people's reaction to shoes.

Eggnog

I am just curious. Among the other girls has anyone had another girl say anything about your shoes...either negative or overly positive? This question comes from my thinking back upon a day last school year when my best friend told me my heeled boots made me look like a hooker. Another time she told me I was a dummy for wearing heels all the time. It bothered me a bit and I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.

• Like 1

I've never had anything negative said to my face. But I have heard snide comments. For example, on the train to work, some old fuddy duddis may look dissaprovingly at what I'm wearing. But to tell thr truth, women my age on the commute look admiringly at my heels - sure they may be jealous but not in a snidy type of way. At work, I get a lot of positive reactions. I am sure you all have heard "How can you wear heels that high" etc etc. Perhaps the worst example I have heard was when I went ot pick my nephew up from a Rugby game in Sussex. My sister had to go into work on Sunday so she couldnt pick him up. The looks I got from other mums was shocking. As I walked back to the car with him, I actually heard a grup of women behind me and I'm sure I heard the word slut. That really got to me. Pinky ukbabeinheels

• Like 1

Generally no, I dont get negative comments. It is interesting the looks I get when wearing mules or slides with 4 inch heels. Even very well dressed and stylish women will give a hard look at my heels.I find it to be a confidence booster.

How can you possibly walk in those?. I think it depends very much on what your wearing. If you're looking tastefully turned out, expensive and smart then people will be less likely to make negative comments about your footwear. Smartly turned out academics and professionals are rarely seen as sluts. Women who wear hot pants and platforms, tattoos and smoke cigarettes are.

I mostly get two comments: the "Oh my god how can you walk in those", and the "I love your heels"... I do get a lot of looks from people on the sly, you know, when they are looking and trying to figure it out, but acting like they are not looking :) And I have even had a few snide remarks...

• 1 month later...

I have heard the usual "how can you walk in these?" too, which is annoying due to the fact that these women could also wear them no problem if they would only TRY!! All they have to do is build up to it over time - no point in slipping straight into four inch pointy toe stilettos immediately, though even that would be quite possible. One of my pet hates is the eco-warrior types who wear flat hemp shoes and such like. Yieeww!! As far as slutty comments, I haven't heard any, but if I did it would not put me off one bit - there is a lot of sad people out there trying to bring others down!!

Hi everyone, I also get the "how can you walk in those" or "I love your shoes, wish I could wear heels like that" a lot of the time and I have to say that I find it flattering but I've also had a few negative comments as well which I put down to plain jealousy. But I have been called a "tart" a few times and once, when I was picking my sisters children up from their school, I was also called a "slut", it was behind my back and muttered as I walked past a group of "school mums", I think they were what the Daily Mail calls them "slummie mummies" its a right little clique I've since been told by my sister. Anyway I'd come straight from my work so I was dressed very smart as usual , a skirt-suit. Not tarty in the least and I'm definitely not a slut! I was abit upset to be honest but my sister told me that school playgrounds can be bitchy places and not to take any notice. As I don't have any children of my own I didn't know this!! Still, if you don't like somebodies shoes there's no reason to be rude about it is there? Sue xx

• 1 month later...

Ok today I had what I think was possibly one of the worst comments directed at my shoes by a woman. She smugly suggested that I was wearing "mid-life crisis shoes". It made me really mad and madder still after thinking about why it made me so mad.

• 2 months later...

I get stared at a lot downtown when I am in heels that are 5 or 6 inches. I have my bosses come to me and tell me that some of my heels are not work appropriate which I find funny since any gal can wear a tight blouse or skin tight dress. When I am at work I am in business suits, dresses that are office suitable and yet my shoes make me look trashy apparantly. On the street for some reason men seem to link heels with hookers and I get that a lot. Mostly from middle aged men who likely aren;t getting any at home. Sheryl

I have never had any negative comment when wearing heels with formal or business dress but I must admit on the odd occasion I have dressed a bit slutty with heels and have had negative comments from other women.

As my husband says, do women dress for themselves, their partners or other women?

Me, I used to dress for approval of other women, but now focus heavily on myself and husband. I think this really occured only after I had my breasts enhanced after breast feeding. D->F/G. But they were a E/F before, but there was a 5-6 gap when I was smaller and I really noticed the difference in attitude by some "friends" after. Also wore same clothes and heels but heard comments of me dressing "slutty".

Regards

Shane

It's funny. Men stare at my heels and don't say anything. women invariably pass comment. I've not really had any bad comments but I do find that the comments depend on what your wearing. If I wear my heels with a skirt and tights the looks usually say 'tart'. If I wear the same heels with jeans they usually go unnoticed.

It's funny. Men stare at my heels and don't say anything. women invariably pass comment. I've not really had any bad comments but I do find that the comments depend on what your wearing. If I wear my heels with a skirt and tights the looks usually say 'tart'. If I wear the same heels with jeans they usually go unnoticed.

Men say nothing, because they just frame that enjoyable picture for later. Treat it as a compliment, after all that whats it all about anyway.

(some) Women say tart because they are jealous or worried their Hub/BF will look at you and not them. Ignore them.

Give you an example of some of the local jealous pathiticness. A few weeks back local rag had a dear editor about one women saying another women who turned up to pick her kids from school in heels and summer dresses with makeup was just showing off. They claim she didn't work yet therefore had no reason to look so dressed up.

I mean can you believe this that someone would wright to the paper about some women who bothers to look nice!!! And yet knowing they didn't have a job so whats the point. When I heard this I actually asked some friends if I could pick up their kids, just to try and meet either the women of concern and support her by wearing my Sunday best or the bottom end of the cess pool and give them my 2c worth. Fortuatly (I think) my friends said no.

Men say nothing, because they just frame that enjoyable picture for later. Treat it as a compliment, after all that whats it all about anyway.

(some) Women say tart because they are jealous or worried their Hub/BF will look at you and not them. Ignore them.

Give you an example of some of the local jealous pathiticness. A few weeks back local rag had a dear editor about one women saying another women who turned up to pick her kids from school in heels and summer dresses with makeup was just showing off. They claim she didn't work yet therefore had no reason to look so dressed up.

I mean can you believe this that someone would wright to the paper about some women who bothers to look nice!!! And yet knowing they didn't have a job so whats the point. When I heard this I actually asked some friends if I could pick up their kids, just to try and meet either the women of concern and support her by wearing my Sunday best or the bottom end of the cess pool and give them my 2c worth. Fortuatly (I think) my friends said no.

Its incredible some people is crazy just becaurse they self is lazy to dress upp they just must talk talk and write in the newspaper o my good

I definitely see men stare appreciatively at my heels when in public, but I can count on one hand the number of times any of them have ever said anything to me. Even when I was single, no guy ever made a comment to me about my heels when trying to pick me up. Other women are a whole different thing. It is 50/50 between the flattering "I wish I could walk in heels that high etc. etc." to the nasty, bitchy comments already noted. Most of the latter comments IMO come from women who lack the self confidence to wear anything remotely sexy in public and lash out as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

I often wish that men had the courage to compliment me on choice of shoes. I find it to be a rare occurrence which is odd considering the amount of men that appear to notice them. Is it just me?. Do you get many compliments or even comments from men regarding your shoes?.

I often wish that men had the courage to compliment me on choice of shoes.

I find it to be a rare occurrence which is odd considering the amount of men that appear to notice them.

Is it just me?.

Do you get many compliments or even comments from men regarding your shoes?.

Yesterday I was in a small store and the female owner made a comment about the slingbacks I was wearing,how pointy they were and how I could wear them. A man with her complimented me and told me he liked them.I dont think he would of said anything had she not been there. Men,I think are afraid to say anything like this anymore.They need to be encouraged to be more outspoken.

Hi there I have had one or two commets from other ladys about one particular pair that i wear. They are a `pleaser` shoe black shoe with red heel red ankle strap and red trim right round the shoe they have a 5" heel and are gorgeous. I often wear high heels when out shopping with ffn`s now some may say that im just out for attention but i dress for myself and my hubby who appreciates the way i dress. But yes i do like to be noticed and it`s amzing how many men follow me round a store looking at me but dont have the courgae to compliment me. I have also heard other women comnet by saying look at that `slut` which dose not bother me as this is the way i dress. Comments like that come from the shlee suit brigade mind who alook anything but ladylike. Linda

• 3 months later...

Okay no need to report this post as it was made by the female half of a couple, the members have their own accounts now. (sendra45)

I often wish that men had the courage to compliment me on choice of shoes.

I find it to be a rare occurrence which is odd considering the amount of men that appear to notice them.

Is it just me?.

Do you get many compliments or even comments from men regarding your shoes?.

I think a lot of men are afraid that you would find them weird, perverted, or just plain intrusive. Have you noticed how they have this embarrassed look sometimes, when you catch them staring? My husband was like this when we were first dating. I always thought he just liked my legs, and he definitely loves beautiful legs, but i didn't find out he had a heel fetish until after we were married.

On the other hand, men don't seem to care much about giving compliments in general. The compliments (on heels and everything else) are much more common when it's accompanied by some pickup line....

And yes, I've had 'slut' aimed at me once or twice while those 'ladies' were staring at my heels. It's always been when i'm wearing those 5 inch pleaser pumps. I think i've only worn them half a dozen times at most. Half an hour and i have to change them out for the flats i keep in my purse.

-Sue

Being nearly 6 feet tall I inevitably get the comments about my height and how it is foolish for me to be wearing heels or how awful it must be for my husband to be shorter than me. It is all rubbish as far as I am concerned mostly because no one can know on the inside how I feel about my footwear. I try to stay in the highest heels my feet can stand and I have suffered a few times for it but it was all worth it. I have had a couple women ask me about my shoes though it seems that a lot of people look. I have gotten rude comments from mothers that bring thier children into see me for a check up or what have you but saying anything back would just be a waste of breath and I would probably lose a patient as well. Women can be down right cruel when it comes to fashion and I have even caught myself doing it. Guess the things we all have to remember is that it is another person and we should have respect for them as a person.

I think a lot of men are afraid that you would find them weird, perverted, or just plain intrusive. Have you noticed how they have this embarrassed look sometimes, when you catch them staring?

-Sue

Oh I certainly have noticed. Mostly I think while sitting on the metro or walking at airports. I think it's cute but at the same time rather odd that staring at shoes should seem perverted in some way. I mean wouldn't be the same if you caught them staring at a jacket or handbag you were wearing or a pair of sunglasses. Or would it?

I think it's It's true what Barbara said earlier in the thread; In the event that the topic of the shoes was opened for discussion by a woman then a man may feel more free to comment. That being the case, perhaps next time I should be the one to pluck up the courage and ask him if he likes them...lol

... very often I obviously do not notice there was any but since sometimes making videos for my site I see AFTERWARDS there was some :) quite funny sometimes, what you see then :P. Generally it is about appearance and attitude, as it was said before, so there have been a lot of nice chats on the street about my shoewear. Especially with very young girls or with old ladies, lol. I love that :sad:. There have been some *dressed like a hooker* too. Never from single persons, never directly in your face. This makes me aggressive actually. Of course I am aware that my style and my shoes are quite extravagant for the average taste, but still this is no reason to judge about me or to insult me. so if I hear anything like that I would ALWAYS turn around and speak directly with that person who said that. usually it is a teenager in a group which have tried to be cool, obviously. but there have been older people too. they cannot even look in your eyes then. but I am sure after this - especially as their friends would listen to this too- I am sure they will never say this to anybody else, no matter how extravagant the shoes or the outfit might be.

I get a lot of looks and some comments. I wear 5" and 6" heels ,w/o a platform, most of the time. I also only have one leg as my left leg was amputated above the knee. I enjoy the looks from men and really don't care what other woman think. I wore HH before my amputation and see no reason to quit. By the way it is easier crutching in a HH than walking. I may have an advantage. lol

... I enjoy the looks from men and really don't care what other woman think...

hello, Franie, would you explain this please?

For me a compliment from a woman would count 100 times more than one from a man- not because I do not care about what men think but because I know for them it is very often simply about erotic and they probably do not even notice the whole statement. If a woman says me she likes my shoes or my style or my outfit, I know it is REALLY about my shoes, my style or my outfit.

Is what you wrote kind of affirmation of your feminity? or something else?

I hope my question is not too unpolite or too direct, - my appologizes then, but I´d really like to know.

hello, Franie, would you explain this please?

For me a compliment from a woman would count 100 times more than one from a man- not because I do not care about what men think but because I know for them it is very often simply about erotic and they probably do not even notice the whole statement. If a woman says me she likes my shoes or my style or my outfit, I know it is REALLY about my shoes, my style or my outfit.

Is what you wrote kind of affirmation of your feminity? or something else?

I hope my question is not too unpolite or too direct, - my appologizes then, but I´d really like to know.

Can you imagine the comments she might get as an amputee wearing 5 inch heels? We women can be real bitches sometimes. I'm no saint (I have a temper) and i regret some things i've said and done before, especially to some nice guys who pursued me.

On what she said though, I think she means that she doesn't give a damn about the 'slut' comments or other derogatory things from other women and that she's doing it for the admiring glances of the men.

Nothing wrong with this really. We've all done this before. I always used to get dolled up for clubbing when i was younger :)

-Sue

Can you imagine the comments she might get as an amputee wearing 5 inch heels?

I can NOT of course - and I thank God I don´t.

But I would assume more people (no matter which gender- I do not think women generally more *bitches* than men or reversed) would appreciate her courage and attitude to do this inspite of disability (like I would) than ever give bad comments seeing a person on crutches, with heels or without!!