort to trial and error. I'm afraid you'll have to expect lots of error, as 14 might be best in one style, 15 in another and maybe even 13 and 16! There's that much variability. You will also encounter shoes that don't fit well in any size. Sometimes they can be stretched or padded in the right places to fit better. But if they don't feel close to right on the first wearing, chances are slim that they'll be ok later. It's best to get as close as you can to start with. I call that the wow factor. When you put on a pair of heels and they fit perffectly, you say, "Wow!" and that's a 10. Buy them! When you can't even get them on or if they hurt, that's a zero. Pass them up! If the heel slips off but everything else fits right, maybe a smaller size would work, or you can get heel grips at the drug store which could fix the problem. You'll have to experiment. It could be that that style just isn't meant for your feet. One more thing. In the bigger sizes there are no half sizes, so you might find that the 15 is too big and the 14 is too small and you really need a 14 1/2 in that style but they don't make it. That's a common issue with us guys. Good luck in your adventure, and let us know what works, with photos! Steve

As Steve said sizing really does vary with manufacturer and style. I wear a 14 in a 5" stiletto heeled boot, and a 12 in a round toe flat to 4" heeled boot and 13 in pumps. I suspect you will find more things that fit in the round toe design rather than the pointed toe design. There are few things more uncomfortable than shoes that don't fit. Good luck hunting.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

If your heels are slipping out, then you might have high arched, narrow heels. I got the same problem. I wear boots most of the time to get around it. Also, try the heel grips and the ball of the foot pad, it will stop your feet from sliding too far forward. Good luck!

Actually, I believe the problem is likely related to width. Those of us with wide feet have more of a problem with womens shoes because they are made to fit a narrower foot. So in order to get something that will fit the width of the foot, we increase the size. So what ends up happening is that the length is actually too long, even though the forefoot fit is ok. The only real solution is to find shoes in a width that can actually accommodate the foot with the correct length as well. I wear a size 10.5 wide in men's shoes. I find that, in the rare instances they are available, a womens size 11, but in a double wide (WW or D seems to be the most common designation for womens sizes) seems to be a good fit for me. But good luck trying to find something that you'd actually like to wear in size 13 double wide. I know that even in an 11 WW, the choices are slim.But with the correct width, the heel does not slip out, as the length then matches up better to your actual foot length.