First proper public heeling

dbert

I decided to take an early lunch break at work today as I needed to go and sort out some immunisations I needed for a trip coming up. Rather than go straight to the doctors from work I popped home and changed into my long jeans and heels, just because I wanted a proper public outing in them (although with long jeans you can't really see). After sorting out an appointment to discuss the immunisations next week I wanted to go somewhere else. I drove a few miles down the road to a big shopping centre (the Mall in Camberley for anyone interested), and thought I'd brave walking around there for a few minutes. It was scary to start with, will anyone notice, is the heel noise very noticable? I then saw a couple of shoe shops and thought I'd go and have a look around. I went into Faith and had a look in their sale shoes, but they only had small sizes. I really just wanted to try something on, so that was a shame. I then went into Barratts next door. Again a big sale rack of boots, but again I couldn't see anything in my size. I went to find a sales assistant and got her to go and check if there were any in size 9 for me, but there weren't. It was funny how much more confidence I had shopping for heels while wearing heels. Once they see you looking, and then notice you're wearing heels, it gets over that awkwardness of who they are for. A great fun lunchtime, and now I really need that trip out to Oxford street one day to try on lots of heels in the various shops, just for the fun of it. :smile: I had no reactions at all. Most people don't seem to notice anything going on around them as many others have commented here. After a while you get to the stage where you want someone to notice, just to see their reaction. You're all right that with every trip out it gets easier, but that also means I want to go out in heels all the time. :)

DBert:-) Congrats on your first outing in heels. You have got the right idea now and of course you want to go out in heels all of the time as you should. Don't stop now and continue to build your confidence of wearing heels in public. No one will give a lick just what you have on your feet. Have fun doing so. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Well done for you dbert!!! Glad you had fun in Camberley. It's a bit too close to where I live so I won't go there in heels myself. There are plenty of decent charity shops though, and they're always a good source of decent heels at very reasonable prices. The Oracle in Reading also has a branch of Faith which sadly is quite small, but there's a great Dune. Also, Schuh have a branch in the main shopping street. Well done again, keep on heeling!!!

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Congratulations on your outing. I can tell by the enthusiasm of your post that you had a good and fun time on your outing. The more times out, the more fun it will be. Good luck on future outings.

Congratulations on your first outing. I noticed the same as you that most people are either very discreet or do not notice. Once in a while I will see someone staring at my feet. It is a lot of fun. Hope you continue to enjoy the experience.

I couldn't resist it, I had the afternoon off work so took a trip to Oxford Street for a wander. Rather than wear my jeans I wore work clothes - smart suit trousers and a dress shirt. I took heels with me and wasn't sure when to change into them. I got an opportunity on the train so did. My work trousers aren't as long as my jeans, so the bottom inch of heel was pretty clearly visible if you looked. On the underground I got some looks, then a few more from some people on Oxford street. I went into a few shops, and tried on shoes in a couple. I think the next step is to wear similar clothes but with a more obvious heel (these were 3.5" heel ankle boots). A question for others - where do you go to find larger size heels to try on? size 9 seems best is some shops, but I need a 10 in others as the 9's were too small. Where stocks size 10, or runs bigger in the 9s?

• 1 month later...

I haven't been out public heeling for quite some time now, but fancy a walk around the shopping centre during the working day tomorrow. The question is, do I go for brave option 1 or lame option 2 (work trousers or long jeans) with my new Nine West ankle boots. Option 1 looks much better imo, but is very obvious. But then the heel sound is very loud anyway. Opinions?

Try again with photos this time!

I haven't been out public heeling for quite some time now, but fancy a walk around the shopping centre during the working day tomorrow. The question is, do I go for brave option 1 or lame option 2 (work trousers or long jeans) with my new Nine West ankle boots. Option 1 looks much better imo, but is very obvious. But then the heel sound is very loud anyway. Opinions?

post-23272-133522912218_thumb.jpg

post-23272-133522912225_thumb.jpg

DBert:-) Go with what makes you the most comfortable when you go on your next public outing. Let us all know just what you feel and what transpires when you do. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I vote for the shorter boot cut pants. The look is sharp and fashionable. The long jeans look baggie and sloppy and don't do the shoes justice.

Steve

I agree, 100%..

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

I like the 2nd pic, thats how I wear my boots with jeans (both platforms & lower heel ones):)

DBert, The jeans look scruffy, the trousers look much much better, nice clean lines. Could be a tad longer 1/2" say, so they just break on the fron of the shoe a little more, but definitely a better look 9as other have said). No point in wearing scruffy clothing, it really isnt a fashion statement. The clean lines present a much better look. Sadly there are no mens bootcut formal trousers in the shops, so look at the womens trousers, you will be pleasantly surprised how well they do fit (once you get used to no pockets and the left hand zipper). The hang much better with heels too. They should after all as they are cut to do so. The choice of heel is fine, maybe a tad thin for my own preference as I think the thicker heel (smallest being a 1" D shape IMHO) is much more in keeping with a masculine look. Far more stable than a stiletto, but not too clumpy. Nice choice. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Thanks for the replies - I did go with your choice, and it was the right choice I agree. Here is a picture of the outfit I wore this lunchtime - black trousers, pink / white shirt, Nine West boots. The heels are much noiser than the other pair of ankle boots I have public heeled in before, and I got a fair few looks. I parked at the shopping mall, walked down three flights of stairs to the shops, and walked around for 25mins or so. I didn't have lots of time, so didn't stop in any shops to browse, but walked through House of Fraser and Faith, and got a nice smile from female shop assistants in both when they looked down from the sound my heels were making. Blatant heeling in the middle of the day is much more fun than trying to hide them under baggy jeans.

post-23272-133522912287_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

DBert, AMEN brother! So right. If you are going to do it, then head up and work it. After all this is the confidence thing that you are demonstrating. You look right and comfortable then whilst you will get those looks, it will be of surprise initially and then the thought may well enter their minds "Looks kinda good" or similar. Looking well dressed and incorporating heels in a sensible manner as part of the overall look is exactly the way to get others thinking that they could well do the same. Kudos - rep point to you. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Congratulations dbert on the heeling. Great looking outfit :):P. One day when my wife is more comfortable with the idea of me in heels I'll head out into the big wide world.

Well I've been enjoying wearing my nine west boots out and about a fair bit the past few days with jeans (see attached photo). Day time visits to the supermarket, and around a shopping centre today. No strange looks, no comments. It seems the more confident you get wearing heels with guy clothes the less anyone notices or cares.

post-23272-133522913238_thumb.jpg

It seems the more confident you get wearing heels with guy clothes the less anyone notices or cares.

Of course since you yourself are the biggest obstacle to wearing heels in public and your own self awareness. Once you build your confidence, your self awareness diminishes and you yourself don't make a big deal of wearing heels. People tend to react to your own reaction. If they sense that you're uncomfortable, they'll try and figure out why.