Wearing High Heels With Dresses

Heel-Lover

Heel-Lover: Very true, most people try to hide the fact they are taking a picture, when I suspect quite a few of us would help them out getting a better shot if asked.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Hi Rockpup,

yes thats me alright...

Catching up with some friends on Friday....

Its a small world....

I just wear what I feel comfortable in. Its a shame it wasn't a better shot.

Cheers

Heel-Lover

Well, you certainly did look surpremely comfortable and at ease in your outfit. Bravo to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 2 weeks later...

I do also like to wear a dress and skirts when wearing heels. It fun matching up a dress to go with your heels. I go for black dresses most of the time

Loves HiHeels,

Saw your post on a second pass through this thread and I also don't like my elbows so I try to look for dresses with half or three-quarter sleeves. That way the only part of my arm that shows is the bottom 6' inches and the wrists. You cover the elbows but allow jewelry like nice dress watches and bracelets to show. I prefer dresses that are above the knee no matter what the sleeve length and heels above 5.5" whether pumps, boots, or wedges if I'm going to wear a dress as I think my legs are my strong suit. You'll find what works best for you soon enough. HappyinHeels

I did try to buy a long sleeve dress but the sleeves didn't fit . Also bought another one about a month ago much better but the sleeves still ride up.The problem could be I have broad shoulders. Have to buy a Jacket instead. I don't do jewelry.

I did try to buy a long sleeve dress but the sleeves didn't fit . Also bought another one about a month ago much better but the sleeves still ride up.The problem could be I have broad shoulders. Have to buy a Jacket instead. I don't do jewelry.

Perhaps you could try a sweater dress which looks to be less fitted than other types of dresses.

Perhaps you could try a sweater dress which looks to be less fitted than other types of dresses.

I don't know about that. I've seen some pretty fitted sweater dresses.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I don't know about that. I've seen some pretty fitted sweater dresses.

You have a point there. I guess it all depends on the style. With fall here and winter on the way, I'll be on the lookout for a sweater dress to wear on a future outing, something in black I can pair with tights and my Pleaser knee boots.

Again, why do guys think they have to look like a woman to wear a dress? I'm sorry, but that's a peculiar mindset that makes absolutely NO sense.

Jeff I couldn't agree more. We talk so much about wanting fashion freedom yet we hide the fact that we are guys that like to dress different. Until we step up and say look just because I have a twig and two giggle berries doesn't mean I have to be stuck in the same old boring stuff. Will we ever be able to wear whatever we want.

Jeff I couldn't agree more. We talk so much about wanting fashion freedom yet we hide the fact that we are guys that like to dress different. Until we step up and say look just because I have a twig and two giggle berries doesn't mean I have to be stuck in the same old boring stuff. Will we ever be able to wear whatever we want.

I agree, that's why I'll often wear a skirt or dress at home but lean towards a more androgynous look with my heels to go out... I feel like I have to tone down the femininity just to try and ensure I come across as a guy with an adventurous fashion sense. An interesting parallel is that many women in the workplace feel they have to tone down their femininity to be taken seriously. It's two sides of the same coin, that femininity isn't valued and respected in society regardless of who is expressing that femininity. That's what motivates me to try to wear my heels and outfits with an air of respect for myself and for femininity.

On the dress issue, it's also the case that different dresses look good or bad on different women. Sure a guy shouldn't have to "pass" as a woman to wear a dress, but he should at least make the effort to wear a dress that fits and suits his body shape. We can't redefine what looks good if we don't look good. Just wearing any old dress and looking comical may well just entrench onlookers deeper into their stereotypes.

If you like it, wear it.

Indeed! As freestylers, we should be willing to put our money where our mouths are. Women who wear flannel shirts, jeans and Doc Maartens don't worry about wanting to "pass" as men or how they're perceived by the public, so why should we care what people think when they see us in skirts or dresses? It's just clothes for Pete's sake!

I agree, that's why I'll often wear a skirt or dress at home but lean towards a more androgynous look with my heels to go out... I feel like I have to tone down the femininity just to try and ensure I come across as a guy with an adventurous fashion sense. An interesting parallel is that many women in the workplace feel they have to tone down their femininity to be taken seriously. It's two sides of the same coin, that femininity isn't valued and respected in society regardless of who is expressing that femininity. That's what motivates me to try to wear my heels and outfits with an air of respect for myself and for femininity.

On the dress issue, it's also the case that different dresses look good or bad on different women. Sure a guy shouldn't have to "pass" as a woman to wear a dress, but he should at least make the effort to wear a dress that fits and suits his body shape. We can't redefine what looks good if we don't look good. Just wearing any old dress and looking comical may well just entrench onlookers deeper into their stereotypes.

I couldn't agree more! That's why I take public dress wearing VERY seriously as it's extremely important to look tasteful, stylish and proper, not clownish if seen in something ill-fitting or inappropriate. We shouldn't have to worry about having to "pass" as women, simply because we choose to wear dresses, we should worry about looking our best. That's all.