The Model Railway Thread

Hi Calv, regarding my basement you should remember even my own car had to sleep outside because lack of space. If I had elected to collect model cars instead of real ones the problem would have been resolved a long time ago. Always the same problems, choices to make, luckily not always as hard as which shoes I'm going to wear tomorrow.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any shows in southern England that people are going to? I hope to go to the Brighton model show next Friday, but I'll have two kids in tow :smile: There are probably others coming up. I have a Fleischmann N-guage layout, and am slowly adding to it. The scenery's almost non-existent at present, but I must get down to working on it.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Wow, amazing. The model train thing is intriguing. I have a big pile of train stuff. I have HO, HOn3 (3 foot narrow gauge in HO, like the prototypes in the mountains of Colorado), and N. I mostly model US prototypes, altho have some British stuff. I'm a big fan of the fabulous streamliners of the 40's and 50's, especially the EMD E and F units. Currently in my ranch is a tiny 2 foot by 3 foot N layout. It's so small I actually "finished" it, and it looks like a slice of Nevada: sort of bleak and desolate, with a dusty mining town, mountains, and lots of sagebrush.

Well, the Brighton show was good, and I picked up a particular loco I'd been looking out for for ages. Wore 4" Bertulli boots, which were fine. If I hadn't had our two boys with me I *might* have tried my ordinary 4" loafers. Another time, perhaps!

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Wellingborough show is now over and the Thomas the Tank Engine layout we took has won an accolade. Best Performance! May have been the fact that we just left 3 trains running all day and mopped up the accidenst that occasionally happened. Plus the music playing was enough to make it an enjoyable layout for kids and adults alike. So we now have a nice shiny brass plate to fix to the trophy board :smile: I just collected another class 158 multiple unit to complete the 158 fleet. This time it's a First North Western liveried example. Brings the total to 6 for class 158. Now to finish off the 101, 117, 150, 155, 156 fleets. Class 170 Turbostar fleet is complete at 3 examples; 2 Midland Mainline & 1 Central. My Pacer fleet is complete with 7 models in 6 liveries; Provincial, GMPTE, North West Trains, Regional Railways blue, Merseyside yellow and Northern Spirit. If anyone has any british multiple units for sale, give me a shout! Particularly interested in diesel units. My locomotive stable has to be increased with 37's, 47's, 66's and a 67, but I think I might wait for Bachmann's class 37 offering before buying a third Lima model. After all, I need something strong enough to haul this 16 JGA wagon train. Certainly not the lightest of trains. My layout is progressing with retaining walls been erected on part of the layout, just waiting for more money to buy more walling to complete this board, never mind the other one. Electrical feeds are done, point motor control is yet to be wired in. Then I'll make the control panel, once I've bought the extra controller, transformer and capacitor discharge unit. Work will be going on a fair old rate so I may not be around as much. The layouts first public showing will be in June, so not much time left considering that I haven't even ballasted the track (eek!) Maybe I shall start taking pictures of the layout as it's progressing and provide a link to the website. My local model shops will love that! B) In the meantime, I will keep my heels on, except when lying underneath a baseboard with a soldering iron trying to solder upside down (lucky I found my safety goggles). 4" heels and lugging baseboards around don't go together too well B)

Sounds like you've got your work cut out there Francis. Are you returning your Class 170's for re-engining like Midland Mainline are doing? Hear theres a loco hauled train starting on the Midland Mainline tomorrow with locos hired from Fragonset, rumour has it that 45112 will be working tomorrow. The rest of you wont have a clue what this message is about. sorry folks. :???:

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

that's probably one thing the model has in common with the real thing, as some models had to be returned to Bachmann for remotoring. My own models have been fine and performed faultlessly to date :smile: Might go down to the station later and check out what's on haulage, it's been a few years since I saw a 45 Peak and considering that they used to be the mainstay of the tractive effort on the midland, it should be a crowd puller. Catch you later! If anyone wants me, I'll be down at the station (not collecting numbers). Number collecting is under-rated, photographic evidence is more believable B)

• 2 weeks later...

well I've managed to get someone from the Fragonset stock 47709 Dionyss was the motive power on the return train from Wellingborough on friday. It's great to be able to stick your head out of the windows of mk2 stock being hauled by a real diesel :smile: just a pity that it was dark B) luckily the lighter nights are returning so I may just get a few decent pictures in the evenings or I'll have to down the station at 10:30am for the southbound working! All this means now is that I have to go get a model of a Fragonset 47 with Intercity exec liveried mk2d's. More expense! I shall be taking a picture of the layout once I have the ballasting work done. The S&T permanent way gangs are in possession of the line at present installing a 3 aspect signal to the gantry B)

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning an EM layout (I'm really a P4 man but EM is a worthy compromise). It's going to be set in Walford just before the war (WWII) and will feature businesses run by Butchers, Fowlers and Mitchells and will actually be the furthest east that the GWR ever got (!). The scenario will involve the GWR's attempt to beat the Great Eastern into East Anglia and the east coast ports such as Harwich and Felixstowe. They lost the race and the Mandarins at Swindon decided it wasn't worth continuing beyond Walford (Tudor Street). There is going to be a porceline factory originally opened by Daniel Defoe in the early 1700s on the site of one of Henry VIII's hunting lodges. I'm going to take some modern firms and give them vintage lorries. For example there will be a Securicor Omega lorry, a Stagecoach bus, a UPS van etc. Just to see if anyone will notice! :smile: The location will be about 3/4 of a mile (1.2Km) from Albert square.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Oh absolutely! Hence the reference to Butchers, Fowlers and Mitchells (with Beales thrown in too!) A greengrocer run by Alfred Fowler, The Butcher's Arms and Paul Mitchell is going to run the High Class Hardware Emporium. Ivor Beale and Son will be a general grocer and purveyor of fine foods. The Walford Porcelin Works will manufacture the world famous "Tudor" sanitory ware to give an excuse to run in china clay trains, timber wagons (for cratage) and vans and wagons of every shape and size taking goods out. There will be no parcels or general freight handling as the station itself will be purely passenger. It's still at the planning stage at the moment but I will start as soon as I've finished Ruth's Dolls' House.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Oh no! Not more doll's houses!! Our local shop has gone full tilt at supplying doll houses and everything needed for their construction and fitting out. I still get some of my railway equipment there, but they don't stock as much any more :smile:

• 6 months later...

I think it's time I reveived this subject since a couple of us are heading back towards talk of railways. As per last year, I shall at Corby Railway Exhibition on Oct 12th and 13th running the clubs large OO layout. Seaton measures 36ft by 7ft, so I have plenty of excuses for running my 16 Buxton Lime JGA's (all 12ft of them) :grin: A few new additons have been made to the stock list. A blue class 24 and a Virgin Pendolino (now awaiting extra coaches) for myself and a Ducchess and a Terrier A1X for Jackie. She loves her Terriers (she has 6 of them now and one more on hold) :grin: Jackie has started scratchbuilding, at which she's not brilliant, but learning well. I have continued work on scratchbuilding Seaton's station building and Rushden station builiding, plus I have to make a start on my own for Eckerslike. Too many buildings to make :grin: I should learn to NOT volunteer my skills :smile: Eckerslike performed well at it's first showing despite being incomplete. Received many compliments on innovative ideas and on quality of running. Maybe when I've done more work to it, I should get some request to attend shows. They don't want it at the Corby exhibition because it showed up the club's big layout, Seaton. It's not my fault that the operators couldn't get it right :grin: I had to leave my layout running by itself for half the day while I sorted the problems on Seaton. People pulling wires, leaving stock that transmits electricity over isolated sections and badly running stock all being culprits. That's why we are having running sessions to determine what is going to be running on the exhibition dates. Then after the exhibition, Seaton is going to be left in the trailer so we can start new projects in the clubroom. And about time too! Well enough yap from me otherwise I'll end up writing a whole book on the subject. Not a good idea! If anyone wants more details on the exhibition, like where and how do I get there, just shout!

Eckerslike performed well at it's first showing[...]

Is that related to the famous Yorkshire town where nothing ever gets done?

If anyone wants more details on the exhibition, like where and how do I get there, just shout!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might. My little boy is a big Thomas the Tank Engine fan, so if there's any steam trains going, I might pop up!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

we do have a Thomas the Tank Engine layout :grin:

"ha ha, he thinks after giving him no more excuses for not coming" :smile:

Darn. Could you send me the details, please?

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• 1 month later...

Well, the exhibition was a reasonable success. Seaton performing well. Too well in fact, now they don't really when to store it :grin: Tough! There are other projects that need doing and with Seaton up, we can't do them! So a compromise has come up, she gets stored in the clubroom, but not erected. New projects now on the go are another club members OO scale (14ftx8ft), an N gauge layout (18ftx6ft) and an American HO (12ftx3ft) and there may be another O gauge starting. Guess who's doing most of the wiring? :smile: My stock has grown to include more wagons. 13 x 16ton pressed steel mineral wagons (to be extended to 25) and 11 HEA coal hoppers (to be extended to 42) and 2 Super BG's in RES livery (getting 2 GUV's and a PCV to complete mailtrain). Well now that I've revived the topic and bored some people to death, I'm off :grin:

• 2 months later...

I'm doing an HO layout in my basement. The layout is 10' X 20' and is a copy of a John Armstrong plan. I like the Norfolk and Western (USA) so it's modeled after that RR. Lots more work to do. DCC anyone?

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

I'm thinking of using DCC for my american HO layout. I have ideas of modelling a fictitious roundhouse with a single running line passing the site. Maybe if I use a freeway as a background I might be able to get away with not modelling any residential or Industrial buildings and just restrict it all to railroad only :lol:

DCC is just great. You can indepentantly run trains on the same track. The costs can add up for all the hardware but running is so much better. Check out www.digitrax.com for more info. There are lots of other manufacturers out there but I use this one, since my club uses it too.

All the usual disclaimers apply.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

Zero One was a rather abortive system as it only allowed control of direction and speed of any loco, but not any other controls. Plus it was completed non standard and lots of people still had a fear of micro technology at that time. Now that there is more than one system to choose from and the extra features that can be supported it all seems far more interesting. Not sure that being user freindly would be a major factor, but the ability to control any train, anywhere, at any time must surely be it's key to success. I can see some people getting rather confused with some stock as they might not be able to discern which end of the loco is cab A (forward), This applies to a large proportion of british and european locomotives and multiple units (railcars). Single cab locos are obviously easy. With that said, I will still choose DCC to operate an american layout, but my british outline will remain DC operated, as it's very unlikely that I shall be moving a large diesel with an 08 shunter so DCC won't be needed.

With DCC you can control additional features on the engine, flashing lights or ditch lights as wel call them over here, various sounds if so equiped. An additional feature is the ability to control several engines in MU, or multiple unit configuration. Each engine has its own address and can be controlled seperatly. Data packets are sent over the rails to the receivers in the engines. You can also use one analog engine. It's really a great system.

yeah, DCC has massive advantages over standard control, but in the end it stills suffers from the same problem as a DC system. Pickup! Fail to clean the track and wheels and the trains stall, but I do want the ability to control the lights. A roundhouse with all engines lights on would look fantastic, if a little heavy on the old power supply :lol:

• 2 months later...

I'm now the proud owner of 16 American diesels they are; DD40AX Union Pacific SD40-2 Union Pacific (American Way) SD45 Union Pacific, Burlington Northern, Southern Pacific SD75M Santa Fe (Silver/Red) GP9 BNSF (Heritage I) GP35 Conrail GP38-2 Burlington Northern GP50 Burlington Northern Dash8-40C C&NW, CSX Dash8-40CW Conrail Dash9-44CW Union Pacific Dash7-23B Santa Fe (blue/yellow) FM H16-44 B&O a little lengthy, but it covers them all :wink: