HH mens shoes at Seaford Museum

at9

The Seaford Museum is a wondefully eclectic collection and well worth a visit: http://www.seafordmuseum.co.uk/ Spotted these shoes there. No idea of their age or provenance. Apologies for lousy camera phone pictures taken under fairly poor light when I wasn't strictly allowed to be taking photos anyway.

post-2582-133522977568_thumb.jpg

post-2582-133522977575_thumb.jpg

I must look in there sometime, at9. That must be about the most exciting thing to do or see in the area - as the old saying goes, 'Newhaven for the continent; Seaford for the incontinent'!) [Note for the uninitiated: Newhaven is a grubby little port on the East Sussex coast from whence the occasional ferry departs on a tedious four-hour crossing to Dieppe. Seaford is a neighbouring characterless dormitory town, largely populated by the elderly.]

I can't see any other reason to visit Seaford. Eastbourne, a little further along the coast, is often called "God's waiting room". The average age of the population must be amongst the highest in the country.

As a kid I used to holiday behind the cliffs at Newhaven. I did enjoy it and had fair bit of fun. I think our last visit was when I was 10 circa 1965, as a late teen did a day visit maybe 8 years on. Many changes. As for the descriptions. Absolutely spot on! Incidental the pictures look like my current formal shoes but with laces. Al

post-14144-133522977669_thumb.jpg

post-14144-133522977694_thumb.jpg

I can't see any other reason to visit Seaford.

Eastbourne, a little further along the coast, is often called "God's waiting room". The average age of the population must be amongst the highest in the country.

I usually associate that description with Bexhill (between Eastbourne and Hastings) but they are all part of the Costa Geriatrica. Hastings (and neighbouring St Leonards) is of course much more youthful and vibrant; the local Post Office pays out mainly unemployment and sickness benefits rather than pensions.

As a kid I used to holiday behind the cliffs at Newhaven. I did enjoy it and had fair bit of fun. I think our last visit was when I was 10 circa 1965, as a late teen did a day visit maybe 8 years on.

Many changes.

As for the descriptions. Absolutely spot on!

Incidental the pictures look like my current formal shoes but with laces.

Al

Ah! When I worked in Newhaven (1975-78 ), there were rumours circulating that a young lad had actually holidayed there (and more than once!) in the early 60s. I recall too that he was believed to show a keen interest in women's footwear, spying on them from a lair behind the cliffs. A complete myth, of course.

Ah! When I worked in Newhaven (1975-78 ), there were rumours circulating that a young lad had actually holidayed there (and more than once!) in the early 60s. I recall too that he was believed to show a keen interest in women's footwear, spying on them from a lair behind the cliffs. A complete myth, of course.

Ho Ho nice one Puffer.

That's the fun kind of thing I get from my team at work ;).

Regrettably I hadn't established that level of interest yet so it must have been???????????????????????

You? :) up behind the caravans? B)

I always found the ridge with the gun emplacements quite eerie late evening not that I was allowed outside the boundary officially.:wavey:.

Al

I take it the Puffer will not applying for a job at the East Sussex tourist bureau. :wavey:

Probably not, TBG! But I lived in the county (Brighton) for 27 years until 2000 and my sons still do. A great area to live in and enjoy - with very few exceptions. And there's not much wrong with being in God's Waiting Room; we all have to snuff it sometime and there are many worse ways to prepare for the inevitable.

But I lived in the county (Brighton) for 27 years until 2000 and my sons still do. A great area to live in and enjoy - with very few exceptions.

But Brighton (and Hove actually) are not really in Sussex at all. They are London-on-Sea:smile: Just a week ago on a wonderfully sunny day my partner and I walked from Brighton to Lewes over the Downs. Not wearing HH:smile: Lewes is another interesting town. Not too many places have a castle just off the High Street.

I never even knew that Seaford had a museum! The times I drove through it (without stopping)... Mind you, I did once see a man in heels there ironically. I was going to be in Eastbourne this weekend but had to cancel unfortunately... or should I say fortunately?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hmm... Why should our choice of footwear be in a museum? I'm still young!

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.