being out there

lorriette

Today I met a long standing friend at a d.i.y. superstore nr. Cardiff ( half way between our respective homes ). So what?, you ask?. I chose to wear grey suede boots, 7.5cm semi-wedge heels, fully on display.[ Evans awo7 size 8 (42)] Having walked all around the store, taken a long coffee break [ in store ] and then crossed two large carparks to do grocery shopping in Asda ( owned by wallmart), once again covering almost all the store, guess what?. Nothing. Not a look, snigger, comment. I wear heels most daily, the above is the norm. This forum is littered with guys telling you the self-same thing, this is not fantasy, this is real life. Want to wear yours outside?, don't sit back until it's " the done thing", just do it, you'll wonder why it took you so long.

totter along into history

I've been out several times now with just 1 bad comment so far, but the patheticness of it kind of helped almost. Basically there were 3 builders that started by saying mate and few times and then you've got your mothers boots on. 1, I'm not their mate 2. They're mine 3. They don't have a point. If thats the best people can come up with against it what have you to worry about, this was in quite a busy area also and no one else around cared. I'm going to stay with some friends who live quite a long way from home soon, I don't know any people there except them and I told them about my heels thing a month ago or so and they're all fine with it. Should be fun :smile:

I have been wearing mine for a couple of months now in public. VERY fer, if any people notice. In the last 2 months, I had twice that I know of that someone noticed. Once was at the mall where a group of retired ladies were whispering to each other looking at me walking with the wife. The second was a couple in their 50s sitting on a bench at another mall that were obviously disturbed by my heels but didn't say anything. I am still apprehensive to wear stilettos but I get braver the more I go out. I wear the shoes in my avatar and some tan sketcher boots that look like men's boots but they have a 4" block heel. I wear boot cut jeans with longer legs that cover almost all the heel when standing. I dream of the day I can wear my black patent ankle strap 5" Betsy Johnson stilettos through the mall without worrying at all. CJ

Duck & Cassie J, you bear out what I said. Personal confidence is the key to male heel wearing. I rarely wear stilettos outside, not because of the thin heels showing, but because i'm too heavy and so damage the tips.

I have been trying for ages now to get out wearing heels in public , but each time I try, I convince myself something is not right and I chicken out. I have been out in heels late at night, and I have no problem shopping for heels so where is the problem? I know every one here will say just do it! but i wish it was that easy, anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get over this and get out there!

I have been trying for ages now to get out wearing heels in public , but each time I try, I convince myself something is not right and I chicken out.

I have been out in heels late at night, and I have no problem shopping for heels so where is the problem?

I know every one here will say just do it! but i wish it was that easy, anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get over this and get out there!

If you have a SO that is supportive it can help, or just keep in your mind this might be your last day on earth and you need to spend it by just being you and who cares what everyone else thinks. Just do it!

real men wear heels

What everyone says is true, mithril769, that 98% of the people you encounter could care less what you are wearing on your feet. The other people might notice, but not react in anyway what so ever. There are, however, a few people that notice that will have a reaction. It's hardly ever bad, though.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I have been trying for ages now to get out wearing heels in public , but each time I try, I convince myself something is not right and I chicken out.

I have been out in heels late at night, and I have no problem shopping for heels so where is the problem?

I know every one here will say just do it! but i wish it was that easy, anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get over this and get out there!

My suggestion for your first outing is to check out some possible places first. Look for places like big department stores where you can blend in among the racks and displays. Avoid places with long inescapeable aisles. If you plan to wear clicky heels, find a place with soft floors or carpet. Find a place where you can get from the car to the door to among the racks with a minimum of exposure. Or, choose a dark restaurant and go get a booth on a slow night.

After you do it once and you find no one notices, your confidence will build and soon it will be almost second nature. Good Luck!

"It's just a flesh wound"

First, your in England, there seems to be alot of members from England. Try going to one of the high heel meets, where everyone else is wearing. Then branch out from there.

Certain cities seem to be a little more open to breaking the mold in mens fashion, NY, Las Vegas, London, Paris, Santa Fe, Detroit. Sorry, you can cross out Detroit. Try visiting one of these cities, or some that I have failed to mention.

Good luck,

Guy

Last night I considered Tbg's outings, listed elsewhere, and the start to this thread. Thighbootman is pushing his envelope with a v8 chevvy, whilst I am using a 50cc. moped. You can't but admire his efforts, but using his mirror test system, I could not street-heel in his style, and believe that the majority of guys in the u.k. are a much more conservative bunch. If for the next year or so, we men wear our heels in numbers, the mocking press and brainless - oh look, there is someone to call out to, crowd, can be silenced, thus paving the way for us to wear stylish heels openly. When we reach this status, it will be up to us to make sure that heels remain a part of mens fashion, and come to this site like a friendly chat room rather than a place to decry our failure to be liberated.

Hi,

I had the same feeling as you but I learned from some threads in this forum that the best thing to do is to look at yourself fully dressed, with the shoes on, in a mirror where you can see yourself from head to feet. If you like what you are seeing, just open the door and go out wherever you want. If you feel that there's something wrong, you're probably right - stay home.

Good luck,

Celso.

That's not always true... I've gone out in immaculate make-up and have got read all the time and other times I've gone out with crap make-up without so much as a flicker...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

believe that the majority of guys in the u.k. are a much more conservative bunch.

I'd say American males are more conservative fashion wise than British males. We Brits have the influence of European style on our side. American men are a lot more dowdy than British men - being sat on a commuter train between Westchester Co and GCT proved that.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Hi,

I had the same feeling as you but I learned from some threads in this forum that the best thing to do is to look at yourself fully dressed, with the shoes on, in a mirror where you can see yourself from head to feet. If you like what you are seeing, just open the door and go out wherever you want. If you feel that there's something wrong, you're probably right - stay home.

Good luck,

Celso.

Hi Celso, I like your answer. I had never any problem with going outdoors on high heels, I'm doing it simply!

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Hi Micha, Alles Gut? I've been in Frankfurt with my wife last October and I had the impression that people are much more open minded that here in Rio de Janeiro. I still think that high heeled boots and block heels are the only styles that go OK with male jeans and shirts. My strappy sandals, slingbacks, stilletos and platforms stay home. Aufwiederlesen, Celso