Good stores for larger sizes - my opinions.

Saturn

I should preface this post by stating that I am in the US - so these thoughts mostly apply to stores located in the US (I'm pretty sure... didn't do much research).

For those that can't find stores other than Payless that carry size 11 and up, I've found these are very reliable sources:

1. Shoe Dept. I find these in malls and sometimes shopping centers. Usually have size 11 and 12, (not 13) and usually the larger sizes stay on the shelves and end up clearanced - good for us! I bought a couple pairs of boots from these places for 1/8th the cost. The quality is so-so, but hey... if the price is right, it's always fun to buy a new pair for $8 that used to cost $40 and all the small sizes are gone. They have a decent selection of higher stilettos, which I like. Not many higher than 4" though.

2. Gabriel Brothers. This place has cheap prices, and carrys many size 12s! I wear size 11, so it gets a little frustrating seeing all the size 12s and trying them on, and they are slipping off my feet even with socks on. Most of the heels in the "clearance area" are from Frederick's of Hollywood. I've seem some really high heels here - 5", maybe even 5.5" - but a lot of times, they just have so few 11s and a ton of 12s. Good news for size 12s.

Places that I don't like:

1. Payless Shoes. Sure, that's where I started too. But the larger heels are not that stylish. Not many stilettos in the larger sizes. All the fun styles are in the smaller sizes - not fair! Still, good for getting big, WIDE sizes, so it's not all that bad. I am technically an 11W, but I never find anything good in the wide sizes though.

2. Wal-Mart. Screw this place, honestly. Not much over a size 10, and even if it is, it's probably flat and/or boring. You're lucky to find an 11 or 12. They actually used to be much better in this department, but it's gotten worse since I started buying (of course).

3. K-Mart. Read my Wal-Mart rant, minus the "they used to have good stuff" part.

4. Goodwill / Salvation Army / any Thrift Store. They're fun to look around, but the larger styles are usually... how do I say this... dumpy? Yeah. A lot of size 9 dissapointments. Occasional size 10s, too small for me. Not many high(er) heels, if at all. Size 11s are usually nothing I'd want. Size 12, prepare yourself for some loafers. You will get lucky occasionally with the chunkier "goth" type boots or shoes, if that's what you like. I actually donated 4 or 5 pairs of my 11s (and one size 10 from when I thought I could wear that - WRONG!) I came back to the store, and all of my pairs had already been purchased. So that might be why the larger, neater sizes are hard to find there. Somebody's beating me to it!

One thing that I liked about all these stores, is that it's fairly painless and rather exciting to try the shoes on in-store. There's usually a lull of activity unless you go on a weekend or something.

So what do you think of these opinions? Did you have similar experiences in these stores? Did anyone ever find a VERY high pair of shoes at the thrift store? Please, share!

The only regular shoe store I can find a shoe large enough to fit is Payless. Yes, more styles in smalles sizes, of course, but I disagree with your opinion that there are hardly any good ones in size 12 or 13. I lucked out quite a bit lately there. But it also depends largely on the location of the store. This has been reviewed here in many threads already. No luck with any other store you mentioned.

Saturn, where are most of the stores that you mentioned? Also I've never had any problems finding 11's in shoe stores, dept stores or on the net. As for as Payless, they seem to always have some really nice heels in larger sizes. It might be the area you live in where you are having trouble finding the right shoe.

t-straps are my favorite style.

Don't put Wal-mart down so fast; I'm sure that it must depend upon the store. You can find size 11 and in some decent styles - not many but they are there. I bought a nice stiletto sandal there, "George" brand, (see the pics). I would also suggest Burlington Coat Factory - again, hit or miss but they do have size 11 also. Also, some Macy's (you would have to call and ask if they carry them).

You could also add Target (particularly Target.com more than the store).

post-9697-133522865052_thumb.jpg

post-9697-133522865057_thumb.jpg

It's all about the heel!

For me personally, I'm already pretty tall, and stilettos would not look great on me (my opinion), So I like the chunkier heels and wedges a lot. I also have to wear a 12-13 (varies in brands) so payless is really MY only option.

Are you able to find any thinner-heeled stilettos at Payless? I usually find very thick or chunky heels there. Sometimes you can tell that they're specifically designed to hold a larger frame.

Example: http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/5243-perpetual_payless_shoesource_thread-34.html#post171535

see the entire thread for other examples.

I have tried Barratts in couple of places and they only seem to stock up to a size UK8.

Some of their larger stores stock their "tall and small" range - unfortunately very limited. The Trafford Centre store does, for example. http://www.barratts.co.uk and pick "Larger footprint" from their Womens range.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Wow, 9.5 Womens is very small for a male. You're lucky. Pretty much every one of my friends has like size 11, 12, or 13 US Men sizes. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that, it's hard enough to shop. I understand that Payless is the only store for some people... there are four Payless stores near me, three of which I can regularly check without wasting gas. They usually have a pretty slim selection, as does my local Wal-Mart. The last half dozen times I've been to the ol' Wally World, they only had 1 size 12 and it was a very low-heeled, ugly patent sandel with a weird color (purple, I think). Not only was it too big, but it was not my taste at all. Looking through the endless Payless thread, I see some nice stilletos. I can say that my local Payless never have anything close to the nice shoes you guys are finding at your local shops (and as I understand it, you're ordering from the Payless online store as well). I guess I have to be happy with my US 11 Women feet, it could be worse (I do take a size 12 M for Pleaser shoes though).

Guest Loveshiheels

What about UK. I can think of:

Shoezone

Faith

Next

Barratts

I some times don't have the bottle to do Faith or Next as you have to ask for the size 9's or whatever. Got to get a grip[ I guess!

Faith only goes up to size 9,but do have some nice heels and Barratts goes up to size 10 but not in the styles I like.

Looking through the endless Payless thread, I see some nice stilletos. I can say that my local Payless never have anything close to the nice shoes you guys are finding at your local shops (and as I understand it, you're ordering from the Payless online store as well).

I guess I have to be happy with my US 11 Women feet, it could be worse (I do take a size 12 M for Pleaser shoes though).

Order online, that will help. You can ship to your local store to avoid shipping charges. Deliveries arrive on Tuesdays only, so call your store on Tuesday afternoon. BUT, in the past I also found bigger sizes in a store than were available online. Plus, look at the adjacent men's section, I also found that the women size 13 continued there occasionally.

I'm going to have to retract a lot of what I said about Payless. After seeing what kind of shoes everyone was getting there, I decided to stop by Payless and see what's been going on in the year or so that I haven't been in there. Definately a big improvement all around in the selection. I guess the bottom line is, I wouldn't have had to go online to find some good styles as soon as I did. While I was there, I scoped out the size 12s and 13s, and it really seems they're embracing the larger sizes instead of making only huge chunky-wide strange looking heels. I saw some black slingback peeptoes that were pretty nice, but I'm not really into peeptoes, more the slingback style. I'm sure come winter they'll have more closed toe varieties. I've also been stopping in a few higher-end adult stores (Adult Mart and Pricillas) because they carry heels - unfortunately, their shoes only go up to size 10. Boo. And I guess I'm gonna have to stop by Burlington Coat Factory soon. All these stores I'm mentioning are around Cleveland, Ohio.

Wow, 9.5 Womens is very small for a male. You're lucky.

Well, I guess you can call it lucky, as well as unlucky. When it comes to women's shoes, I guess it should help (I havent went shopping for heels just yet), but when it comes to just general hanging out with friends, my smaller feet usually become a point of discussion and into a joke (meh Im so used to it though, just my friends having some fun :o and everyone laughs).

breaking social norms is a hobby of mine

I'm not sure I would think it a blessing, as if I could wear a size 9, I'd be living in a box, but I'd have lots of pairs of shoes! I think it would be way too costly for me! Not many shoes I like come in a size 12, so my buying habits are much less frequent (though if I did wear a 9, I could actually by much less expensive sale shoes!). I must say that if I could get them easy, I personally would have kept Nine West in bausiness the last few years...lol

Today I saw a sign in the Macy's shoe department that said "We Now Carry Size 11!" I kind of took a second look because I wear an 11 and had purchased many shoes at that particular store. I know that 11 really isn't too much of a larger size, but they were quite hard to find a few years back (at least in my experience.) Can 12s be too far behind?

Style is built from the ground up!

The only thing that would be sweeter would be if they put up a sign saying they carry up to size 14! Heck, I'd probably fall over in shock at that point - and that takes a lot.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

The only thing that would be sweeter would be if they put up a sign saying they carry up to size 14! Heck, I'd probably fall over in shock at that point - and that takes a lot.

Somebody Pick up Shock Queen ! ! !

post-1115-133522865869_thumb.gif

This place carries sizes up to 13. And in the emai I recieved from them, they say they wilkl start carring size 14 in the spring.

Not cheap at all, but they look like good quality Leather Shoes and Boots.

Take A Look.

http://www.samantashoes.com/

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

This place carries sizes up to 13. And in the emai I recieved from them, they say they wilkl start carring size 14 in the spring.

Not cheap at all, but they look like good quality Leather Shoes and Boots.

Take A Look.

http://www.samantashoes.com/

They have some good looking shoes, but "not cheap at all" is something of an understatement. I have never paid over $99 for a pair of shoes (not including boots).