OMG, I did it !

Calv

In days gone by, if one asked the horsepower of a Rolls-Royce motor car, the salesman would not tell you. They would only say 'adequate'. I'll just say 'enough'. Xa

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

One awesome pair of boots Xa. Now whilst the RR salesman would reply adequate concerning the price, he may well wax lyrical concerning the ride and comfort. Do tell. Gotta agree with Dr Shoe, but plus 1 or even 2. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

OK, guys,

..... they're surprisingly comfortable for something with a 4.75" lift ( 6" heel and 1.25" internal plat).

They walk OK, providing you don't bang all your weight down on the heel which is a little twangy .... I've known a lot worse 6" heels. If you point your toes a little, the platform will touch the floor just beneath the ball of your foot and, because the plat is slightly tapered towards the toe, the whole boot rocks slightly forward and propels your whole body with it. It's a bit wierd at first, but once you get used to it, it works surprisingly well.

The fit of the legs is absolutely superb if you have skinny legs like a model. I guess there will be a lot of women out there with less-than-perfect legs will be swearing and cussing because they can't get the boot to zip up. There is an elasticated gusset to allow for maybe an extra 3/4" of calf width.

Buying them in Selfridges was quite pleasant. I went there wearing skinny M&S jeans, the t-shirt in the pic, leather jacket and Aldo kneehighs over the jeans. I had decided to make the purchase, so there was no humming and hawing; all I did was to ask the saleslady to find the other half to the boot I gave her from the display (conveniently out there in my size 39s). I could see a certain amount of incredulity on her face when she offered me the right one to try on .... OK they were fresh from the box, but a little gentle wriggling had my foot settled comfortably. Zipping up was slightly difficult over my high-ish arches and over the calves. (With use, they are now bedding in quite well and becoming more supple.) As I put the left boot on, the saleslady said something along the lines,

"oh, I could never walk in something that high", to which I replied,

" You wanna bet, just watch me make these babies go,"

whereupon I proceeded to make creditable progress on their fairly soft carpet. You have to be a bit careful because the plat is quite narrow compared with the width of your feet, so you have to put it down square to the floor, not so easy when your'e on spongy carpet.

I detected a Northern twang to her accent as I joshed that my credit card was trying to hide in the corner of my wallet, quivering in fear. As we exchanged pleasantries about it being 'grim up north' and we had both moved down south to find better jobs, another salesgirl joined in that she was from the east end of Glasgow, telling how it was necessary to talk southern so that the poor locals had at least some chance of understanding us. I brought the house down, saying that to cut the east Glasgow accent, you need a chainsaw! I think the incongruity of the situation was obvious to all of us. Here's a guy who has just bought a pair of arguably the sexiest boots on the planet, having a man-type joke with a couple of women.

OK, the sales comission on those Loubies must have been pretty good, so I guess not all their charm was due to my magnetic personality, but I had to drag myself away as they suggested that I come back soon.

I haven't been outside in them yet, but I need a special event for this. Even if this doesn't happen for a while, I'm not really bothered.

Xa

• 2 weeks later...