Commercial Or Womanhood Support ?

Gudulitooo

Last month the magazine Marie Claire published in its french edition a shooting of male celebrities wearing ... red stiletto pumps. They claim their initiative supports the cause of equality between men and women.

The comments hesitate between supporting the effort (a few) or denounce a pure money oriented action (many more), especially with the magazine's sponsor for the event - a shoe seller, and also because this magazine isn't really concerned with promoting all stereotypes about women the rest of the year (displaying nearly anorexic models, beauty products, etc.).

Some links : http://www.marieclai...0409,685515.asp

And here some comments : http://blog.francetv...ses-pompes.html

I remember the spanish edition already published something like that but I don't remember the link with supporting any cause.

At least they kicked in the ants' nest.

What do you think ?

mareiclaire1.pdf

The red shoes were very attractive, no matter who was wearing them. I think it was good publicity. The more that people see men in heels, the less "odd" it becomes. People get used to fashion. It's that first jolt they have to get over. Thanks for sharing the magazine photos. Steve

Yep, good publicity it is in the photo's. I'll have to read the rest later. Just read it. Outstanding article, Thanks!

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Skimming over the photos and main captions it came across as a positive portrayal of men in heels, even if it may have been commercially motivated. I'm very conscious of the fact that while I might be wearing my heels with respect for equality between men and women, others might perceive it in a more biased way. Sometimes it seems that feminism has done more for giving women the right to behave like men (i.e. that masculinity is still the aspirational value) but relatively little to advance social respect for femininity which is still perceived as weak, passive and subservient (quite wrongly in my opinion). Much as I'd like to think that my wearing heels breaks stereotypes and declares "don't look at people superficially", in reality it might simply reinforce stereotypes and superficiality in some peoples reactions.

If you like it, wear it.

I suspect that the aim of this thinly veiled ad campaign is not to increase their male customer base, but to kid potential female customers that they care about sexual equality. Whether it will work is a moot point. Fashion equality comes low on the list in a world where a girl gets shot for wanting to go to school.

Gudulitooo, I read the article by the Marie Claire editor, but not the comments as I don't need analysis of what I have just read. I believe this is both a commercial, it does appear in print media and advertisers pay the big bills of the print media, and an editorial on the state of equality between women and men. Women in many nations are paid less than men doing the same job and that's a disparity worth eliminating. Women are encouraged to make forays into things that are male-dominated but men are dissuaded from delving into things are female-dominated such as articles of clothing that women believe is their sole domain and that's a disparity worth eliminating. I think the editor is pointing out this disparity between the sexes in a country (France) that is normally ahead of the curve when it comes to social conscience. IF a woman has the right to shave her head to show solidarity with me in the fight against testicular cancer don't I have the right to wear high heels to show my solidarity with her in the fight against breast cancer?? I believe this was the intended directon of the editor's comments in the guise of a shoeseller's advertisement. I didn't read the Spanish version, only the French, but this is what I have discerned from it. A votre service. HappyinHeels

Thank you all for your answers.

HappyinHeels, I agree with you I don't want to judge their action.

I made a mistake, the comments I wanted to share are there : http://www.rue89.com...le-talon-239437 (click to show all masked comments).

I posted the link to the comments and a small homemade summary for my fellow members here that have a hard time translating. No harm intended.

These red stiletto pumps seems to come from the "sexy shoes for the bedroom only" part of specialized store. Their sponsor - Sarenza - do not even carry such shoes, they only have comfy shoes for my grandma. This is the french situation regarding large size shoes : the french reseller only propose sexy / bedroom or granny shoes. For day to day footwear, have to buy it oversees.

So my personal guess is : they put these very pair on these poor men because they are available.

What a pity, even in the spanish edition they had a variety of common models.

I suspect that the aim of this thinly veiled ad campaign is not to increase their male customer base, but to kid potential female customers that they care about sexual equality. Whether it will work is a moot point. Fashion equality comes low on the list in a world where a girl gets shot for wanting to go to school.

You're totally right megan, sexual equality goes far deeper than fashion equality.

If you like it, wear it.