Can Wearing Hh's Chance Your Foot Shape?

Curt

I wore western boots, platform shoes and hh boots for years. Now it hurts my ankles to wear flats. Even my running shoes have heel lifts on the inside. Does anyone else have this prolem?

The only change that I noticed in my years of wearing high heels is when I'm not wearing them. When in flats or barefoot my toes will sometimes cramp. A flex of the toes into the high heel position always eliminates the cramps. I think this is a great example of how the body acclimates to wearing high heels. So yes, they can change the shape of your feet and more.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I've developed bunions. I don't care, since they don't hurt or cause any pain, but I do have one pair of strappy platform sandals that would feel and look better if the bunions weren't there. I alternate heels and flats, and the heels I wear aren't higher than 3 to 3.5 inches, so my lower leg and foot muscles and tendons don't seem to be any the worse for wear. Steve

too much of a good thing can give problems. So best would be to vary shoe types and heel hights wich at the same time is a good excuus to buy more shoes!

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

• 3 weeks later...

The answer to this question is "absolutely."

There are a myriad of problems associated with wearing high heels, including hammertoes, bunions, neuromas, corns, calluses, tight heel cords, metartarsalgia, stress fractures.

But the problems caused by high heels doesn't stop there. When your foot is put in an unnatural position, somewhat to slightly different ares of your knees, hips, and even your backs are put into slightly different positions, and areas of the bones, cartilage, and tendons which never evolved to take that stress are now thrust into the limelight, resulting in conditions which, left untreated, will only worsen, often to the point of permanency, and sometimes to the point of permanent disability.

Does this mean this will happen to all of us if we keep wearing heels? Not necessarily. Some of us would develop feet problems if we did nothing but walk barefoot on the sand and through grassy fields. Others of us will be able to wear heels until we're in our 90s.

Many of you will respond to this saying, "I've been wearing 4", 5", and even 6" heels for years and my feet are just fine!" The only thing that proves is that you're either an exception to the norm, so pat yourself on the back and consider yourself lucky, if not abnormal, or that you're fibbing to yourself and the rest of us.

Eventually, however, all of us will suffer at least some consequences of our heel-wearing.

Don't count on the docs to patch you up, either. Most of the consequences involve various forms of bone and tissue growth abnormalities. While reconstructive surgery is an option, it's expensive and never as "good as new" as avoiding the injury or condition in the first place.

The best defense is a good offense, and the best way to avoid these problems is to avoid wearing heels. Obviously, those of us here aren't going to do that, but we can do the next best thing: Limit our wear of heels to less than 1/3rd of our time on our feet, and get plenty of exercise and sound nutrition while flat-footed.

Exercise: Get your heart rate up to around 85% of your max (220-age) for half an hour at a time, three times per week. Walking while wearing a properly fit and flat athletic shoe will do wonders. I live in Colorado, so hike one trail or another at least once a week for an hour or two.

Nutrition: Skip processed foods and stick to fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, some dairy, and a moderate amount of lean meats, and make sure you eat one or more helpings of all of the following foods each week, as they're well-known among nutritionists for their ability to fight a wide range of diseases and conditions: carrots, beans (red/kidney/pinto), broccoli, dandelion, spinach, red cabbage, kale, kiwi, cherries, guavas, watercress, onions (shallots / yellow).

Supplements: Most herbal supplements are bunk, but taking a well-known, peer-reviewed vitamin, such as GNC's Men's Mega once a day will help round out those nutritional deficiencies all of us are missing in our diets. It won't correct crappy nutrition, though, so please pay attention to that!

I alternate heels and flats, and the heels I wear aren't higher than 3 to 3.5 inches, so my lower leg and foot muscles and tendons don't seem to be any the worse for wear.

Smart man! The rest of us should follow his lead.

And mine. If you don't think this works, think again -- I hike 14ers, for fun!

It works. :)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 4 months later...

oh thats just not right, yes they can change your foot. pumpcat, we have something else in common. flats hurt my right ankle, too hi a heel hurts (or it can get stiff) my left ankle. like the boots i have ontoday. we i get up, it can take a few steps for my left ankle to losen up, then its not too bad. i can tell my feet conform to pointed/womans shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, my last reply was not very good. Yes, I can tell my foot has changed, and for the better. My big toe no longer pushes Out the side of my shoes. I hated that. When I take my shoes off, my feet kinda look more Like a womans. But as soon as I stand back up. It is back to its normal shape. I also believe the shape of a foot makes it easier to wear a pointed shoe. My wife has A kind of square foot, which can make her smaller toes cramped. A friend has an angled Foot. She can wear very very pointed shoes, and you never she toes bulging out of the Sides.