Thong Mules

heelma

After recently someone posted a thread about "thongs" here, I first thought he/she meant so-called "thong mules". (But then I realized that actually underwear was meant.) What is your take on thong mules? As far as I know, this term refers to mules where the big toe goes around a "thong", and that's all that keeps the shoe on the foot. I recently got some 4" wedge thong mules from Payless (see attachment). I found they are very interesting to walk in: first of all, the heel height is not extreme, so it shouldn't be hard to walk in those. But the combination of the heel and the thong/difficulty to keep the shoes on your feet made me walk kind of funnily, I would say. Also, while they are actually quite comfortable at first, they start to hurt quite early on because your foot slides right onto the thong and thus your whole weight rests on it. Do you guys have any experience with these? Another question: I have larger size than the 12 these sold as the biggest from Payless, but they actually fit me quite well. However, most Payless shoes in 12 or 13 would go as 14 or 15 in other stores. I would like to have a thong mule with a higher stiletto heel, but can't find it anywhere in larger sizes. Any idea where to get these from

post-3379-133522858508_thumb.jpg

I got a couple, one has a kitten heel, one is about 2". I find they just "flip" more than other shoes, so your pant leg goes under a bit easier. But I don't normally wear them all day.

I have a pair of 4" toe-loop mules. (Loop over the big toe, like '60's hippie sandals) If the weather ever warms up (late May at 55 degrees fahrenheit), I'll get them out.

Ellie shoes web site shows thong-look platform heels in 5 and 6 inch heel heights, but only up to size 12. They have a clear plastic strap over the foot in addition to the thong, so they aren't a true thong. Pierre Silber sells the 6 inch platforms, but I haven't seen the 5 inch ones advertised anywhere. Tony shoes (I think) used to make a 6 inch platform thong up to size 14, but not any more. There are quite a few thongs in 3 to 4 inch heels, but usually only up to size 10, if that.

Hi.... I call them "thong slides" but what the heck. I exclusively wear hh sandals, and most of my shoes are thongs, slides and styles with a back strap. I prefer heels in the 2 inch range, but have a few pair that are 3 inches. I wear the hh thongs in public all the time, I love summer. Interestingly, most folks don't notice, and those that do look but hardly ever make a comment. I think the thong styling is very attractive. Some thong styles can be uncomfortable after a while, but then so can "regular" strappy sandals!! Good to know there are other hh sandal wearers out there. !!!!

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I have lots of "thong mules" or what I call a platform thong. I wear them most of the time during the summer including to one of my jobs. I have the in different heights fom 1-1/2 to about 4". I love them.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I myself have never owned or wore a pair of those. But the other day at work, a very big man from the factory wlked into the offices wearing a pair similar to the ones pictured above (not quite as high of a heel). Someone asked him about them and he said they were comfortable on his feet, especially walking on pavement all day and especially during the hot summer months in the factory. That makes sense.

Back in the 70s when heels for men were popular, I owned a pair of men's thong sandals with a 2 or 2.5" block stacked heel that was slightly smaller than the back part of the sole it supported directly above, which I always felt was a bit "femme." They had about a 1/3" thick leather sole, a 2" wide strap over the instep, a 1" heel strap, and a thong of leather that descended from the instep to between the big toe and the next toe. I loved the look, but there wasn't any arch support and walking in them soon rubbed the skin between my toes raw. I just couldn't wear them much. I was really disappointed, and eventually gave them away. I have never tried thong mules or sandals since. In fact, being the klutz I am, I never wear sandals at all. I can stub my toes too easily. Besides, I like to wear nylon hosiery (I really can't wear shoes comfortably without hose), and I'm not crazy about showing hosed toes. GWL

Yeah, I had a pair of Scholl's wood sole sandals. They weren't the flat heel ones for men, they were the 1.5" heeled ones for women, and I got them in size 10, I think, which was the biggest size I could find back in the 70s. I really needed them in 11, but I got by wearing them ok. They were fun but I couldn't walk very far in them. I eventually gave them away, with no regrets. I also remember a dark brown men's mule I bought with a 3 or 3.5" block heel, a 3/4" platform, and a very rounded toe. They didn't fit very well - my foot was always pushing into them too far, so I probably needed a smaller width as I have narrow feet. I eventually gave them away, too. I loved the high heel men's fashion back then, but never had great success finding shoes that fit and were comfortable. I'm doing far better today with masculine style women's loafers, slingbacks, clogs, and mules. GWL

• 1 month later...

I love my thong mules, though I only own one pair. They are Rampage "Madyson." They have a 2 3/4" heel. I bought mine in brown because I had told the sales associate at Macy's that I was looking for shoes that were not black. She found the brown pair and a white pair, but the white ones turned out to be pumps that were put in the wrong box. I would have bought both (though I admit the pumps were tough to pass on.) I have worn them on a few occasions and very happy to have them!

post-5655-133522864536_thumb.jpg

Style is built from the ground up!