My URGE, satisfied!

gottchoo

Well, almost.

I was travelling through my old town last week and saw that a new lingerie store opened up. So today, I up and went over just to buy a pair of thigh highs that, for some reason, I have been having the urge to wear. I go in, nose around, and woman comes out to to ask if I need help. The store was really small and I said I was looking for thigh highs, she helped and 5min later, I had 2 pair picked out.

I noticed the heels on the wall and fought the butterflies in my stomach and said "this is a bit embarrassing, but what is the largest size heel you carry". She doesn't seem phased and says, a 9. I tell her that I am a 12 in mens and she says she can easily order them, hands me a catalog to look through. As I am looking, I ask "so am I the first guy to come in for a pair of heels for himself" and she sort of just chuckles and says "no way, in fact that guy on the phone is on his way for his". I couldn't believe it!

So for judging my size purposes, she goes and gets the 9....gives me one of them and tells me to try them on. I ask if I can in the back and she scoffs, pulls up a little bench and says "try them on right here.". Even though the heels didn't even come close to fitting, what an exhilerating rush! Not only couldn't I believe I was finally getting a pair after fantasizing about it for over 2 years but to be trying on a pair in the middle of a store where anyone could have walked in at any moment......what a rush!

I thanked her for being so understanding and she just smirked and said "not a problem at all"...then we started to look in the catalog together and I was asking about height, strap or no strap, she was showing me heels on her wall in comparison to the ones in the catalog and i finally decided on a pair.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/snaz75_2023_355186739

However, the ones I ordered aren't patent leather.

So in 5 days, I shall finally own my first pair of heels. I definitely know I went too high for my first pair, but I just love the 6" platform look so much and figure, my feet will get used to them if I just break them in slowly.

:winkiss:

To all the guys that are really nervous about going out and trying on a pair, don't be! I know I was really 'scared' to venture out since I had this fantasy of wearing a pair, like I said, for over 2 years. Go out and get your pair! I can't wait to go there and try them on in the store next week.

Very nice!! A lingerie shop is usually much more understanding than say, your local Payless. Their primary goal (other than the obvious make a sale), is to make every customer feel at ease with being in their establishment. They see it all, and with the other things they sell, a pair of heels for a guy is probably nothing more than like a grocer selling milk.:winkiss:

Congratulations on your first pair of high heels. When you get them, you'll probably want to wear them all day. It brings back memories of my first pair and how I felt. They are a nice pair you have selected. Have fun wearing them and keep us posted.

Yes those mules are stunning shoes and should be very enjoyable to wear though I'm not sure if it's the right choice for a first timer. If you do find them dificult then either keep them but get something else like a pump or a boot or else persevere, don't let it put you off. Well done and welcome to a great new world!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Very nice!! A lingerie shop is usually much more understanding than say, your local Payless...

sassy heels, while I understand what I believe you're trying to stay, I think I would rephrase your statement to be, "A smaller, local shop will probably provide more personalized service...". Payless by design is basically self service, plus with usually more customers, they can't necessarily provide one on one service.

Despite that, in my two recent dealings in a Payless store, I've had nothing less than completely professional (bordering on almost too outgoing) interaction with them. I didn't try on any shoes in the stores, but that was due to my timidness about doing so. I have no doubts that had I done it, asked, "Do you have this in a different size?", "I'm looking for this type of shoe, do you carry it?", the salesgirl (at least the one I dealt with both times) would have been just as helpful as the woman who helped gotchoo.

The Perpetual Payless thread is 30+ pages, and it seems like almost every post expresses similiar satisfaction. One of the advantages of Payless is that it is self-service. If you want to find out what's available in your size, or try (or buy) several different pairs of shoes, you don't need to saleperson help you. For those of us that not wanting to say, "I'd like to try that pump in a 12...", Payless is great.

gotchoo, was the store empty when you went in to do your shopping? If so, while I could take a practical view that the saleswoman didn't want you (or the both of you) in the back of the store, I'd prefer to make an assumption she picked up on you (like a lot of us) being 'shy' customers. I don't want to read too much into her actions, but I'd like to think she knows that with just a little encouragement to get over our fears, we can become normal customers. Had their been other customers in the store, or you replied, "I'm not comfortable trying on in public" (which I'm sure some people are), she would have taken a different approach with you.

My first shoe shopping trip was to an adult store that carries fetish clothing and footwear. I originally went there because they advertised larger sizes (I thought I'd need a 14), plus I was pretty sure that not much (certainly a guy shopping for heels) would be considered unusual. My experience was almost identical - they didn't have my size in stock, but they had catalogs I could look thru and order from. I didn't do that (nor bother to try anything on there) because I reallly wanted to try on an actual shoe to make sure it fit well.

gotchoo, are these what you ordered:

http://www.electriqueboutique.com/womens-shoes/Sexy-High-6-Inch-Heel-Platform-Sandal/PL-DELIGHT-601-BLK-BLK.html

(it's the closet match I could find). I've just gotten into buying and wearing shoes with platforms (though so far, 1/2" is the highest I have). While there's a slight difference in walking in a flat-sole pump, vs a shoe with a platform, I think what makes the biggest impact on wearing is not the absolute heel height (6" in your case), but rather the difference beteen heel and sole. With that being 4", on a relatively large sz 12 shoe, unless you've never walked in any heels before, I think you'll get used to walking in them much quicker than you think you might.

Please post an update when your order comes in. Have you given any thought to how you'll handle the pickup? Given that you've already broken the ice with the saleswoman, I'd certainly suggest you try them on in the store. Unless you know for sure that a woman's size 12 is what you wear, I wouldn't assume you could take them home and have them fit fine. Plus, the woman might be able to look at you in them, and determine if they look to be the correct size for you, if if she should order a different size for you.

Thank you all for your encouragement and replies. Dr. Shoe, I was really on the fence about going with this style/height for my first time, however, after looking at some others, I just went with my gut. I do expect to have issues, however, I will just try to take it slow and if need be, maybe I will buy another, smaller pair if they don't work out....maybe I'll do that anyway! :winkiss: jwhite, yes, those are the same style/brand but the ones I bought are not patent leather, but just....regular leather I guess. I like the duller leather look opposed to the shiney. She said they will be in the store in 5 days, so I told her I will just call and drive back. The store was empty as it just opened, but as I was paying, the guy that called as I entered was there to pick up his heels and a girl was behind me. I wonder if he tried them on in the store. I definitely plan on trying them on in the store. They have a little changing room as well as the 'back' area but if it's just her and I, I think I will just try them on in the open. I will be reporting back at the end of next week with my follow up....I can't get it off my mind though! These days better fly on by! heh.

...jwhite, yes, those are the same style/brand but the ones I bought are not patent leather, but just....regular leather I guess. I like the duller leather look opposed to the shiney...

I agree - the regular vs patent leather almost always looks so much better. Can't wait to hear your report of them.

They won't, they'll drag by. I can guarantee it! lol

Tick tock, tick tock....only ~110 hours until I pick them up. But who's counting? HAH.

I just hope the same lady is working! It's a small store, so I assume she was the owner and will be there again, but to be honest, I am so excited over the entire process, it's not going to matter who is there when I pick them up.

...I just hope the same lady is working! It's a small store, so I assume she was the owner and will be there again...

Although a lot of us are scared (for lack of better words) the first time we go into a new store, if you get decent service from a sales agent (in gootchoo's case, maybe the manager), you should really try to get their name, maybe even their work days. At least when you're first starting out shopping, it's so much easier to deal with someone you are familiar and comfortable with.

I went to Payless today, planning or doing either a return or an exchange, and walked out because the salesgirl I've dealt with before wasn't working (at least she wasn't at the counter, where there were already 2 different salesgirls). Had I known her schedule, or at least her name, I wouldn't have wasted a trip.

Re: My URGE, satisfied!

I definitely know I went too high for my first pair, but I just love the 6" platform look so much and figure, my feet will get used to them if I just break them in slowly.

Those a very nice heels indeed. I think you should begin with a

much lower heel without a platform, get used to it then move

to higher heel. I hope you will enjoy wearing your new heels :winkiss:

and let us know how it went !

I called today to check on the order and unfortunately they will not be in until Tuesday. :winkiss: As per your suggestion Jwhite, before I hung up, I made sure that they woman that helped me would be there the day they came in....she confirmed that she works every day and does seem to be the store owner. It's actually ok, I have this incredible urge to get a pedicure prior to picking them up. Want to try them in the store with a nice french ped....may even go red/white as someone suggested in another thread. Now....to find a place where I feel comfortable getting that done! Daniel, I actually plan on ordering a pair of pumps when I go get my heels. Unfortunately, I really desire a 5in heel. I am never one to ease into things!

Gottchoo:-) Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the world of wearing high heels. A great looking pair of shoes, but like others have said, maybe you should start with a pair of shoes with a shorter heel until you get used to walking in them and then you could increase the height later. You will find that walking around the house will be a lot different than wearing them out in public where the terrain changes. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

...It's actually ok, I have this incredible urge to get a pedicure prior to picking them up. Want to try them in the store with a nice french ped....may even go red/white as someone suggested in another thread. Now....to find a place where I feel comfortable getting that done!...

I posted this same answer in another thread, but with Halloween coming up, it's a great excuse. If you get any comments (or want to initiate a conversation), you can say, "My girlfriend wants me to be a ____ for Halloween, she wants me to wear some strappy heels, and she told me she wants my toenails done in ___ (french ped I guess for you)." I'd like to think it's a believeable reason. If you want to go back after Halloween, you could say, "My g/f really got turned on by them", and just wink.

If for some reason you don't get one before you pick up the shoes, you might ask the woman in the store if she knows any places she think you'd feel comfortable getting a french pedicure.

That's ok.....I can handle the giggles, as long as they do a good job!

Although I think I will just go with a traditional ped, not red/white. Still need to find a place and find time to get there!

Im already trying to decide on another pair...need some input.

http://www.snaz75.com/el-ph423-bardot.html

or

http://www.snaz75.com/el-ph423-rose.html

I'd be going for the red in either style....part of me wants a closed toe heel since the ones I orderd are full open, but I do love the peep toe. Not sure if the bow tie is a bit much though....

Any feedback?

That's ok.....I can handle the giggles, as long as they do a good job!

Although I think I will just go with a traditional ped, not red/white. Still need to find a place and find time to get there!

Im already trying to decide on another pair...need some input.

http://www.snaz75.com/el-ph423-bardot.html

or

http://www.snaz75.com/el-ph423-rose.html

I'd be going for the red in either style....part of me wants a closed toe heel since the ones I orderd are full open, but I do love the peep toe. Not sure if the bow tie is a bit much though....

Any feedback?

I like the first ones, myself. They are simple, pretty, and I love the heel height. But ultimately the decission is yours. Good luck!

It was nice to hear about your experiences, gottchoo. :winkiss: And regarding your next pair - they're both so nice; we have similar tastes. If you can only buy one more for now... get the second pair for being that bit funkier!

Hi Like your story, the 1st pair that you waiting are very nice, great choice As for the height, some of the responses are correct, maybe you should of started with something not as high On the other hand, jump right in the deep end and get what tickles you Presume you will start by wearing hem at home, so your 1st wear/walk might be at home, so as you get used to them you can wear them longer and longer As for the second choice available, would go with the 1st pic, however its pretty much a matter of choice for you!! Like your taste in shoes!!! :winkiss:

Thanks all for the replies. I most likely will go with the first choice now that I see they come in red. For some reason, when I first saw them, I loved the style/curve to them but didn't see they were in patent red....so i looked further and saw the second set. We'll see if the store can order them for me in my size. FXHH, you're right. I will be wearing them mainly at home, in my house and getting used to them so that is why I went so high for my first pair. To me, part of the appeal to heals is the angle of height and arch of the foot. I don't think that will carry over well to a size 12/13 and only a 4in heel. I may break my neck, but I will love every min of it!

...To me, part of the appeal to heals is the angle of height and arch of the foot. I don't think that will carry over well to a size 12/13 and only a 4in heel...

You might be surprised. Heel heights listed are often listed for a sz 8/9 shoe, and many times that height varies for smaller or larger size shoes. A pair of pumps I bought at Payless, advertised as having a 3 1/2" heel, were about 4 1/4" in the size 13 I got them in. A pair of ankle boots though, also listed at 3 1/2", I think made it to 3 3/4", so you really never know.

If it's not a gigantic web retailer (like Payless), you might be able to email customer service, and ask, "For shoe ___, it's advertised as having a ___ heel height. Do you have a sz 12/13 in stock that you could measure the actual height for me? I know that sometimes the height increases above advertised for larger sizes. Thanks."

You might find a 4" advertised heel ended up being 4 1/2" in your size, which could be just what you are looking for.