Mum why is that man wearing those shoes?' plus a phone call

xaphod

Kids say what they think, normally very loudly. That's a verbatim regarding my 5" Western Ranch boots. Years ago, I would have wished the ground to swallow me up, but now I'm not bothered. Mum was more embarassed than anyone else because she had to dream up a reply a bit quick. She just suggested that I wore the heels to be a bit taller. Just to add to the fun the little girl (I suppose about 5 or 6 years old) started to walk around the supermarket on tiptoe to try out the feeling ! I suspect that there will be some 'I want' going on in that household for a while ! Xa ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ BTW, mum appeared to be the sort of woman, well off middle class who wears comfortable as opposed to elegant clothes. I guess she wouldn't be seen dead in heels, except maybe 3" courts at the Guildford Symphony Orchestra !

I recall Highluc telling the story of the boy in the shoe store in Germany that was shopping with his mother and sister. The boy kept telling his mother that a particular pair of shoes (wedgies, if I recall correctly) looked best on his sister. He was so insistant that the mother bought the shoes for the boy. Now, I'd give almost anything to find out what went on after he got home. Did he wear the shoes? If he did, does he still have them, ect? :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Mum was more embarassed than anyone else because she had to dream up a reply a bit quick. She just suggested that I wore the heels to be a bit taller. Just to add to the fun the little girl (I suppose about 5 or 6 years old) started to walk around the supermarket on tiptoe to try out the feeling !

LOL! But it sounds like a plausible explanation :wink:

If all mothers would say this to their kids the world would be an easier place for in a few decades... (for the males on this board)

What's all the fuss about?

the little girl (I suppose about 5 or 6 years old) started to walk around the supermarket on tiptoe to try out the feeling !

Now thats cute! :D

Mothers can be funny at times but I'm glad yours took the comment in her stride Xaphod.It's cool your Mum is comfortable with you in heels.Mine would have a blue fit!

About 10 yrs ago I was trying on a pair of pumps when a small boy stopped right in front of me,watched for a moment or two and called out to his mother, (who was several feet behind looking at a display)," Why's that man wearing ladies shoes"!!

Mom was over in a flash and did her best to dislocate the childs shoulder as she pulled him away by the hand.She never said a thing to him, or me for that matter, but I felt uncomfortable for both of us.

On a cheerier note... Just a few weeks ago I was trying on a pair of boots when a woman and her daughter (7ish) sat down beside me.She didn't pay me any attention until I stood up, then watched with interest as I walked up and down the store in them.When I sat down again, she asked the magic question,"Mum, why is that man wearing high heels"?

Mom said to her,"Because he likes them honey" and then made a small comment to me..

"They go well with your shirt".

Anyway, I never did buy those boots but that brief encounter made my day. :wink:

jim

It's part of the joy of kids. My father has a beard, and I remember little ones asking loudly "Mommy - why's that man got hair all over his face?" And I once watched two parents die of embarrassment about a million times when their daughter brightly asked me why I was a different colour to everyone else. I don't go out of my way to parade round children in heels, but apart from one lad of about eight who nearly dislocated his neck making sure I was really trying on *those* shoes, that's about it.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

1. On two occasions I've had girls, perhaps 6 to 8 years old, point to my feet and say "I want shoes like those!" 2. When my nephew was about 5 years old in the mid-sixties there used to be TV commercials for a brand of fashionable elastic support stockings called "Supp-Hose." Of course he didn't understand they were selling stockings that were essentially invisible, so whenever the commercial went on, he'd go put on a pair of his mother's spike heels and say they were his "Supp-Hose." Does he still wear them? I wonder... 3. (off topic for shoes, but on for children) I was out shopping with my then 4 year old son. He saw a man that had his arms covered with many tattoos. My son walked up to him and solemnly said "You shouldn't scribble on yourself." The man said "I'd better wash up, huh buddy?" My son nodded his head and we continued on our way.

I overheard a kid ask that to her mum about a year ago. The reply given was a matter of fact "some men wear shoes like that". I don't think there regarded much differently to earrings now. Just something that some men wear.

• 5 months later...

Daz - I enjoyed your new posting "Kids", but this is the existing thread you should have posted it on. The Moderators encourage us to post under existing well-marshalled topics so that we don't start thousands of tiny new thread which duplicate each other and over-clutter the already daunting forums. I only mentioning this to be constructive. See you on the 6th November Heel-Meet! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

That's uncharacteristically defeatist of you Ionic! It's dead easy - falling off a log! It takes only seconds to scroll through the lists of thread titles, whether new or old. No matter how old the original thread-title is, the moment you put a fresh posting on it, it will pop straight to the top! The thread's original age is immaterial. That could be simpler or more satisfactory to the current reading-enjoyment of these forums, or to their long-term husbandry into valuable categorised archives? Constructively and Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I'd say you have have to use forum search like Jo says to be as easy as falling off a log. There's just too many pages of posts in each forum now. Be sure to use the "and" operator between words as otherwise it seems to assume "or" and you get too many results.

1. On two occasions I've had girls, perhaps 6 to 8 years old, point to my feet and say "I want shoes like those!"

2. When my nephew was about 5 years old in the mid-sixties there used to be TV commercials for a brand of fashionable elastic support stockings called "Supp-Hose." Of course he didn't understand they were selling stockings that were essentially invisible, so whenever the commercial went on, he'd go put on a pair of his mother's spike heels and say they were his "Supp-Hose." Does he still wear them? I wonder...

3. (off topic for shoes, but on for children) I was out shopping with my then 4 year old son. He saw a man that had his arms covered with many tattoos. My son walked up to him and solemnly said "You shouldn't scribble on yourself." The man said "I'd better wash up, huh buddy?" My son nodded his head and we continued on our way.

Hmmm... I prefer a significantly different tactic...

I arrived at my personal preferences in spite of the mainstream telling me otherwise.

Since the main will hammer (er..., "hamper") the child's integration into mainstream, I usually do my best to downplay my personal preferences in heels so as to prevent hamstringing the public at large.

In that way, a good number of kiddies minds grow up to be relatively free of straightjacketing, and are actually MORE nimble at adapting to the times that those "liberal" minds of before.

Gene'

• 11 months later...

Aldo ... Hello, Aldo shoes, Fred speaking. xaph ... Oh, Hi. I bought a pair of boots from you on Friday, and I like them so much, I would like to buy another pair. Aldo ... Oh good, do you have the details? xaph ... Yes, I have the number on the sales ticket, will that do? Aldo ... Yes, fine. xaph ... 13------ Aldo ... hang on, they're ladies boots. xaph ... Quite right, I'm the guy who wears heels. The item number is 13-04-06-122_240 in size 39. Are they still on sale for £89.95 ? Aldo ... WOW --- sorry I'll check, sir. (keyboard noises). Yes, we have them. xaph ... OK, I'll be in on Thursday or Friday .... do you want a credit card number? Aldo ... No, Sir, that's not needed. We will put them aside until Friday for you. xaph ... OK, see you by Friday. Bye bye. Aldo ... (confused silence) Xa

Recent true incident (this week) Me walking from work wearing 4 inch cowboy boots. Young boy of about 6 or 7 window shopping with Granny? (about 60) Verbatim conversation: Young Boy: Oh look !! Granny (To boy): Yes high heels. They're not for boys Young Boy: I want some like that Granny (to Boy): Oh High heels they're not for boys are they? They're not for boys are they? Repetition, brainwash, brainwash. You get the idea. By this time I was out of earshot.

Never had the nerve to wear HEELS in public but wear flats, loafers, flip flops, deck shoes, etc 100% of the time. ONLY WEAR FINE FEMININE FOOTWEAR. Do not own any mens shoes. My Anne Klien Flats make a noticable click when I walk and the ladies especially notice. No comments yet! Darn!!

• 5 years later...

Recent true incident (this week)

Me walking from work wearing 4 inch cowboy boots. Young boy of about 6 or 7 window shopping with Granny? (about 60)

Verbatim conversation:

Young Boy: Oh look !!

Granny (To boy): Yes high heels. They're not for boys

Young Boy: I want some like that

Granny (to Boy): Oh High heels they're not for boys are they? They're not for boys are they?

Repetition, brainwash, brainwash. You get the idea. By this time I was out of earshot.

haha that is awesome!

Kids and me in heels: My wife and I went into a Safeway store to grab a gallon of milk and some ice-cream for dinner and desert at my mom and dads house. Came around a corner and met a mother and her two daughters, mom stood up from looking at a product on a lower shelf and said "Hi, sorry I'm in your way, Oo I like your boots" (I was wearing my 5" heeled lace-up kneehighs). The two daughters on the other hand looked very dismayed that a guy was wearing heels and wanted me to change to normal shoes that what I was wearing was WRONG! I liked the compliment and took the young ones comments with a grain of salt. What fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

And I once watched two parents die of embarrassment about a million times when their daughter brightly asked me why I was a different colour to everyone else.

We visited Chichester hospital when my son was about 3, it was his first time meeting a true dark African doctor (no not a witch doctor) in a corridor, he (my son) was boggle eyed even to the point of attracting attention. Later he just wanted a brown friend, the doctor was brilliant and so understanding, when I explained we only have Chinese takeaways locally he was laughing!

Going back to a trip to Rutland, I climbed a gate in block heels only to be asked by a little girl why I was wearing ladies shoes.

"I'm wearing them so they can't be ladies, can they?" I think she had to put that one together but found it logical.

Yep it makes us smile

Al

• 2 weeks later...