Is male heeling even discussed in class?

Histiletto

I have not, but would imagine if anyone has, it would likely by either in Sociology (in the context of societal attitudes, etc.) or Psychology.

In college, I took an elective sociology class titled "Human Sexuality". The course number was, and I'm not making this up, SOC 269.

Dan

Thanks Dan J, I figured it would be in something like the social sciences, but it would probably a short part of the days lecture and then dropped until the final exam asking about the erotic behavior of males. Hey Dr. Shoe, Yeow! Male heeling has to be a part of a shoe design course, at least from now on as we make a more indelible impression as customers in the market place. The selection over the internet verifies the fact of the increasing sales of heels for men. How many of the mainstream advertisement are there that specifically address high heels for men?

What about on a footwear design course :roll: !

Interesting question, Dr. Shoe. I would like to hear from any who are involved in fashion design, if footwear design (and I would presume, footwear construction) is included in the course corriculum, and if so, how is it taught.

Not being in the industry, my guess would be that there are probably "standard" (stereotypical) foot models used in design, and I'll bet this hasen't changed much.

Anyone care to comment?

Dan

Has any one taken a class any where, that discusses males wanting to wear high heels and etc.?

I have never attended a class like one that you mention above. I did take a class at work (off hours class) called Time Management. There were several female managers in the class and they shared stories of how they would would have to attend "walk-around shortage meetings in high heels, and "run" from meeting-to-meeting while wearing high heels. One of the women asked if we men had ever experienced that. One man spoke up and said, " no, I only wear my high heels on Saturday nights." It got a nice chuckle out of the class. Now after being part of this website and conversations, I wonder if he wasn't kidding?:roll:

Ron: I wonder the same thing. Actually, I wonder if the women who asked the question (about men experiencing "that") had first-hand experience with men wearing heels. Perhaps their b/f, co-workers, husbands? After all, why else would they ask? Dan

That is an interesting statistic, Dan J and roniheels! Then again how many heelers have hidden their desire from a SO. That statistic will be forever left to the abyss. One would think that this topic of male heeling would have a greater part in the curriculum of human behavior with so many incidences being news worthy and with so many of our maturing populous having to deal with so many things that don't fit what they are being told about who and what they are.

In history classes, for example, it is often explained that before, during, and after the French Revolution, many of the male French royalty daily wore high heeled shoes with their attire. Even during the days of before, during, and after the American Revolution, many of polititians such as George Washington wore higher heeled shoes with buckles as part of their formal fashion. Do we need a new "Revolution" to spread the word for the wearing of high heels by men?

Ron: Great minds think alike. Funny you mentioned this - just this evening, I pulled out a book I purchased a while back on the history of rock and pop music, going from approx 1950 to nearly present-day (early 2000's). I could not get over how many male performers back in the 1970's and early 80's wore heels - granted, they were the thick, chunky type, but virtually every guy wore heels. Remember ABBA? The male guitarist wore what looks like 4" heels. Very interesting..... Dan

Dan J. Many of us "old timers" from the early 70's wore boots with heels like you mentioned and even platforms in shoes and sandals. My boots ran from 2-3" heels depending on the style that I had at the time. Many of the boots sold for "women" today are no different than what we wore back then. We had no trouble at all as far as acceptance either. It's a shame that the styles today aren't as liberal as they were at that time.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Doc: You jogged my memory - thank you! Being a part of the same group of "old timers" myself (still getting used to that label), I recall owning several pairs of shoes, even some boots ("high-tops", they were called) that, by today's standards, the "kids" would call "retro" - we would call "funky". OK - that's enough quotes for one post. There's probably a limit. You're right; we've seemed to have gone backwards, in terms of fashion open-mindedness. I wonder if the conservative political arena over the years shaped the attitude - or, were fashion and politics a reflection of a more general attitude. Dan

Did anyone else here see that guy from "Kiss" that was on Jay Leno's show a few nights ago? He was wearing a pair of kneehigh leopard print boots with 4" platforms and about 6" or 7" block heels. He even did a little "dance" on stage.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yes, I remember ABBA. And there were so many other males in rock, soul and disco groups that wore those high (4" and 5") clunky heels, some with platforms. I think we've all agreed that if many male performers would now consistantly wear high heels in their act, I really feel a trend might begin, especially with younger people.Isn't that similar as to how punk and goth started?:roll:

Roni: I agree - first the trendsetters start it, then - who knows? Although, I have trouble imagining a "watered-down version" appearing in Sears (department store) years from now but......you never know. Dan