My First Purchase

stoney8

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I've decided it's time that I stop wearing boots when I get the opportunity and instead I should buy my own boots so I can wear them when I like. My only problem so far is that I do not have my own pair of boots. At the moment it is extremely difficult to have boots delivered to my office or home so I am going to go to a shop and buy a pair. I have built it up in my head that the weekend after next (on a Friday evening or Saturday) I will go to Oxford street to one of the high street shops and buy a pair of boots. In my head it will work out perfectly but I know that isn't going to happen. To start off I'm not entirely sure what size will fit best. I used to wear my aunty's size 7 (uk) wide fit and they were ok but a little tight. I'm uk 10 so do I go for the biggest size they have - I guess a 9 and hope they fit. Or do I build up enough courage to try them on in the shop if its quiet? From reading previous forums, I know this has been discussed alot but any advice on your first time buying a pair of boots would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Stoney8, The demons are all in your head. Every day, thousands of guys go into shoe stores all over the world to try on and buy women's shoes. The sales agents have seen it all before. You would not be the first man to ask to try on women's shoes or boots and you will not be the last. The sales agents are there to make a sale and they will usually do everything they can to expedite that result. They will try to make you comfortable, suggest alternatives, and go to great lengths to make the sale. You are not adversaries with them, you are partners. Help them make a sale, but remember it's YOUR money and you want to buy something that fits and that you can wear comfortably. If it hurts, you won't wear it and it will be money wasted. Don't do that. Get good value for your money. The first time is the most difficult, but once you've done it, you will realize that it's not as hard as you thought it would be. And after a few times you'll wonder why you were so reluctant to do it in the first place. I've tried on women's shoes and boots in many shoe stores over the years and I've never had a bad time, but I have had a lot of good ones. Chances are that your experience will be the same. So take a deep breath, go inside, act VERY confident (like you've done this 100 times before), and ask to try on a boot that you like in your size. Try on both left and right and get up and walk around. You're not buying the boots just to wear sitting down. You want them to be comfortable in dynamic mode - for standing and walking. Get the best quality boots you can find and you will be happy to have made a good investment. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Steve

Pumpcat - it's been a long day in the office and for the risk of being stupid; as I'm a size 10 male shoe size I will need a size 12 female shoe size. Is that correct?? Steve - thank you for the advice. You make it sound really easy, and I'm sure once I've left the shop (hopefully with a new pair of boots) ill realise how easy it was/could have been. I'll let you know how it goes Thanks

Stoney: Are you a Euro 43? Curious, I know M/F sizing can be different in North America and the UK.

My recommendation would be to find a higher end store. Not the cheapest place to buy footwear, but you pay for helpful service and they usually stock a wider range of sizes then bargain shops. Make sure they are very comfortable when you put them on. If they pinch or poke that feeling will only get worse in time. While price can be an indication of quality I am sure you will find a much larger gap in quality between £10 and £100 pairs then you will £50 and £500 pairs. Either way, be confident and make sure you walk in them for a short while before paying for them.

Also, forget coming up with a cover story, just be honest that you've been curious to get a pair of your own, honesty will get you more respect and better service then the numerous other lies they hear almost every day from guys "Buying a pair for my wife in UK12". ;)

Good luck, have fun, and let us know what you pick out.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Just go to a store and buy them. Guys sizes are usually two sizes smaller than womans(number wise) ex- I'm a size 10w and size 8m is us sizes. Good luck!

UK sizes are nominally the same for both men and women. EU43 = UK9 which is the largest standard women's size you will find in the UK. Even then it's quite rare. Sometimes EU42 is called UK9 which just shows you can never be quite sure without trying on. Some brands run small - Aldo UK9 are nearer UK7 in my experience. Clarks will usually be true to size.

If you're a UK10 I'm amazed you even got into a pair of UK7 boots.

I also have an experience that EU 42 = UK 9 in womens size. I think that London is so cosmopolitan city that nobody will care that some dude wants to buy high heel boots. However New Look seems to put a remark on their shoes that UK 9 = EU 43. Just to give some courage to you I will tell two stories and two thoughts: S1) couple of days ago we were buying heels for my wife at New Look in Mokotow Gallery in Warsaw, Poland. I saw another guy who was helping his wife/girlfriend. And when he thought nobody was looking (except me, of course, haha), he started trying on some high heels. I showed it to my wife and she was surprised that he had enough courage doing that. I wasn't that brave that day :) S2) couple of years ago I was buying a pair of heels in UK 7 size for my fiancee (a further wife to be) in Dublin at Office store at Grafton St. I told to a male seller (who looked a bit gay to me, but no offence at all) that these were for my lady. He only said "you never know" :D I just replied that I think I would have to buy UK 9 if they were for me as I have 42/43 in EU sizing. He replied "we have some styles in that size" so I said I would maybe try next time. In the end he said "yeah, no problem. We're here to help you". I was almost shocked but I realised one thing which is below. T1) I think that currently the salesmen are targeted to sale no matter to whom they sell these heels. I think they don't care about the gender as long as they can get the revenues for their company and the wages for their work. T2) London is so great city with so many people's styles and appearances that nobody will take a notice that some guy tries heeled boots. I'm also jealous that I hadn't the opportunity to live in London and I just want to say that you're very lucky to live there. There are plenty of shops that sell normal stuff but there are also some shops with alternative footwear with bigger sizes, especially for men. So good luck and try to buy the highest boots possible :) By the way, I just realised that I will also do it when I go to some mall, gallery or whatever. If someone makes a bad face on me, then I'll reply: "I've got wife, a happy wife and I like trying some heels. So f***ing what's your problem? Start staring 180 degrees around" :) P.S. Please let me know at PM if I make any language mistakes. I haven't spoken or written English for some time and I see that my vocab is getting worse. :(

I buy the same size in womens shoes and my mens size (i'm a 6 wide technically, recently had my feet measured) but have been wearing a size 7 uk for years. Its always best to try on the boots/shoes before buying. But if you do buy a pair without trying them on keep the receipt and packaging and wear them at home indoors only and if they are uncomfortable you can exchange them. What style are you thinking of and are you planning on wearing them at home only or on public?

Thanks for the replies - I missed a few replies that were posted yesterday. I know now isn't the best time to buy boots but as you all say I have nothing to hide and as the sales people are on commission then they shouldn't be bothered. I will go for ankle or knee high (if they have any) and probably a chunkier heel to start off with. I will defo buy a stiletto pair of boots soon enough but to start off with I just want to get used to the heels.

In a few weeks, boots are going to be overflowing in the stores. Ya, go with the chunky heels. I think chunky heels will be back in fashion in a big way soon. Don't worry, just have fun shopping! All of us here realise that we don't have to be stuck in the little bubble that society puts us in. Wear what you like, and make yourself happy. Girls can dress like guys, but guys can't dress like girls? Not fair! Let us know how you make out.

Hey stoney8, Like most everyone else has advised, just be honest with yourself and others. then you won't have to worry about things that need to be squared or made right later. If you have copied examples or lists on paper of the boots or shoes that you have seen on-line or in displays at stores that you really like, this would help you focus on the stock being presented at the store or it would help the salesperson know if they have that pair or something similar. If they don't have the footwear you want, maybe they would know who would have them. By the way, if you aren't satisfied with any of the footwear, there will be other days that you could have the joy of shopping for what your looking to buy. Usually, the pursuit of heels can be about as much fun as having bought them and then wearing your new heels out the store doors to your destination and beyond. Of course, you have to be ready to do so in your own mind.

You definitely don't want to blindly buy a size if you don't have a solid idea of your size. The ideal solution is getting your foot measure in the woman size with what every you plan on wearing on your feet with those boots. So probably shouldn't measure your foot in socks if you plan on wearing nylons with the boots or vice versa. Some other options are go to a low end store that have foot measurers on the floor were you can measure your foot yourself then you will get a good idea of your size. Then you could buy something and return it if you don't like the fit. But with boots I really recommend trying on instore because the foot isn't the only measurement you need to worry about. Your foot could fit but your calves might not.

I've tried on shoes and boots in lots of stores on Oxford Street, including New Look, River Island, Wallis, Debenhams. For sure some staff and customers are a little more phased than others but all staff have been very professional and courteous, and reactions have varied from neutral to positively enthusiastic. I don't mean to trivialise your concerns - it is very hard to believe it can go so well until you experience it for yourself - but if you can step into each store like it's the world you want it to be, your biggest problem will be the scarcity of boots at this time of year. Good luck to you.

If you like it, wear it.

What I have found is that designer stores will cater to everybody. A sale is a sale. And they have seen it all. A lot of women buy mens clothes, and a lot of men buy womens clothes. No big deal. It seems that discount department stores are hard places for those seeking clothes for the opposite sex. Just search around. You don't have to buy at the first store you go to. Abd you don't have to shop at the most expensive store. I like to go to stores where they make me fel comfortable. I'm not sure where you're from. But in canada, we don't have the same stores as the US, or the UK.