So far, life's good while wearing whatever I want in public

Maximilian

Hi everyone :santa_hat:

It's been a while since I've posted an update so here is a long one:

I've been street heeling regularly for the past few months, basically running errands, going to restaurants, movies and more in heels. I don’t go to the bars/clubs/lounges dressed like this since I don’t like being around guys who might not think straight with all the booze in their system. That could cause a nasty incident. I'd like to go to a dance club where people would be more open to the idea of alternative fashion (and is not a gay bar or BDSM etc.) but it's hard to find in Edmonton.

Interestingly, over these past few months I can’t recall a single over the top incident that involved other peoples' reactions to me. The "worst" reactions were people looking again at me, talking amongst them after spotting me etc. I wear 3-4 inch heels. The main reason for that is that I simply cannot walk in higher heels. Some of my 4 inch heels are hard to walk in for more than a few minutes so I only wear them at home. Even if I could wear heels higher than 4 inch, I'd probably venture up to 5 inch heels because in my opinion heels higher than 5 inch lose their elegance (a major personal factor why I do wear heels), no matter who wears them.

I've added a few more heels to my collection since my last update and have been experimenting on different stylish looks that incorporate the heels.

I've had a few significant personal breakthroughs regarding my fashion dress code.

The first breakthrough came when I gathered enough confidence to stop hiding my boots under my jeans. I feel that the boots I have simply look too good to hide them. Wearing boots with a pair of skinny jeans is a lot of fun and I love the look on me.

The second breakthrough occurred when I've gone out with a pair of stiletto pumps for the first time. I love how they look with a pair of jeans/skinny jeans/dress pants.

The third breakthrough came when I gathered enough courage to go out in public with a skirt on. I've always liked skirts as well as heels and always wanted to wear them in public. I don't consider it cross dressing since I have no desire to pretend being a woman. The first outing (the supermarket) was tense but hardly as tense as the first outing in high heels. I did get a few looks but nothing special.
Since then I've gone out in skirts a few more time, in high heeled stiletto boots as well. I wore my skirt/high heeled combo to the movies and to restaurants. With the skirt/high heel combo, I feel that I've reached my ultimate personal fashion goal and that feels simply fantastic.

The fourth and most important breakthrough for me came when my dad and brother arrived for a visit. I've reached a personal level of comfort that I was ready for them to find out about my extended taste of fashion. I found their initial reaction quite funny. My brother walked into my room and looked inside my walk-in closet to discover my collection. He asked me with a puzzled look on his face if I was sharing the closet with a woman and I simply told him and my dad that the shoes were mine and continued by explaining why I wore high heels and skirts. They were naturally quite shocked and they didn't seem to "get it" at that moment. Over the next few days (after they got over the initial shock) we had the chance to talk about it and although they find my fashion choice strange, they have no personal problem with it. Since my brother and father found out about it, I also told my mom. Her initial reaction was surprise (I actually thought that she suspected something while I was living at home). She thought that it was weird but other than that, as long as I was comfortable with what I wore and was willing to deal with other peoples' reaction to my fashion style, she was very accepting and appreciated the fact that I was the one who told her.

Although I didn’t care too much about what my family would think once I told them, it was a great to be able to share my biggest secret with loved ones and a big confidence boost that they were accepting to the idea and that it had no impact over my relationship with them. I even go out with my brother while wearing heels and even skirts and he doesn’t mind at all. People probably think we're more than just friends lol! He even saved me once from slipping in the supermarket while wearing heels. Now all I have to do is find a girlfriend who would be accepting as well, like some of you lucky guys on this forum who have them.

For a detailed view of me wearing my latest fashion outfits, you may check out the topic "Share your best freestyle fashion pictures here" topic in the "for the guys" section.

On a final note to all you guys out there, especially those who are still to afraid of going out in public, I've been reading the posts on this website for years. When I began wearing heels in my early twenties I didn't dream of finding the courage to tell my family or friends about it and I most definitely wouldn’t have dreamed of going out in public. Thanks to the personal stories and encouragement of the various members on this great website, I can now walk in public wearing a gorgeous pair of high heeled shoes/boots (and even with a skirt) with my head high and a smile on my face. Naturally I have days where I don't feel like receiving the public attention (whether I'm aware of it or not) but on days when I don’t care, it's simply great wearing whatever you want. Find the courage in you and find out for yourself the joys of street heeling.

Max: I most enjoyed reading your exploits. I was both highly impressed and amazed with the level of courage you exhibited in your outings, especially when you sported skirts. Incredible! I have no doubt that any heeler still in the closet can look to you as a source of inspiration. More power to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks for some inspiring stories, and a great post Maxamillian. Glad to hear you're comfortable with where you find yourself now.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Hi Knee boots, Too bad indeed. How is Calgary for street heeling? Where did you go street heeling in Edmonton? I've walked West Ed in heels quite a few times but found it tiring to go from one end to the other. I've never shopped at tall girl but I've been to the store before. How were the salespeople?

i wish i had the stones you do to wear what you want. I'm in the military and that would end my carrer if i was caught out in public with some heels on and a skirt. I'm 29 and sometimes when it comes to doing what i want and wearing what i want my choices were taken away from me. but i defend you're right to wear whatever you chose, so have fun and yes i'm jealous.

Hi wxman25

I know how it is like when being in a dominantly male environment such as the military (been there, done that) or at a job with mostly male co workers (doing that now). In your shoes, I'd also keep it a secret, maybe let your closest friends know or people that you completely trust when you feel comfortable to do so.

While I reached a point where I can wear high heels and skirts in public comfortably, it didn't mean that I've become comfortable to wearing them EVERYWHERE. You have to use your head when deciding on the location to wear what you want. Some guys on the forum are comfortable enough to go to a pub/bar in heels, I'm not because I regard it as a potentially hostile environment, at least when it comes to the bars here in Edmonton.

That being said, as long as complete strangers keep their opinions about my dress code to themselves or do not take their objections to the physical level, I couldn't care less. I do mind what people who have some sort of power over me think (employers for instance) because exposing myself to them could have negative consequences. I wouldn’t want my current employer or coworkers to find out about me because that could have a negative impact in my opinion, even though the last place I'd wear heels and skirts would be in my job (safety hazard). In a worst case scenario, someone from work sees me in public and confronts me, I would do my best to act natural as if I have no problem that he/she found out. I take the chance because I live in a big city and doubt someone would find out. If they did, it won’t be the end of the world though; my guess is that it would come down to them not caring what I do on my free time but every now and then they'd have a joke on my expense.

To sum up my 2 cents, wear what you like in public but make sure you use your head and choose the locations wisely. Think about the pros or cons of revealing your fashion choices to people who know you. I think that those who really care about you and are true friends won’t care. They'd probably bust your balls for fun (friends will be friends) but one should be able to laugh at himself and not take everything too seriously.

Hi wxman25

I know how it is like when being in a dominantly male environment such as the military (been there, done that) or at a job with mostly male co workers (doing that now). In your shoes, I'd also keep it a secret, maybe let your closest friends know or people that you completely trust when you feel comfortable to do so.

While I reached a point where I can wear high heels and skirts in public comfortably, it didn't mean that I've become comfortable to wearing them EVERYWHERE. You have to use your head when deciding on the location to wear what you want. Some guys on the forum are comfortable enough to go to a pub/bar in heels, I'm not because I regard it as a potentially hostile environment, at least when it comes to the bars here in Edmonton.

That being said, as long as complete strangers keep their opinions about my dress code to themselves or do not take their objections to the physical level, I couldn't care less. I do mind what people who have some sort of power over me think (employers for instance) because exposing myself to them could have negative consequences. I wouldn’t want my current employer or coworkers to find out about me because that could have a negative impact in my opinion, even though the last place I'd wear heels and skirts would be in my job (safety hazard). In a worst case scenario, someone from work sees me in public and confronts me, I would do my best to act natural as if I have no problem that he/she found out. I take the chance because I live in a big city and doubt someone would find out. If they did, it won’t be the end of the world though; my guess is that it would come down to them not caring what I do on my free time but every now and then they'd have a joke on my expense.

To sum up my 2 cents, wear what you like in public but make sure you use your head and choose the locations wisely. Think about the pros or cons of revealing your fashion choices to people who know you. I think that those who really care about you and are true friends won’t care. They'd probably bust your balls for fun (friends will be friends) but one should be able to laugh at himself and not take everything too seriously.

If I can add my 5cents, most venues are o.k. but you may find going with a group of friends overcomes nervousness. Why do you think heelmeets are so great?. Read up the meetings threads and see how far the guys have taken heeling.

totter along into history

Max: The more I read from you, the more I admire you for your courage to wear what you want, when you want, especially skirts, and your ability to feel supremely comfortable in your own skin while doing so. Remarkable! I'm sure this didn't happen overnight, that it took a great deal of time and energy for you to build up your confidence and commit yourself fully to your own brand of fashion freedom. And that confidence definitely shows in all your pictures that you were kind enough to display for us here. When I see the pics of you in a skirt and heels, I see a strong sense of style and boldness, maybe even fierceness, not to mention how you look so natural in such outfits as well. It's like you're silently saying in those pics, "Here I am! Accept me or not, but I'm here to stay!" I don't mind admitting that you're a true inspiration to me, and I hope to read more of your amazing exploits in the future. More power to you, my friend!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Max, I appreciate strongly your dose of reality; you do not want to bite the hand that feeds you! I applaud your discretion and courage! I know that I couldn't even attempt the heel thing at work; I would be hounded out of there!!

It's all about the heel!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for sharing your stories with us Max. You have inspired me. I enjoy each day in public in high heels thanks to the inspiration of you and others like you who have shared their stories of dressing in high heels and such in public. Thanks again.;)