Police?

• 1 month later...

Those women in the picture are definitely not police. They are from the Ukrainian armed forces. I recognize the uniform. It's not unusual to find heels as part of a military dress uniform in Eastern block countries. As far as I know, it's only the Polish police who can wear heels as footwear is not standardized in their uniform.

• 2 months later...

It's an Italian order for Italian policewomen, ordered in Romania

Why Italians order shows in Romanie, when we in Italy have great shoemakers?? Who really knows? :w00t2:

Maybe... for the price

Maybe... for some "tangente"

Yes, I feel the same, it is a shame. A few weeks I went to a Benetton store in Paris and noticed that the boots, shoes and all the leather clothes were made in Romania or even Bosnia!... Last spring I went to the Ventimiglia market and discussed the topic with a shoe saler : she told me that less and less "made in Italy" shoes were sold, even in her country, and that they have a hard time resisting the concurrence of such countries, like Romania or China. The only chance of the italian shoemarket to resist this challenge, is to continue to emphasize quality... and to settle for bigger "tangente"... ;-)

I'd guess that Italian wages (and probably most of Europe) are similar to what we have in the USA. In that sense, I'm sure it's very tough for manufacturers not to want to shift production to places like Romania, Vietnam, Thailand, China, where their workers are probably paid pennies on the dollar compared to wages in industrialized nations.

Are you saying that because you think workers in 'industrialized' nations will start to accept lower wages, or because those in lesser nations will start to want more? If you look at the US economy for example, it's been declining for months. That should cause people (especially the 8%+ of the population now unemployed) to accept lower wages. The flipside of this is it causes even more demand for low-cost products (what's typically sold at Walmart), which at least now are made in China and other foreign countries. I'm not sure US employees will take the cuts in salary to match what some oversears employees are making...

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying that because you think workers in 'industrialized' nations will start to accept lower wages, or because those in lesser nations will start to want more?

If you look at the US economy for example, it's been declining for months. That should cause people (especially the 8%+ of the population now unemployed) to accept lower wages. The flipside of this is it causes even more demand for low-cost products (what's typically sold at Walmart), which at least now are made in China and other foreign countries.

I'm not sure US employees will take the cuts in salary to match what some oversears employees are making...

A bit of both.

Chinese workers are soon going to realise how much their employers are making and so will demand higher wages. At the moment there is a bit of an unemployment problem over there but as soon as the reccession's over the wages in china and India will rocket especially as they will start to demand the standard of living enjoyed in western Europe and the US...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I'd guess that Italian wages (and probably most of Europe) are similar to what we have in the USA. In that sense, I'm sure it's very tough for manufacturers not to want to shift production to places like Romania, Vietnam, Thailand, China, where their workers are probably paid pennies on the dollar compared to wages in industrialized nations.

Yes, is true, but the production of "italian shoes" is already shifted to foreign places since years. Even for luxury products.

The italian makers provides machinery, know-how and materials (this is the "made in Italy" you see under the soles) and asian people do the job for way less than italians or europeans workers.

Then they wonders why their products are often copied from China and sold as original...