WARNING: Stepping backwards in stilettos could be hazardous (to someone else)

Stilettography

My wife and I were walking around in a shopping centre one morning looking for a new outfit for her. While she was doing what women do best, I was waiting near a pillar in the fairly busy store, out of the way of all the traffic due to some promotion. As I was standing there, looking at the people (as I always do), a flash of light caught my attention. I turned my head and noticed that it came from the shiny metal stiletto heels of a woman who was also interested in the items on promotion. My focus was immediately on her as her stilettos were utterly the draw card that captured my attention towards her. She wore a pair of black leather pumps with a sharp pointy toe and a pencil thin curvy metal heel that flashed each time the spotlights reflected off its shiny surface.

I was entirely enthralled by these sexy shoes and I found myself following her every move. It was at one point where the area where she was standing became quite busy that I noticed something alarming and literally sent a cold shiver down my spine. She had pulled off an article of clothing from the rails and in order to try it on she stepped back to give herself more room. As she stepped back I saw how her sharp stiletto came down just millimetres from another woman’s foot. This woman was wearing flip flops, so her entire foot was totally exposed and almost impaled by the metal spike heel. Since they were both so busy with their shopping, neither of them was aware of how close they came to a frightful accident.

It is this incident that made me wonder how many times this has happened where a misfortunate foot ends up on the wrong side of a stiletto heel? I could certainly imagine it happening on crowded dance floors, or in confined spaces like in trains or buses, etc.

So, in retrospect, the moral of the story would be; never stand behind a woman wearing stilettos!!!, or, if you are wearing stilettos try not to step backwards without being sure that there is no person’s foot or pet behind you that might be impaled by your stiletto! (Unless that is what you intend to do...!! OUCH!!!)

It happens to dancers sometimes, and to me three times. If your toe is stepped on hard, it takes almost a year to completely heal. Men's dance shoes are very thin and flexible, and women's are usually open.

No, no, no! You guys are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Anyone who wears flip-flops DESERVES to have his/her foot impaled!

HA HA HA!

GWL

Ha Ha... This is quite a different perspective....but actually I can agree with you... Flip Flops is a crime and deserves to be punished....

Very well put!!!

• 1 month later...

It is this incident that made me wonder how many times this has happened where a misfortunate foot ends up on the wrong side of a stiletto heel? I could certainly imagine it happening on crowded dance floors, or in confined spaces like in trains or buses, etc.

So, in retrospect, the moral of the story would be; never stand behind a woman wearing stilettos!!!

Way back in about 1960, when it was quite difficult to stand behind a woman not wearing stilettos, I was in the queue at a bus stop in West London on a rainy day. The young woman standing at the front of the queue was suddenly splashed with dirty water as a passing car ran through a puddle and, quite understandably, stepped backwards a pace. Her stiletto came down on the foot of the woman behind her, piercing the latter's unprotected foot just behind the toe box of her court shoe. The woman in front came out of her shoe as her foot twisted and she fell into the gutter, fortunately without getting too wet or run over. The victim screamed, collapsed on the pavement and nearly passed out. Fortunately, a nurse (in flat shoes!) was also in the queue and gave first aid to what was clearly a nasty bleeding stab wound. I didn't look too closely and was rather glad that my bus came along at that point. I can't say the incident spoiled the allure of stilettos for me but it made me cautious of their potential for injury in the wrong hands (so to speak), especially when I later took up ballroom dancing.