Wearing heels in public - It's getting better !!!

SF

A few weeks ago my wife and I bought a pair of matching heels (sandals). They are a pair of Nine West slides with a wooden sole (similar to a pair of scholls), and have a 2 - 2 1/2 inch heel. I had planned to wear them while out of town where there would be less of a chance of running into someome I / we know. This past Sunday the wife and I went shopping all day in our local area. She was wearing her new sandals and I figured that "today was the day" and put on my matching pair. We spent the whole day shopping and running errands at different stores, and with one exception no one noticed or commented. A 10 -12 year old girl with her mom stared and stared and whispered among themselves - presumably about our matching shoes. We even ran across two people that we knew, this was my biggest fear, one couple said nothing, the other said we looked "cute" in our matching shoes. Overall, it was a very relaxing and confidence building trip. My wife and I both laughed about the trip, we both had fun in our heels!! I plan on doing it again soon! SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I am constantly amazed how accepting most people are. There are a few jerks out there that might give you an annoying reaction, but most reactions (if any) are positive. This probably proofs the point that has been made often on this board that the fear is largely in our head.

You "hit the nail on the head," most of the time our greatest fear is in our heads. I have been wearing heels in public for about 4 years now and each time out I get more confident. I can remember my first few times, I was essentially "terrified" but kept telling myelf "I can do this!" Only a few close friends know I love to wear heels, the friends we ran across while out shopping did not know I wore heels - guess they know now!! SF

• 1 year later...

Wow... My first post regarding this topic was 2 years ago last June... Since that time I have been wearing heels in public more and more not only while out of town on vacation, but locally in my home town, with and without my wife. Yesterday and today the wife was busy, so I went out runnig errands and just shopping around in a pair of black slides with a 2 1/2 inch blade heel that I got at Payless (wife also has a matching pair). Went to the bank, bookstore, clothing store, market, post offfice, gas station, all in heels. Must have run across 100+ people and as far as I can tell only one person even noticed. At one of the clothing stores (there were 4 or 5 female clerks) no one seemed to notice me but when I left, one of the clerks left right behind me to "adjust" one of the displays they had outside. As I walked away, I looked back, she was looking at me smiling. I smiled back and continued on my way. At the market, the store was very open (no place to hide) and several folks - male and female - did notice my shoes but when they looked they did not react at all. There were two gals in their late 20's shopping together, one was wearing a cute pair of heels. I walked past them several times and they did not even notice. Another older gal about my age (mid 40's) was aslo shopping in a pair of heels almost exactly like mine, I had occasion to walk past her a few times as well, and she did not seem to notice - or care - either. Guys, get out there and do it..... It's FUN !!!! SF

I've been of the belief that what we experience while out in public wearing heels is a mix of acceptance, apathy and politeness. More and more people accept the unusual in our society today, others are too wrapped up in their personal lives to see beyond their noses, never mind what we have on our feet while the rest have manners and are too polite to raise any sort of stink. It's that one-half of one percent of the populace who feels the need to say something derogatory or insulting, but they're just words, and if you steel yourself against them, words can't hurt you. So, just keep at it, SF! :D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have noticed that I get different reactions on what combinations of shoes/clothes I wear. If i just wear high heeled boots with jeans (men's or not too obvious women's) people seem to be rather accepting. i guess they treat it like a peculiar fashion choice. But If I combine my heeling with even one other touch of feminine-like attributes, like a bracelet, the reaction is much more distant. In the latter case, I get much less positive comments. Maybe multiple items of women's attire convinces people that one is into crossdressing, which many people may find much less approachable. Does anyone have similar experiences ?

SF:-) Congrats with your success on street-heeling. I have only been street-heeling since December 2003. After reading and joining the HH Place, I figured that if all of you guys could do it, then why not me. So I got myself a pair of boot-cut ladies jeans and a pair of Harley-Davidson calf-high black boots with a 3¼" block heel and a square toe box and out went I and my wife to street-heel. My first time out, I sweat my shirt clear through as I was so nervous. Then I found that every time I went out I became more at ease and was more relaxed and really began enjoying myself more. The last time my wife and I went grocery shopping and were leaving with our cart full, she noticed 2 girls in their early 20's leaving the same time as us. The wife noticed one girl poking the other and pointing down to my heels. At about that time, both girls were at the door and beside me when I noticed one cupping her hand to her mouth and whispering to the other girl. As we all entered the outside foyer, we exited through one door and the girls exited through the other door and went about their way and we went ours. When we were out of earshot, the wife told me that I had been made. I had on a new pair of black cafe-high boots with a 3½" flat-back heel and a slightly pointed snip toe box that I had been breaking in at home for a couple of weeks and this was the first time I had chosen to street-heel in them. When standing still only a ½" of the heel showed and when walking much more showed and the girls probably noticed the sound of the heels on the smooth hard floor. We shop at that store frequently and this is the second time that I had been made there. Every time that I street-heel, I wear a different pair of boots. Nothing was said by us to the girls and they didn't say anything back to us either. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have noticed that I get different reactions on what combinations of shoes/clothes I wear. If i just wear high heeled boots with jeans (men's or not too obvious women's) people seem to be rather accepting. i guess they treat it like a peculiar fashion choice.

Well, I've worn black boots with blade heels with jeans, especially the flared variety, and while a few people here and there did the double take thing, I've never had any problems. Again, it's not so much a matter of people accepting what you wear, more like they don't say anything about it. There is a difference. Still, it's good to know that you've been able to enjoy your outings without any trouble.

Right you are, Jeff. As I've posted earlier somewhere on this forum, its discourteous these days to openly and antagonistically critize another person's sexual orientation or manner of dress. While your appearance in public wearing high heels might get a lot of curious looks, not many people will actually come right and say rude, nasty things.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba136:-) I hope that you are right, Bubba. Mickey68 doesn't want to have to hear any rude remarks from anyone while we are out heeling as she certainly doesn't want the embarrassment. She has stated that the first time that happens she won't be along with me and that I will be alone from then on. I surely hope that this doesn't happen as she and I enjoy doing this together and it just wouldn't be the same doing it alone. She doesn't mind the silent looks and tells me after we are out of ear-shot about it if I haven't noticed it on my own. We have been discussing it in order for her to be more comfortable if this occurs, but I think we have a long way to go on the subject. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Not to worry DawnHH....So.West PA.....home of bratwurst, beer and polk music. It's bound to happen. One advantage of having Mickey68 with you is that people that are inclined to make rude comments will be more reticent if they see you in the company of a lady. :D

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Bubba136:-) I sure hope that you are right about people being more careful what they say to you if you are with a lady. Only time will tell. Remember---we are still fairly new at street-heeling at this point. Cheers-- Dawn HH

Today was my first day out with lady shoes. Not a big deal as they ar similar to the masculine ones, except a block hell well over 2" and over decorated. I did not notice any reaction at all so I shall do one step ahead soon, and shall keep going with these ones.

I have noticed that I get different reactions on what combinations of shoes/clothes I wear. If i just wear high heeled boots with jeans (men's or not too obvious women's) people seem to be rather accepting. i guess they treat it like a peculiar fashion choice. But If I combine my heeling with even one other touch of feminine-like attributes, like a bracelet, the reaction is much more distant. In the latter case, I get much less positive comments. Maybe multiple items of women's attire convinces people that one is into crossdressing, which many people may find much less approachable. Does anyone have similar experiences ?

Oh, yes...

Wearing heels as a man, with masculine attire, is generally seen as a slight personal deviation from the accepted norm. Wearing a a non-feminine skirt, without heels, is seen as a lesser deviation. Wearing any combination of traditional women's clothing is seen as cross-dressing, regardless of whether you're sporting a full beard, or not, and crossdressing is not held in high regard among the general populace of any nationality.

Oh, yes...

Wearing heels as a man, with masculine attire, is generally seen as a slight personal deviation from the accepted norm. Wearing a a non-feminine skirt, without heels, is seen as a lesser deviation. Wearing any combination of traditional women's clothing is seen as cross-dressing, regardless of whether you're sporting a full beard, or not, and crossdressing is not held in high regard among the general populace of any nationality.

I found that even a small thing like a bracelet seems to make a difference. Boots with heels, in particular block heels under jeans still have a bit of manly character to them. In the end cuban heels on cowboy boots can be easily 2". But once you wear a bracelet or something like that, people see it very much as "crossing" over to the women's side. Of course, nothing wrong with that. but I do believe most people react differently.

Highheellover:-) You stated that when you get a pair of high heels, you will wear them in public. Good for you. It sounds like you are just starting out wearing heels and when you get a pair that it will be your first pair. Am I right on that? Welcome to the HH Place Megaforums. Keep posting and tell us all a little about yourself and how you feel about wearing heels. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Highheellover:-) There is nothing in the world like buying your first pair of heels and knowing that they are yours and yours alone. And then slowly slipping your feet into them and feeling a perfect fit. Then rising up to your full height, standing in them and feeling the heel height beneath you and taking your very first steps in them, looking how fabulous they look on your feet and feeling your feet slowly form themselves to the shape of the shoe. O-o-o-o-o! There just isn't any other feeling than putting on your first pair of your own high heels. Keep us all posted on your progress as you break them in and begin to walk around in them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Just spent an enjoyable afternoon wandering around Oxford Street after a meeting. Bought a nice pair of shoes with a 3" narrow heel from Shellys which I wore with my business suit. Very comfortable. I was a bit self conscious about the noise for the first little while but then got used to it. Ended up having a good chat with two women on the train who were themselves wearing heels and were interested as to why I was. Nice afternoon all in all.

Sounds like you enjoyed a very positive outing, Nikk! I'm sure it must've be a wonderful experience for you! Congratulations! :D

Nikk:-) Some congratulations from me also. It must have been very satifying to you to meet a couple of open-minded women on the train who were curious enough to ask you why a man was wearing heels. You helped spread the word and the more we all do this will really help our cause to spread. And the best communication is by word-of-mouth. Cheers--- Dawn HH