First step

AZShoeNut

Howdy, Okay I didn't anticipate doing even this very small step today however it was a first and it was pretty cool. So, I am working from home again today. I went to go pick up lunch and I decided to put a pair of heels in my backpack and wear them when I dirve for the food. So as I am driving back home I thought, "Man it would be cool to just keep these on and walk from my parking spot to my condo." This time of day the risk was low and I was able to take a not often traveled back way to my front door but I did it. It was prety cool however I was so amped that I barely noticed that I was wearing heels. Regardless it was a cool first time, outdoors, during the day, not on halloween. Later, Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Hi AZShoeNut, Congrats on your first step outside in heels!! Those first ones are always the most exciting for sure and in time you'll want to do other things like maybe try some closed-toe wedges with girl's jeans and walk into a mall or something. On the other hand, a member like Jazzymj wears his platform heels in guy mode maybe with girl's jeans or something while out and about in NYC. I think over time nobody will really care what shoes you have on especially if more guys get out there and wear what they like. Nice shoe in your avatar, I always like that type of strap very feminine.

AZShoeNut:-) Congrats! Now that you made the first attempt at wearing heels out in public, do it again and again and have a lot more fun. People really don't notice what shoes you have on and if they do, so what? The more you do it, the more fun and enjoyment you will have and the more confidence you will gain doing it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I remember doing much the same. Long drive through England wearing heels and then I decided to keep them on at the motorway filling station. No reaction - confidence built up further. Congratulations on going for it. People have more to think about than what others wear. Even the most outlandish style will only raise a brief coment then people move on.

The beginning of every journey starts with taking the first step.

(If that isn’t an ole proverb, it should be.)

Congratulations! Each time you go out, it will take less and less time to get out of the car.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for the support. I have to say that it was a pretty whacky experience. I told the Mrs. about it and though a bit suprised and definately reserved she did do her best to be supportive of the experience. Thanks, Larry

Now that you have the support of the Misses, maybe she will go with you once in a while to help you gain more confidence in your wearing heels in public whenever and whereever. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Congratulations on getting out for the first time! When I started going out in heels, I would keep a pair in my car to slip on if given the right opportunity. After several times doing that, I really gained a lot of confidence to wear them more and more in public. It is also wonderful that you have a supportive spouse. Sometimes I think that acceptance is a much better response than enthusiasm, at least in my mind.

Style is built from the ground up!

Congrats AZ! I hope your first steps are the beginning of many. I was initially very nervous about my friends and neighbors reaction but it has been universally positive. And I don't mean just a few bohemians, but everyone from kids at the nearby high school to senior citizens sitting on the curb. It's made me realize that the obstacles to wearing heels aren't in others but in myself. I hope you pursue heeling aggressively! -MJ

Howdy, You know, I am starting to figure that out. The obstacle really is within me. I think the inner obstacle currently looks to me like, "Where do I go to do this?" My wife runs into people she knows everywhere we go. Even vacations in other states she runs into people she knows. Phoenix and all the suburbs is a big place and the only places where we don't know people are basically in the ghetto where I don't particularrly care to start walking around in heels in those locations. Sorry about the rant :-). I just keep running the possibilities around in my head and need to just settle on something. I was thinking about maybe in a park. Heck, I don't know. See ya, Larry

Been wearing heels in public for a couple of years now in Orlando. Some people notice but I have not had a bad experience. The seater at TGI Fridays knows me and has never said anything to me but gets a good look. I heard her tell a server that noticed on our way out, "oh yeah...he always wears them." I wear them to the mall, to restaurants and all the time at home. One of my neighbors knows but doesn't treat me any differently. My wife is very supportive and is disappointed if I am not wearing them. I think part of it is making sure you dress appropriately. If you wear shorts and stilettos, you will really stand out. I wear long jeans or slacks over my masculine inspired oxfords with 4" heels. The more you go out and have a positive or neutral experience, the more confident you will become. It is hard knowing you may run into co-workers or friends that don't know but isn't it better to be yourself. If they have a problem, it is their problem. My only concern would be affecting my job but that concern has lessened with time. Get out there and have fun!

These are all valid concerns but what if you're selling your neighbors and friends short? They might see you in heels for what you are. A man who is confident in his masculinity, willing to think outside the box, and able to walk the walk on both counts.

I think it's important to remember that when a man wears heels, he isn't engaged in perverse or deviant behavior. Instead, he's taking one big step after another toward correcting a social imbalance.

If men and women are truly equal then we should be able to borrow from each other's wardrobe tendencies to create our own unique sartorial identities.

-MJ

Howdy,

You know, I am starting to figure that out. The obstacle really is within me.

I think the inner obstacle currently looks to me like, "Where do I go to do this?" My wife runs into people she knows everywhere we go. Even vacations in other states she runs into people she knows. Phoenix and all the suburbs is a big place and the only places where we don't know people are basically in the ghetto where I don't particularly care to start walking around in heels in those locations.

Sorry about the rant :-). I just keep running the possibilities around in my head and need to just settle on something. I was thinking about maybe in a park. Heck, I don't know.

See ya,

Larry

I think it's important to remember that when a man wears heels, he isn't engaged in perverse or deviant behavior. Instead, he's taking one big step after another toward correcting a social imbalance.

If men and women are truly equal then we should be able to borrow from each other's wardrobe tendencies to create our own unique sartorial identities. MJ

That's sure one way to look at it. Strictly a ittsy, bittsy, teenie weenie minority view, the way current society views it. ;)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

That's sure one way to look at it. Strictly a ittsy, bittsy, teenie weenie minority view, the way current society views it. ;)

I'm a smidgen more optimistic than that. I'm sure that there's a small crowd that favors my view, and about three times as many who favor an opposing view, but I think the vast majority of people are neutral and with the persuasion of a positive example can be swayed.

-MJ