The "Devushka" style

I remember visiting Budapest earlier this decade and I was amazed by the amount of beautiful women I've seen there. I was even more amazed at how feminine these women dressed and was quite envious of the local male population who had such splendid eye candy on a day to day basis.

Women from Eastern Europe, specifically from Russia, The Ukraine and other adjasent countries have come to adopt an extremely feminine dress style. The style has come to be known as the "Devushka" style. Genetics have been very kind to many Eastern European women, especially during their youth. The combination of beautiful natural looks and a keen awarness of women to look their best make an explosive combination.

I think it's unfortunate that women in the west these days go out of their way to dress casual and only once in a blue moon dress nicely. I think it should be the other way around where women and men look their best every day. I think that if that were the case, people would be happier and more confident about themselves. Too bad western society doesn't encourage that and even goes out of its way to label it negatively (the word slutty comes to mind). It just shows how conservative society has become, especially here in North America.

The following blog explains the style:

http://www.carpetblog.typepad.com/carpetblogger/2006/07/devuskha_style.html

http://carpetblog.typepad.com/carpetblogger/devushkas/index.html (Now that's a recruiting ad for the military haha!)

A few links to women from the Ukraine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27169652@N02/3093463094/in/pool-streetheels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olechko/sets/72157594475589071/

No wonder men are tempted with the whole "mail order" bride thing.

Tech, Tell me about it. Anything black (which I wear a lot with my heels) always has white dog hair from my lemon beagle.... I have been fortunate to visit Bucharest, Romania and Kiev, Ukraine and agree, 100%, with your assessment. Once off the plane at Otopeni, I was shocked at the women/heels/dress around me! I guarantee next time I go to any of these places, I'll have to be representing with my heels too! LOL Very nice sites, Max!

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Latvia, which is an ex-Soviet republic, and I see this every day. To me it's plain ugly. Yes, our girls wear heels excessively and take care of themselves (skin, manicure, makeup, etc.), but it looks like a meat market. They don't have any sense of style (I don't even mention the word "fashion here). I am not a snob or anything, but I do not wish to see a blue scrunchie + black patent cheap boots with pointy toes + golden short jacket + red fake croco bag + black leggins/pants with ruffles. This is what we call "bazaar or market style" and that means that you are not only poor (which is not bad on it's own), but also not too bright (or plain stupid). I have nothing against high heels, showing off or a bit more dressy style - I just prefer it being tasteful, even in extremes.

I'm in Latvia, which is an ex-Soviet republic, and I see this every day. To me it's plain ugly. Yes, our girls wear heels excessively and take care of themselves (skin, manicure, makeup, etc.), but it looks like a meat market. They don't have any sense of style (I don't even mention the word "fashion here). I am not a snob or anything, but I do not wish to see a blue scrunchie + black patent cheap boots with pointy toes + golden short jacket + red fake croco bag + black leggins/pants with ruffles. This is what we call "bazaar or market style" and that means that you are not only poor (which is not bad on it's own), but also not too bright (or plain stupid).

I have nothing against high heels, showing off or a bit more dressy style - I just prefer it being tasteful, even in extremes.

Well said, I have this impression also sometimes, when I see pics from "the east".

On the other hand: compare that with other countries, where heels are rarely seen, and you know what you have.

I'm in Latvia, which is an ex-Soviet republic, and I see this every day. To me it's plain ugly. Yes, our girls wear heels excessively and take care of themselves (skin, manicure, makeup, etc.), but it looks like a meat market. They don't have any sense of style (I don't even mention the word "fashion here). I am not a snob or anything, but I do not wish to see a blue scrunchie + black patent cheap boots with pointy toes + golden short jacket + red fake croco bag + black leggins/pants with ruffles. This is what we call "bazaar or market style" and that means that you are not only poor (which is not bad on it's own), but also not too bright (or plain stupid).

I have nothing against high heels, showing off or a bit more dressy style - I just prefer it being tasteful, even in extremes.

I think your statement awful. Why do u jugde about somebody else- no matter how *cheap* the style might be in your eyes?

It is about respect and tolerance, and I would have thought that especially in a board like this one would have recognized how important it is.

Isn´t that an issue of those girls themselves?

Why do YOU tell us they would do it for somebody else? I can imagine they wear that because THEY like it.

If there is somebody wearing anything believing it might make them more attractive to men- they would recognize sooner or later that it does not function that way, and it will be hard enough for them. So once again, it is not up to anybody else to be pejorative of what other wear.

I would not wear that style but even beeing a woman I still enjoy to see girls dressed like that more than those in conform *jeans-sneakers-uniform*.