Music

I'm a huge music fan. I write my own too but purely because it's fun and I have no intention of trying to make a living out of it. Been there and I've realised that one is going to actually make a living working for other musicians than trying to peddle ones own musical creations - however good you think they might be. So, I was just wondering what everyone's listening to right now? There's not a right lot out there at the moment, all the big labels have invested in one hit wonder x-factor style soulless drivel which is great for the publishers cos they'll make a mint using that shite on adverts etc but no good for discerning music listener! One good album I got last year was Bombay Bicycles Club's - A different kind of fix which is bloody awesome. Saw them live on a tour I was working in the spring and they made an impression so I bought the album when I got home. I also discovered My Morning Jacket and Mark Lanagan's latest offering which is not his best but still has some golden moments...

I'm a huge music fan. I write my own too but purely because it's fun and I have no intention of trying to make a living out of it. Been there and I've realised that one is going to actually make a living working for other musicians than trying to peddle ones own musical creations - however good you think they might be.

You would be absolutely floored or SHOCKED to know that many of todays ' main stream artists ' have about a quarter or more of ' their music ' written for them. Some come up with words/lyrics, some can program a beat on a synth, but MOST of them havent a clue as to what Standard Notation or tonal structures/modes/Harmonic/Major/Minor nor the theory behind ANY of it.

If they look good and can run through an ' auto tune ' unit, they will sell. Tits and ass or a washboard is all they really need.

So, I was just wondering what everyone's listening to right now? There's not a right lot out there at the moment, all the big labels have invested in one hit wonder x-factor style soulless drivel which is great for the publishers cos they'll make a mint using that shite on adverts etc but no good for discerning music listener!

Im listening to some old school Scorpions as I need to learn 2 of their songs when I get the chance.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I go to a social club, (like a pub, but only members ot theit guests are allowed) and some of the young members kept putting on the free computer jukebox Rhianna and some rubbishabout Gangland styl.e. They said they needed something they could dance to, so my friend Lee and I showed them you can dance to Ian Dury (Sweet Gene Vincent), The Cure (Lovecats) and Blondie(Picture This). I had a whale of a time and felt thirty years younger. ILK, with Fatfuzz joining in, might we get some more Name That Tune? I was enjoying that. Megan x

ILK, with Fatfuzz joining in, might we get some more Name That Tune? I was enjoying that.

Megan x

I might have to do a few others as I do have some time this weekend ;)

I go to a social club, (like a pub, but only members ot theit guests are allowed) and some of the young members kept putting on the free computer jukebox Rhianna and some rubbishabout Gangland styl.e. They said they needed something they could dance to, so my friend Lee and I showed them you can dance to Ian Dury (Sweet Gene Vincent), The Cure (Lovecats) and Blondie(Picture This). I had a whale of a time and felt thirty years younger.

ILK, with Fatfuzz joining in, might we get some more Name That Tune? I was enjoying that.

Megan x

How's that work then? Sounds like fun...

How's that work then? Sounds like fun...

Basically, I take small tracks of music and post them. They have all been on guitar thus far but I MIGHT dig out the old DX7 and do some keyboards.

People then try to ' name that tune ' ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ilikekicks, I actually thought it was a much higher figure than that. A good friend of mine is an independent artist in Vancouver and she is a singer/songwriter and she figures no better than five or six singers of every 100 write their own songs. The basic formula seems to be if you're a guy then you have to GQ-type looks or be able to swoon the teenagers and if you're a girl then knock them over with sky-high heels, lots of skin, and be able to hit those high notes. But few of them understand music theory or how any of it works together just like you said. It's all about the illusion of talent and not the real understandig of the medium. HappyinHeels

ilikekicks,

I actually thought it was a much higher figure than that.

You might be correct. I only know from the production/instrument side of it from working my brother. I dont know exactly whom writes what but I have seen quite a few ' named ' people whom walk in, look at whats en scribed and say ' Who wrote this? ' because they have never sen it before.

A good friend of mine is an independent artist in Vancouver and she is a singer/songwriter and she figures no better than five or six singers of every 100 write their own songs.

It wouldnt surprise me if her numbers were dead on.

The basic formula seems to be if you're a guy then you have to GQ-type looks or be able to swoon the teenagers and if you're a girl then knock them over with sky-high heels, lots of skin, and be able to hit those high notes. But few of them understand music theory or how any of it works together just like you said. It's all about the illusion of talent and not the real understandig of the medium. HappyinHeels

I dont watch ' Americas got Talent ' or any of those programs but I have seen a few you tube videos and some of the contestants there do have good voices. However, could they actually write their own compositions to go with the words behind what they are singing or take a blank sheet of paper and come up with something?

I recently did an 8 song demo with a bass player and drummer that Ive been working with for the last 10 years. A female vocalist/associate wanted to do a project and it took us 8 months to get it all working/done and we are still tweaking some things.

I just had an eye-opener myself. I worked with my 25 year old Vietnamese cousin for 4 hours a couple of days ago, and we recorded an English language K-pop song with her on vocals, and me on everything else. I think both of us had a blast doing this project, but to be quite honest, her voice is pretty weak. But man, she is hot! I can totally see how you can make a phenomenon out of a non-phenomenon. Our recording is a big hit with the family. Imagine if I actually knew what I was doing. . .

Thats just it tho MlRoseplant. ANYONE can sound like a pro with the right processing. There are MANY people whom play guitar and we would all say ' they cant play at all '. Plug them into the right amp and give them a better guitar and they are the next VanHalen. To the reverse, there are many people out there whom have the most miserable of voices, they are processed, then paid quite a bit. Right now, Im listening to some old Ramones, SexPistols and DRI stuff off vinal. ;)

The singer/songwriter thing pretty much began in the sixties. There is something special about a wonderful singer singing their own words, perhaps because of the rarity of someone having both a good voice and the ability to write. It's not necessarily a bad thing for someone to sing someone else's words though. Has anyone ever done a worse version of a Dylan song than Dylan?. Rod Stewart too, the master of the cover. Do you think I'm sexy, ugh.

Joni Mitchell's line in A Case of You 'Just before our love got lost you said...' reduces me to tears in an instant. With her wonderful fragile voice you can hear every bit of pain.

Oh dear.