High heels article in today's Times

loswabs

Interesting article - and scary facts at the end, about what heels can do to you. Wow. I had no idea... I'm definitely not going to try and get to a point where I'm wearing them on a daily basis. I love them, but they're not worth risking that level of damage. Ouch.

My street-heeling shoes of choice are a pair of ankle boots with 4" stilettos. I usually see at least one movie a month. I may just reserve my street-heeling for those occasions, and stick to my biker boots the rest of the time.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

Yes, this article points out some potential problems with wearing high heels. But with proper exercise, stretching, message, and physical therapy, and I mean every-day routine procedures, some of these injuries, long-term or otherwise, can be prevented or remedied.

... with proper exercise, stretching, message, and physical therapy, and I mean every-day routine procedures, some of these injuries, long-term or otherwise, can be prevented or remedied.

The operative word being some... :nervous:

My decision has already yielded a nice little benefit for me. Save for a white Edwardian poet shirt I bought from International Male about 10 years ago, I don't have a stitch of clothing in my wardrobe that isn't black. It's my single most favorite color (yes, I know, black isn't a color, but the absence of, but that's beside the point), and I don't have to expend any thought on what I'm going to wear from day to day.

Since I started street-heeling three weeks ago, I've felt increasing frustration over the choice between wearing my ankle boots or my biker boots when my wife sends me out on an errand. In fact, it's not uncommon for me to spend a minute or more debating which to wear. Whether to wear my heels at all is no longer an issue. I've already conquered that fear, and proven to myself that I have the confidence to wear my heels in public. Now that I've decided to reserve them for the movies, I've effectively eliminated the frustration of choosing between my ankle and biker boots, and I've created an occasion that I can look forward to wearing my ankle boots on.

Now I can enjoy the rest of my weekend, stress-free, while I look forward to seeing Max Payne on Wednesday.

:winkiss:

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

Well, THAT didn't last long. It's Monday night, I've returned home from work, and I'm already back in my ankle boots. I've really caught the heeling bug!

LOL!

I expressed my concerns to my wife. She offered that the damage outlined in the article, while certainly possible, only poses a high risk to people who tend to constantly wear high heels, especially to a point where all they wear are heels. Since I only wear mine on errands, or to the movies, the risk of injury to myself is minimal, and I can take extra precautions to further negate any damage - like putting jel inserts, specifically designed for heels, inside my boots.

Since you are wearing heels in moderation and not all the time daily, I don't think you will have any worry about damaging your feet permanently. Moderation is the key to everything in life including wearing heels. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!