Heard on Weekend America

Thighbootguy

The radio program Weekend America just aired a story about a black senior golfer named Alton Duhon. At the end of the story they played a quote:

At 83, he still teaches things like how to hold the club, respect on the course and how to dress. "If you dress like a fool," he says. "They're going to treat you like a fool."

Transcript

When I heard this story I had just returned from the cobbler shop where I had gone wearing a black sleeveless turtleneck, denim shorts, and black thisg boots with 5" stilettos. I had to walk several blocks from where I had parked to the shop and back. I saw my reflection in several store windows and was thinking the shorts were a little too short and the overall look was a little too risque.

Somehow the quote struck home and has gotten me thinking again. I don't feel uncomfortable wearing thigh boots and/or a skirt but it drove home the importance of considering the overall look I present.

And I thought just having the nerve to go out was all there was to it...

:o

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi TBG, I agree with the sentiment albeit he is probably refering to dress on the golf course, a well known placve for guys to wear something they wouldn't be seen dead in elsewhere - perhaps that is why golf is so popular. However, it equally applies to all walks of life because first impressions matter so much. They shouldn't but they do. Your thoughts on how you looked would have been totally different had the time been on an evening and you were on your way to a night on the town. There certainly is more to it than just having the nerve to go out. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

This man has lived in a time when all women wore long dresses, no pants or pant suits, and men wore black suits, white shirts, and black ties. Everyone drsessed conservatively. No earings or make-up on men, tatoos were only seen at carnivals, mini skirts were seen as trampy, and heaven forbit a man would wear shoes with heels higher than 1", with the exception of cowboy boots. My mother was 84 when she passed away. When I would take her to doctor appointments and she would see anyone dressed "out-of-the-ordinary," she would refer to them as looking silly or foolish. We have been lucky to have grown up in changing times where it is almost anything goes. As it has been said in previous posts, embarassment is a state of mind.

well roniheels, thats the generation of my mom ( in her late 70s) so I would say that you are dead-on about the way people thought back then, in fact my mom would feel (if not out right say) those very same things about people that TODAY dress in any way they like (hence, anything goes attitude of the 21st century) in more ways than you might know times are way DIFFERENT than they once were. (or in other words "a product of their generation") so when these older people may see others like ourselves dressed like we might want to be seen in "public" they STILL react in the old ways they were brought up in- namely,:-? type of look cause part of their mind still cant understand what they see around them @ the present time.:o

The radio program Weekend America just aired a story about a black senior golfer named Alton Duhon. At the end of the story they played a quote:

At 83, he still teaches things like how to hold the club, respect on the course and how to dress. "If you dress like a fool," he says. "They're going to treat you like a fool."

A quote like that is universal and is suitable for any and all situations people might be in, from the golf course, the mall, the suburbs to downtown. Bottom line, if you dress with class, you'll be treated with class, regardless of if you wear women's shoes or even a skirt. We should all strive to follow Mr. Duhon's elegant wisdom.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Having been a product of living near that time I quite agree with what has been said so far and recall both my parents saying and feeling similar things when seeing how people dressed then. Looking back at old photos of my youth and my parents and grandparents then shows that the men wore hats and suits and ties no matter what they did, except maybe at the shore. I can remember asking my Mom if she would like to go get an icecream or go to a movie and her reply would always be, "Wait until I change my dress". No matter what she did she always wore a dress, hose, a purse, hat and gloves. She wore a dress, hose, and aprons daily around the house and was always home for me when I came home from school. But that was Mom then. My how times have changed. Now look how people dress today. I have nothing against it and applaud them for wearing what suits them to a "T". That's called progress I guess. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

now if you all want an example of "dressing like a fool" how about wearing white long SOCKS with high heel pumps!!!??:oTHAT is what I call "poor tast- NO class fashion" I've see them like that before & I feel that there MUST be a better way to present yourself while wearing pumps!